Berger 30 cal heavy Hybrid test

• Thread starter Miche Gallagher
  • Start date
M

Miche Gallagher

Hi everyone! We’re ready to start our last 30 cal Hybrid test. This one is for our 215 and 230 gr Hybrid bullets. These bullets were designed to shoot in a 10” or faster twist barrel. We need people who will be able to complete the testing by Oct 3rd. I’m trying to include as many different people as possible in these tests, so please feel free to email me again if you weren’t selected in past tests. Again I’m very sorry, but due to shipping and customs restrictions, we will only be able to include people within the continental US on the initial test. If you are interested, please send me an email at michelle.gallagher@bergerbullets.com with the following information:

-Name, contact and shipping information.
-Type of rifle you will use to test these bullets (with barrel twist).
-Type of test you plan to conduct.
*please mention that you found this on the Benchrest Central forum.

We are looking for a variety of testing methods, so feel free to test them however you would normally test a new component. Those who are selected will be shipped 1 box each of our new 30 cal 215 and 230 gr Hybrid bullets right away. We will need you to report your results to us by Oct 3rd. Those who provide their results by then will receive another 3 boxes (300 bullets) of any Berger Bullets you choose as a thank-you from us for your time and effort.

We encourage those who are selected to report their results on this forum. We will have more tests coming soon, so keep an eye out for other opportunities down the road. Thank you all, and please let us know if you have any questions!

Warm Regards,
Michelle

Ms. Gallagher,

On behalf of the .30 guys, thanks. As I shoot a 12-twist, I imagine I should not take you up on the offer, though I am currently shooting a 210 boattail on a 1.400 jacket with that twist. But any results I'd come up with would be an oddball factor in a beta test, I'd agree. I'll just wait for the final product.

The real reason for this post is to get in a plea for the guys in Australia. See Jeff Rogers post below.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?76400-New-Hornady-208s&p=642114#post642114

I believe Jeff holds several of the Australian records, and is in pursuit of another this year. With the U.S. licensing fees required for shipping bullets overseas, those guys could really, really use benchrest-quality long-range bullets, more or less readily available.

Do the customs requirements really stop them from participating in the testing? Some of them -- Jeff and Stuart Elliott come immediately to mind -- are world-class shooters, and it would seem Australia is a market willing to be captured.

Best,

Charles Ellertson

shipped as "engineering samples" should cut the paper work....

It is a pity you can't send them over. I have a Brando new rifle with Bat 3 lugs action Krieger 30" barrel 1,45" straight 1: 10 twist and March 10-60 scope.Barrel block and chamber made with JGS reamer expressely made for Berger 210 VLD . It works great . Half inch group for 5 shots at 330 yards

Hi guys. I agree completely. I wish there were something we could do about it, but I don't know all the details involved with the international shipments. Here's a post that Eric recently made on another forum about the same thing.

It is truly unfortunate that we cannot include shooters outside the US in this evaluation as I know many to be well equipped and capable. I understand the need to regulate items that are capable of causing undue harm in the wrong hands but "they" make it so expensive ($250 license fee, shipping, duties, taxes and fees) and the required documents from both sides are so extensive that it is nearly impossible to ship small quantities outside the US. It is simply too expensive and time consuming to expand our testing group outside the US.

The good news is that there are also many shooters in the US who are properly equipped and capable. By running these tests through the US shooters we can more quickly launch these bullets making them available for everyone including our shooting friends outside the US.

If there was a way around this situation we would pursue it. Also, even though this particular organized testing is completed by US shooters, I am eager to hear reports on our bullets from anyone who is capable. You are welcome and encouraged to provide me with any results you observe. We are constantly looking to improve our bullets so all quality information is reviewed and considered.

Kind Regards,
Eric

yea...boo hoooo!!....IM in their current catalog ,set National record with their bullets,,,and didnt get any to test..wink,,,not 6mm or even 30's for my new 30 cal bbl,,hint,hint..hahaha....Roger

Anyone receive any of the 30 cal bullets to test yet? October 3rd results are supposed to be reported, that doesn't leave a whole lot of time to test!....Joe

I was chosen to test the 30 cal heavies and have not received any bullets yet, I'm with you as it doesn't leave much time to test.

That's good to hear, were they shipped USPS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news, mail hasn't arrived yet today.
Maybe I will be shooting these new bullets tomorrow.

Was just going through the 230 grain bullets and have found they will not go though my 309 bushing. I'm leaving today for the range, will be back tomorrow night, I have been wondering how tight bullets will work. Maybe they won't make it 1000 yards. Let you know in a day or two.

Joe Salt

Preliminary testing looks great, 3 shot groups at 300yds and 500 meters were .33 moa with the 230gr bullet out of a 300 RUM shot prone with a bipod and rear bean bag.
Looks like these will be replacing the 240 SMK.
Will be testing later at 1000 and 1200 yds along with shooting them over chronograph.
I'm sure the 215's will be replacing the 210 VLD's if they shoot as good as the 230's.

to those who were luky enuff to get som of these new bullets.....How do they jam vs. any of the commonly used target bullets (Sierra or Berger) ...I am curious if my FB will work with this new configuration .....do they seat deeper or shallower when jammed than a 210 berger or Sierra or any other ....I can do the math if I know what the dif. is....thank you ..Roger

Back