bench building 101

skeetlee

I am home sick from work today, and it is driving me crazy! I hate being sick, and i feel like there is to much work to be done before the crop comes down in two weeks. Most of you have seen or followed my progress on my very own shoot room/range. Most of you also know i am ready to start building my benches. My first thought was to build one solid 2 gun bench across the front of my shoot room. I am now thinking it would be less labor intensive just to build 2 separate, standard type benches. I have an idea that i wanted to run by you fellas, and please let me know what you think. Here goes-
What i am thinking about doing is, to glue 2 courses of block, 4 block high, side by side across the front of the bench, for the front support. I am not going to offset these 8 blocks, that way i can pour the webbing full of concrete at the same time i pour the tops. I will use 4 half blocks for the back leg, or support and also fill the webbing with concrete.'' will there be any issues filling cinder blocks with concrete?" I will use liquid nails " heavy duty" to glue the blocks together before filling them. The bench top,and block legs will be monolithic. I will build the tops on a 4'x4' sheet of plywood in the shape i so desire, and then rest the top form on top of the glued in place cinder blocks. I will then cut the bottom of the plywood out were the block legs are and lower the top form down onto the blocks around 1 inch. I will then support the heck out of the top with 2x4 legs from below, to take the weight of the table while pouring. This will make a little key way sorta, for the top to sit down onto the block, thus allowing the top and the blocks to be filled with concrete. I can also nail a 2x4 nailer across the front wall to help support the weight of the top until it cures and then i can remove it. I will do whatever it takes to support the top while pouring them. Shouldn't be to bad? I will use a 1by for the front form, for the table top so i can have it as close to the window as possible without actually touching the wall itself. If i do this properly all the wood should strip off the sides and drop straight down. I will pull the sides of the bench tops half way through curing so i can rub a nice smooth finish by hand with a little worn out mag float i have. A couple things i question, is the mix i should use? I would normally use a 1" river gravel 6 bag mix but maybe i should use a pea gravel mix so that the concrete flows nicely through the webbing on the block?? Not sure what i will do there? I have a vibrator but it is made for concrete basement walls. That thing may shake the heck out of things?? I will juke the block best i can with a 1 by. Maybe that will be best! I forgot to add that i will also glue the cinder blocks to the concrete floor with liquid nails. I haven't ever used liquid nails, but what reading i can find on this product, it sounds like its a good adhesive. I sure hope so. The home depot has some other adhesive for outside decorative block, and i cant help but wonder if that is a better product? I hope to feel well enough tomorrow to start on these benches. If you fellas have anything to add please feel free to. I will post pics as i go. thanks lee

Lee,

Not an elegant solution or even practical in your case, but it sure was simple! A cubic yard I had poured when the cement trucks were hauling cement for the floor of my facility.
It's even portable at 3,600 some pounds because of the hook I embedded in the top. LOL

Landy

TestFacility1.jpg

TunnelSwindlehurst006.jpg

RailGun01-1.jpg

That would be awesome to have a tunnel like that. Why not make a comfortable bench to shoot from, or is it? I bet its loud in there though, with all that metal. The rim fire wouldnt be bad! Thanks for sharing! Lee

Let me ask you fellas this. What do you think the max height should be from the concrete to the top of a bench?

Also fellas, i just got back from my folks place as i dragged my sick butt out of the house for a bit to take a look at a couple things in the room. While i was there i stacked the the cinder blocks up on the floor just to take a look. The blocks were pretty wobbly. now i am wondering if i shouldn't mortar these blocks rather than gluing them together? I will still fill the centers with concrete when i pour the tops. Any input? I dont know if the glue will have enough body to level up the blocks so they dont move until they harden like the mortar would. I also plan to drill 4 5/8 pieces of re-bar into the floor in the center of the cinder block webbing for the concrete to adhere to. Lee

Last edited:
Skeetlee, there are lots of benches out there built on half blocks and within a few years they are moving. If you have room for
half blocks, there is room for full blocks. Build it in a tee shape and fill them. you won't regret it. Better yet, make a form and
pour the tee solid with re-bar. It is so easy, and looks good on paper, but don't make the bench to long, but Make it wide enough
for good elbow support when sitting square behind the gun.

I am going to use mortar for the front 8 blocks and a sona tube 8" for the rear leg. I think this will be my best bet yet. I really hope i am not wearing out my welcome with all this. I am just excited and my mind never slows down. I didnt sleep but about 2 hr last night thinking about all this. Lee

Skeet,
If you have a nice, smooth concrete floor, you don't need to build the frame on a piece of plywood.

We made our forms from 2x4's and laid them on a piece of plastic on the concrete floor. We poured 2 at a time & built 2 legs on a Saturday morning. The next week we lifted the tops into place with an engine hoist & made 2 more tops and legs.

It took 4 stacked concrete block for each leg, rather than 3. Maybe New England blocks are smaller than elsewhere?

One question; What's your backstop?
Regards,
Ron

We have a low spot that doesnt produce any crop exactly 200 yards from the windows shown in the picture. I have been hauling dirt and 3 year old compost from the city leaf dump. The compost is free and i have a fella that hauls 20 ton loads for me for next to nothing. I will cap the compost off with about 40 tons of fill dirt. The berm will be around 10 high and three times as long. I am building the berm in a u shape as well. Should work well.
I have thought about setting the tops in place after they cure but i just dont think 3 men can do this without taking any chances of someone getting hurt. We do have an engine hoist but i am not sure there would be room to manipulate the hoist properly?? I have to order 1.5 yards of concrete as a minimum or the truck wont even deliver me the load, so this is another reason i am thinking about pouring everything monolithic. I am going to go work on this today, and i will report how things go, if there is any interest. Lee

My front row of blocks will be two blocks wide and 4 blocks tall for a total of 8 blocks. the rear leg will be an 8" sona tube. I will fill the blocks and the sona tube with concrete.

Last edited:
101 shooting bench

Hi Lee, Didn't see a plan for removing the bottom plywood after the pour. I sugest you split it in sections around the legs and splice together with plywood strips and screws together so you can reuse them. good luck, Mike

with a couple cuts it will drop out. I have the benches set but i didnt get them poured yet. havent been feeling real good last few days and i ran out of gas in this 100 degree heat today. Ill post pics after i take a short nap. Lee

Skeet,
You should be able to find someone with a small mixer to borrow or rent. A few bags of mix & you're all set. We put some rebar in the tops, but I doubt it's needed. We lifted the tops with 3 guys - just take it slow & careful. We pried up the top, slid shims under, and used heavy duty towing straps to lift it. Cheaper than a concrete delivery.

The tops are not really not that heavy - hundreds, not thousands of lbs.
Regards,
Ron

Also forgot to mention a range I shot at many yrs ago with dirt piled into a wooden "crib". With bench guns shooting bug holes, after 5-10 shots we shot through 3 or so ft of dirt & the wooden backer! And this was in the days of the deuce.
Regards,
Ron

Here are a few pics of what i got done today for those who care to see. I think i am going to lower the tops down at least 1" from were you see them in the pic. I made a plywood top this afternoon and took the rifle and bags out to see how everything felt. The shape of the bench is great, but it just feels a little to high. If i were to pour as it stands now, the tops would be 35" from the floor. I am thinking 33.5" may be even better, but i will go at least 34". I will just have to see how it feels. My only other real concern is the sona tube. I am afraid it may try and float when being filled. I need to think of a way to hold it into place while pouring the concrete. All in all i think i am doing just fine. The corn tested at 20%, so the crops will be down in a hand full of days from now. Got to get it done!!! Enjoy, and please feel free to comment. Im posting all this for you fellas to enjoy and read, and i am a little excited i must admit about this hole deal. Kinda cool to have a place of your own to go shoot.

benchbuild9211003.jpg

benchbuild9211006.jpg

benchbuild9211004.jpg

I also drilled a 1/2" rebar into the concrete floor for the sona tube leg. I will then tie all the steel together. Just a little extra reinforcement.

Last edited:
i will use a form oil before i pour the concrete. After the concrete sets for a few days i will strip the osb from the bottom. it wont be bad at all. No more glue than they use in this cheap stuff if it doesnt drop down it will rip apart. I will also make 2 small cuts on each side of the block. the back half will fall straight down. the osb in front of the block may take a little work. either way it wont be bad! Lee

33 3/4 is the best i can do here. I just got back from being out there,and i lowered the top as much as i could and still have everything right at the window. I think it will be just fine now. Lee

looks familiar
Split the form thru the middle of the sono tube up to the middle of the blocks. Come off in two halves and is reuseable. I made the holes for the blocks in the plywood oversized so the would come off easier, then put backer rod in the gap before pouring.
2010_07_15_IMG_0069.jpg

Mike
Looks good. Is your rear leg ever in the way of your knees while shooting? I take it the bench is pretty sturdy? Thanks for sharing. Lee

Mike
do you remember any of your measurements? Just curious.

Before you pour

Before you pour anything I would check out any options you might have in procuring any granite for the bench top. As I mentioned in a previous post it was one of the most solid , vibration free bench tops I have ever shot from.
Andy.

Back