grizzly 4003g motors???

M

mpatti

About 3 years ago I purchased the 4003G lathe. About a year into owning it the motor would not start the chuck turning. I would have to spin the chuck by hand (real safe) and then hit the switch to get it going. Grizzly did not want the old motor back and they just sent me a new one. I guess it has been about a year and a half or so and I am having the exact same problems with this motor. The kicker is that the lathe has practically no time on it. I have made 5 barrels and I will be going on my 3 rd motor.
Grizzly does not seem like they are going to do much for me. They told me to sand the contact points in the motor. That did not work on the first motor and it did not work on the second either. I am being assured by Grizzly that they do not have trouble with their motors and that I am either unlucky or I am starting and stopping my lathe too much. (5barrels???)
Does anyone know what component of the motor does initial start up?? Does anyone make a replacement motor that would have the same footprint as the 4003G that would be a better quality motor. I do not want to purchase a 3rd motor that I would have little faith in lasting.

mpatti,
I feel your pain. They have to cut off warranty at some stage. Unfortunately they have no way to verify the running time on each lathe.
Butch

mpatti,

A friend recently had similar problems with another type lathe.

He pulled the capacitors off the motor and had them checked at a motor repair shop.

The starting capacitor was bad-----replacing it fixed problem.

Somethng to consider. Good luck.

A. Weldy

The motor name plate will give you all the information you need for your search. Write all the information down and copy that to your search function on your computer. Do a search. If it is a cap start motor, check the cap first thing.

If you have to spin the chuck or motor to get it to run, it's either the start capacitor or start windings. If there's a start capacitor on the motor it'll be external. Replace it and you'll be good to go.

mpatti,
A good friend of mine has a Grizzly [0509 I think] that was doing the same thing. We replaced the start capacitor and that cured the problem. That may fix the 1st motor you replaced as well. The capacitors are not expensive and can be found at Graingers.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies. Grizzly mentioned that it might be the start capacitor. What does it look like and where is it located??? Where do you purchase this replacement part??

Either it's under a metal cover on top of the motor and it's round and black or it is a rectangular metal box like object mounted on the side or top of the motor. It should have two wires on top.

I doubt you would have a shaded pole or split phase motor. They are only found on fractional hp motors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took off the motor. There are 2 covers on the outside and under each one is what looks like a capacitor. Can there be 2 start up capacitors?
I will call Grizzly tomorrow for the info. Thanks to all that responded.

I took off the motor. There are 2 covers on the outside and under each one is what looks like a capacitor. Can there be 2 start up capacitors?
I will call Grizzly tomorrow for the info. Thanks to all that responded.

If you have a VOM it is simple operation to check the caps to make sure that is your problem. The reason for the extra cap is for starting just like the first cap is. So unplug both and check both. Make sure you have a fresh battery in your VOM before you start. They will pull down a battery if they charge the cap.

stop what you are doing right now
a capacitor can hold a dangerous charge, enough to knock you on your ass
take a screw driver by the plastic handle and use the metal part to short out the terminals on the capacitor
one of the cap is prob a start cap and the other is prob a run cap
no need to replace the run cap if the motor runs ok at normal speed

One of them is a start cap and the other is a run cap.
If replacing the cap doesn't solve the problem it will be the start circut. If thats the case take it to a motor repair shop.

The motor shops in my area will not accept a China built motor for work, they will sell capacitors outright. They told me a few years ago that these motor only develop one third their rated horsepower when new and the general build quality is so low that they can't stand behind their work.

I have not check eBay recently but when I've needed motors you can buy quality USA built motors (will a little patience and browsing) for less then the shipping cost.

Ok, here is where I am at. Grizzly did not seem to care that have bought more motors for this lathe than barrels I have produced with it. . . .( ok I am stretching it. . . 5 barrels and 3 motors)
I purchased a new start capacitor and when it comes in I will put it on. The other capacitor is a run capacitor (like you guys told me). I am hoping that this will solve my problem.
Does anyone know of an american made motor that will bolt onto the grizzly 4003G? (I magine that it would need the same footprint and hold the drive pully.) Thanks so much for all of the info.

Back