My 22" bbl 22-250 produces velocities a 26" bbl should

Worker

I have a T/C Ventura 22" 12" twist 5R bbl . 36.5grs of Varget is 3675 and 41grs of W-W 760 is averaging 3800 53gr V-Max . I have no complaints but how is this possible ?

Bullet speeds

Chronographs are nortorious for not being accurate......Most at best are only an estimate...And different barrels will shoot same loads at different speeds.Also a good chrono is exspensive.For true bullet speed you need to test a couple of units, and compare/average.....or,send loaded ammo away to a lab.(I believe White Labrotories still does this ) my Ohler 35P (500$unit)...will also vary...BUT not as much as the less exspensive units.
And most importantly............bullet speed is less important data than accuracy tests.
bill larson

Fired my 22LR through it be fore

My 22 LR measured what it should be . Like I said "No complaints "

Since it's very unlikely those are accurate speeds a different chrono to verify might be a good idea. It's like a speedometer, might be close at 35mph but way off at 85mph.

It seems small cases approach peak velocity in less barrel length... In some cartridges/powders/bullets sawing a 26" barrel off at 18" only reduced velocity 50 ft/sec from 2700 to 2650 in .308 win. The pressure in the case peaks at some point and no longer adds velocity at some barrel length.

I have been building 6,5x47Lapua chambered long range varmint rifles for people with 23" #17 krieger 1:8 barrels. One started as a 26" and I was asked to shorten it for weight balance and making it easier to handle for varmint hunting. I had a Kenton knob calibrated for the old barrel. When I checked it after shortening the barrel, it hit only 2.5" low at 600 yards from where it was....I though hmmm

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...t-barrel-length-muzzle-velocity-and-accuracy/

Back