What powder is easier on barrels

Worker

22/250 36.5grs of Varget or 40.5 grs of W-W 760 pushing a 53gr V-max in 12" twist ? The Varget produced slightly better accuracy at 3675 FPS W-W 760 produced 3800 FPS

It isn't that simple. The heat can be spread over more or less distance down the bore. The pressure curves can present different timing.
A relatively small bit more of a way cooler powder(like H1000) can extend barrel life, provided you have sufficient barrel length to reach the same MV with either.
A an example, consider the 6 Competition Match over the 6XC.

But in the case presented here, the barrel life will be the same either way because it's just that close.

Ive heard that about H1000 and the 6CM before and I called Hodgodn and asked one of the engineers about it. He said that it isn't true, he said that a faster powder puts less heat in the barrel and there aint nothing fast about H1000.

In other discussions on this topic, the subject of flame temperature has been mentioned. I am not sure where one gets this information on various powders. Going back a long ways, double based powders that have nitroglycerine content, have been harder on barrels, I believe that this is because of their higher flame temperature. I don't have any specifics on 760, but 748 has been mentioned as having a lower flame temperature than other powders of similar burn rate. Having said all of that, there are other factors that come into this, such as pressure, which in a general way relates to velocity.

Somewhere, I believe, is a chart showing powder variations with their respective CPU ratings. That being said, the 22-250 is not known as being particularly barrel friendly and approaching 3700 fps. You're pretty much at the high end.

22/250

I bet that that he is hunting coyotes with this rifle....big difference between 3650 and 3800 as range increases to 400 yards....I hunted coyotes for years.

Flame Temperature Differences

Another F-Class competitor told me I should give up Varget and go with another Hodgdon powder (I forget which) because it burned "a lot cooler". He based this on putting his hand on the barrel after firing a string. I called Hodgdon and the tech rep told me the guy was full of it, that all their rifle powders burned pretty close to the same temperature and that I would be fine to stick with Varget.

On a similar note, Ramshot Tac burns very clean with minimal copper fouling. If clean burning equates to less wear, then maybe that's worth a try.

Yeah, so & so says all powders are the same...
But per QuickLoad, just sayin:

'Heat of explosion/potential' Kj/Kg
Hodgdon 4198 =>3860
Hodgdon 322 =>4000
Hodgdon 4895 =>4060
Hodgdon 335 =>3980
Hodgdon Varget =>4050
Hodgdon BL-C2 =>3990
Hodgdon 380 =>3970
Hodgdon 414 =>3880
Hodgdon Hy100v =>3545
Hodgdon 4350 =>3760
Hodgdon 4831 =>3870
Hodgdon 4831 SC=>3870
Hodgdon 1000 =>3630
Hodgdon 870 =>3810
Hodgdon US869 =>3700
Hodgdon 50BMG =>4010

There are other attributes of powder that also seem unique to each, but maybe your buddies will tell you otherwise. Seems the BRC culture.

Coyote hunting and full soda pop cans

This rifle is used for Coyote hunting and full soda pop cans exploding, along with paper punching small groups and any fury critters that are legal to shoot ,but that's it I really mean it.... Thanks guys I've learned a bunch.

Back