2500X-vs-Hall

I own both and others.

The Hall action is smooth as silk and a joy to shoot. Ignition on the other hand leaves much to be desired.

The 2500x just works. No issues. None. bob

When I talked to Gordon Eck about building my Rim Fire BR Rifle, the 2500X was the only one he wanted to work with.

Bob

I own both and others.

The Hall action is smooth as silk and a joy to shoot. Ignition on the other hand leaves much to be desired.

The 2500x just works. No issues. None. bob

Was the ignition erratic, intermittant, or???
What was the cure, if there was one??

I've seen one 2500X (rimfire) that will not eject the rounds. I've heard there's more, but have only seen one. When the action was new, it was flawless, but after several seasons of BR it developed a periodic problem of not ejecting the spent round. After it was worked on many times and a few parts replaced, the problem is still there. Factory says they have not been contacted about any such issues.

Jim: Failure to extract, or failure to eject? There is a difference.

I am familiar with many 2500x rifles. None have had an issue with either if the chamber is clean and the extractors are seated properly in the bolt. Have you changed the spring clip that holds the extractors? Have you ever popped it apart and cleaned the extractor area and then reassembled properly? Is the ejector damaged or not properly attached in the action?

My advice, for what it is worth, call Jerry Stiller and chat with him about your problem. He WILL solve whatever issue you have with your 2500x if you give him a chance to do so. Anyone who buys an Holeshot action, or prior SPF 2500x gets Jerry as support. If you don't use him it is on you not the maker.

To the OP Allan Hall is famous for saying "if it goes bang ignition is okay" I do not subscribe to that. He and I have had many discussions about this over lunch,etc. Yes ignition can be improved. There are a few smiths that will take on the task. bob

Last edited:
Failure to extract.

The rifle is not mine. I shoot a Hall. I know Mr. Stiller was contacted, but he said that issue has never been reported to him. That's really all I know about the issue.

I had a problem with extraction after about 2 1/2 seasons on my 2500X action. I contacted Mr. Stiller and he suggested that I disassemble and clean the extractors and extractor grove on the bolt. I did so but the problem continued. I then changed both the spring clip and the extractors. So far this has solved the problem. I suspect that the problem may have been the spring clip since I could not see any wear on the old extractors.

You might want to check

The extractor grooves in the barrel for debris, if you haven't already. Mebby they are wore out although it would be unusual, OR the extractor grooves aren't deep enough OR, if it's a cone, the cone is a bit too fat.

I've had some issues, over time, with extractors but always been able to solve the problem. Takes a little mechanical aptitude.

Pete

As normal Pete If YOU don"t create a problem you don't have to fix it!!!!!!

You can Try to out think people "GUNSMITHS" That have tried all of your butchered barrel work and gave up on your short Cummings years ago.

Produce some results!!!!!!!!!!

Francis

We didn't really need that if I read that right.

some of these folks are so interesting when they get personal. Glad I don't shoot rf, God knows what my opinions would get me. I thought about it once but came to my senses and sold off the components I had acquired. I came to my senses after reading this RF forum and watching the infighting at the one Maine range that shoots sanctioned RF. Just have one more barrel left to boot out of the house.

Not to be contrary, but 99.9% of the shooters in RFBR are the greatest people on the planet, and I imagine it's the same way with CFBR.

Landy

some of these folks are so interesting when they get personal. Glad I don't shoot rf, God knows what my opinions would get me. I thought about it once but came to my senses and sold off the components I had acquired. I came to my senses after reading this RF forum and watching the infighting at the one Maine range that shoots sanctioned RF. Just have one more barrel left to boot out of the house.

FWIW although folks may differ as to what to air on public forums, this, friend, has nothing to do with differing opinions.
You visited a range and made a broad, universal assumption about a whole population of shooters ?
If you decide not to do something , such is life in a free country, however to lay it off on those assumptions, well that’s pure & simple BS.

Last edited:
About 5 people

have practically killed rimfire shooting. Pretty sad, but true and you all know who you are.

Pete

Back