deep creek range missoula montana

G

gear_jammer359

i am yet to join the sport but i have been told that before i ever get started i need to attend a few matches. and possibly even get a chance to find a great buy on a used rifle. i live an hour away from the deep creek range in missoula montana and i know they have 1000 br there but i'm hoping to see f-class too and compare and figure out exactly what i want. does any one know of this range? could ther be f-class there too? are the matches held at the same time or how does it work? either way at least there is a 1000 yard range thats somewhat local.

you gotta go there!!

You are a luky guy ....there is no better shooting range in the country.....there are several 100-200-300 yd ranges there and down at the target end of the range there is a 600m range that has targets at all distances.....all of the "small' ranges have the line of fire across the property ...then the 1000 yd range shoots over top of all the ranges...so when a 1000 yd event is taking place allother ranges are closed for safety purposes.....and only 1000 yd shooting is done that day....they have pits for the 1000yd targets......while traveling thru the west several yrs ago I stoped there to view the place....it is so senic I dont know if I could shoot...I was too busy watching the eagles soar overhead and lookin at the bears down by the 600yd range...:D...it is one of the premier shooting ranges in the USA....they shoot there thru the winter and contact one of the local shooters and go during an event...I will bet a cup-0-joe that someone will have an x-tra gun and let you shoot a lil...;).....Roger

PS...here is a link that tells more about the place and has "hot links" to more info and maps etc.....
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek029.html

Last edited:
thats good to know. i didn't know if anyone would have even heard of it. thanks for the link i'll check it out.

Here us a link to the Club website:

http://www.mt1000yd.com/

The club president is Ray Huffman, 208-661-6244.
The former club secretary is Duane Capehart, 406-821-3737.

Mr. Capehart is probably the most active 1k shooter at that range and would be a good source of info for anybody that is interested in shooting there.

Jay, Idaho

Sorry,

Tom,

I didn't see the small print at the top, left of the page. I'll know next time.

Jay

PS: Tom is the current Club Secretary.

not a problem, i just want to make sure he feels welcome to call any of us really. i still have'nt figured out how one gets elevted to something without running?hahaha
tom

match schedule and course of fire

If I knew a little moore about your matches, I might pay you a visit next summer. I looked at your web site and I am wondering how many record targets you shoot and how many shots per target.

If I knew a little moore about your matches, I might pay you a visit next summer. I looked at your web site and I am wondering how many record targets you shoot and how many shots per target.

A complete match is shot each Sat and each Sun on a match weekend. Each shooter fires 10 shots for record on one target per day for each class, 17# and Heavy. There are no shoot-offs. All of the shooters in each class shoot their target and then do their pit duty. Then, the shooters shoot their target in the second class followed by their pit duty in that class. On alternating days, Heavy or 17# will shoot first in the day and the other class later in the day. Odds are that you will shoot from different benches for each class on a given day. Bench assignments are are made at the first match of the year for members. Visiting shooters are assigned to open benches but I'm unsure what the criteria is for the assignments.
Five weekends equals ten matches per year plus there is a Championship two day match held in August each year. The Championship match is the most fun and that would by a good choice if you are only shooting one time next summer.
The club also shoots an 11# class after the regular match on Saturday. Actually, they shoot that class two times with a break between the two matches. It is purely a club class with no records maintained by the parent club, the Pennsylvania 1000 Yard Club.
It is a great range with good benches and pits.

Jay, Idaho

gear jammer, F-Class and position matches are held there, also. They are held in conjunction w/ each other and the different classes are recognized for awards. Best range in the State of Mt.

Good range - good people (mostly)

A word of advice to make sure you are welcome.

1. Try to sit next to Capehart on the warm-up.

2. Jump up on the bench and loudly say

3. Which one of you ******* is shooting for second place.

It worked for me at least................

Back