PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many Nightforce scopes

Pete Roberson
02-24-2013, 07:44 PM
For Sale?
Is there a new lighter one coming out or what?
Thanks!
Pete

cpeters
02-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Pete,
I have thought the same of some of the March scopes coming up for sale.

Charlie

tim
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Are we talking Nightforces for sale here on the classifieds?

On the March's I've heard several folks that got 50's are going back to 40's which seem to be clearer, but that's just hearsay.

Bill Collaros
02-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Answer is Yes, i have read about a new much lighter and more magnification Nightforce but it hasn't hit Down Under yet, i guess u guys will get it first.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/shot-show/

tim
02-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Great link, that looks like a serious optic. It will be interesting to see if shows up in he short range center fire BRworld as well as competition for the LCS's and March's that dominate,

Pete Roberson
02-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Answer is Yes, i have read about a new much lighter and more magnification Nightforce but it hasn't hit Down Under yet, i guess u guys will get it first.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/shot-show/

Great link with the answer!!
Thanks Again!!
Pete

buzzard
02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Great link with the answer!!
Thanks Again!!
Pete

Tony boyer had the new nightforce at the barn at the psl nice scope he was lettin people look thru it on practice friday

Slick Willy
02-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Doyle Anglin has 5 to arrive any day, some where around $2300 per unit.

tim
02-26-2013, 11:01 AM
OK, given the quality, etc, etc, I'm now asking myself and anybody else with an opinion, is there a need in a BR environment, for that kind of variabulity given the additional moving] internal parts and the approx 6-7 OZ weight penalty over, say, a March 40?

bob finger
02-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Tim: Variability? Not needed in my opinion. I would love to see a NF at 40 or 45 or 50 fixed with the same glass in this new 15-55 offering. I suspect when mine gets here I'm gonna set it at somewhere in that range and never move it again. I'm buying it because when I looked through a prototype I was amazed at clarity etc. which made me open my wallet. It is going on a heavy rifle so weight is not an issue.....but if it will work on my 10.5 gun then I will need to find another $2.3K. bob

tim
02-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Tim: Variability? Not needed in my opinion. I would love to see a NF at 40 or 45 or 50 fixed with the same glass in this new 15-55 offering. I suspect when mine gets here I'm gonna set it at somewhere in that range and never move it again. I'm buying it because when I looked through a prototype I was amazed at clarity etc. which made me open my wallet. It is going on a heavy rifle so weight is not an issue.....but if it will work on my 10.5 gun then I will need to find another $2.3K. bob

I'd tend to agree on the variability issue. Without question this will be a great scope, however what I now ask myself and others may ponder is that the March 40 has ED glass, weighs less, is 10% less, and a bulletoroof track record. The 2 I own have been flawless.

bob finger
02-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Tim: FWIW I've looked through more than a few March scopes, though I have never owned one. I cannot recall having my socks curl up looking through a March like they did with the prototype NF. Time will tell.....bob

Doug
02-26-2013, 06:09 PM
All my BR scopes were under $600 and they work as Good as or Better than $1000+ scopes!!
I hope everyone I shoot RF BR against has bought the latest & greatest NF, March or Leopold at Star War’s prices!!!
(Think over $800)
Why??
Because they probably did not put their money where it counts!
Yep if you shoot at 200 or 1,000 yds or after eight at night they might help?
Just A Thought

(Maybe that is why they are for Sale? They can't shoot the Box!)

Pete Wass
02-27-2013, 04:12 PM
All my BR scopes were under $600 and they work as Good as or Better than $1000+ scopes!!
I hope everyone I shoot RF BR against has bought the latest & greatest NF, March or Leopold at Star War’s prices!!!
(Think over $800)
Why??
Because they probably did not put their money where it counts!
Yep if you shoot at 200 or 1,000 yds or after eight at night they might help?
Just A Thought

(Maybe that is why they are for Sale? They can't shoot the Box!)

There is an old adage that goes something like, "one should plan on spending as much or more for the scope they put on their rifle as they did for the rifle itself. I finally will admit that I don't think 2K is too much to pay for absolute reliability. It has taken me a long time to get to this point but I'm there.

Pete Roberson
02-27-2013, 09:14 PM
There is an old adage that goes something like, "one should plan on spending as much or more for the scope they put on their rifle as they did for the rifle itself. I finally will admit that I don't think 2K is too much to pay for absolute reliability. It has taken me a long time to get to this point but I'm there.

So Pete,which one the March or the new Nightforce?

Pete

Pete Wass
02-27-2013, 11:56 PM
So Pete,which one the March or the new Nightforce?

Pete

WELLLLLLLLLLL, I have about determined that a 40X is about all the magnification I want so I would go with a straight 40X and the lightest one. I don't know what the warrantee is on the Nightforce but that might be a consideration as well. Some of my friends had problems with their Nightforce scopes back a few years and got away from them but I haven't heard anything adverse about them in some time now.

It is the opinion of a friend, who knows a lot about optics, that rifle scopes do not need to be a big as they are. He believes great smaller lenses would transmit plenty of light, for our purposes, ergo lighter and less weight up high on the package. Considering we usually don't compete in near darkness, that seems to make sense to me. Some of the clearest and brightest scopes I have looked through are some the old Leups and small lensed ones. Unfortunately, the tactical folks don't seem to be concerned about size or weight so we are to some degree, the victims of the design and marketing directed their way.

burtona
02-28-2013, 03:24 AM
My wallet can't understand the need for a $2,000+ 40, 45, 50, 55 power scope to shoot at 50 yard targets. I can get 5-6 Weaver 36X scopes or 3-4 older Leupold 36X which I prefer, and they give me plenty to see any target at 50 yards. Maybe it's just a contest to see who can have the biggest toys.

TangoTwo
02-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Ya don't suppose the scope maufacturers have heard that old adage about spending as much for a scope as the rifle? With the rising prices of rifles maybe they're just trying to keep up. I've been happy with my used Leupolds and Weavers, then again, I've been acused of being "frugal".;)

Ken Henderson

glp
02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
My wallet can't understand the need for a $2,000+ 40, 45, 50, 55 power scope to shoot at 50 yard targets. I can get 5-6 Weaver 36X scopes or 3-4 older Leupold 36X which I prefer, and they give me plenty to see any target at 50 yards. Maybe it's just a contest to see who can have the biggest toys.

And people will buy. Why do people trade in perfectly good autos that will last another 5 years for a new one?

Regarding scopes it's about total, absolute reliability in holding POI and in honest adjustments that don't walk on you. A nice optic is important too. Serious competitors know this. Time, travel, equipment costs all factor in as well as lost opportunity to an unreliable scope which is unacceptable to many.

I've never used a Weaver on a rimfire. I have used a total of six of them on my center fire 30 BR comp score rifle. Every single one of them eventually gave up the ghost..would not adjust and/or would not hold POI. I've moved on to two frozen Leupold competition scopes in Brackney mounts and have been totally happy with them. Good optics and solid internals design and execution are not cheap. The new NF...reliable internals...yet to be proven IMO. Good luck. Greg

bob finger
02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Ken: Wear the term frugal as a badge of honor. Now, if you had said cheap, that is a different story entirely.

I'm a fan of Weaver T36's. I have several and each one has never failed me mechanically. On the other hand my tournament rifles all wear either NF or Leupold scopes. I shoot tournaments indoors in very poor light and once in a while at twilight or even under lights outdoors. And my eyes are not those of a fighter pilot; never were. In conditions mentioned above the T36 does NOT shine for me. bob

James M.
02-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Walt Berger used a Marsh rifle with a short light barrel and the new NF Competition scope (15X-55X w/ 50 mm Obj. lens) to win the 2-gun at Visalia. I received one of these scopes today for evaluation. James Mock PS- He made the 10.5 # limit with the 27 oz. scope, but the rifle shown weighs 10.8 pounds.
http://i47.tinypic.com/121xy5j.jpg

tim
02-28-2013, 05:01 PM
WELLLLLLLLLLL, I have about determined that a 40X is about all the magnification I want so I would go with a straight 40X and the lightest one. I don't know what the warrantee is on the Nightforce but that might be a consideration as well. Some of my friends had problems with their Nightforce scopes back a few years and got away from them but I haven't heard anything adverse about them in some time now.

It is the opinion of a friend, who knows a lot about optics, that rifle scopes do not need to be a big as they are. He believes great smaller lenses would transmit plenty of light, for our purposes, ergo lighter and less weight up high on the package. Considering we usually don't compete in near darkness, that seems to make sense to me. Some of the clearest and brightest scopes I have looked through are some the old Leups and small lensed ones. Unfortunately, the tactical folks don't seem to be concerned about size or weight so we are to some degree, the victims of the design and marketing directed their way.

Pete, wouldn't you think at this stage of the game you might cease with the 2nd and 3rd hand crap. Is this the same friend that told you the sporter rules changed? If you have no valid questions or nothing to add( yet again) don't wate everybodies time(yet again).

Bill B
02-28-2013, 06:36 PM
All this talk of $2K scopes and scope failures got me thinking I should get a new scope just in case my 10 year old Sightron SII decides to give up the ghost this year. So I decided to be proactive and upgraded to the Sightron SII BigSky 36X and at $600 all your talk of $2K scopes has me thinking it's a damn bargain.

glp
02-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Who's your secret admirer in upstate NY? :confused:

If I lived in NY I'd prolly be a bit angst too!!

Flykiller
03-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Pete, wouldn't you think at this stage of the game you might cease with the 2nd and 3rd hand crap. Is this the same friend that told you the sporter rules changed? If you have no valid questions or nothing to add( yet again) don't wate everybodies time(yet again).

Tim my friend , You must be having a really bad day . I don't post on here much as you can tell and I'm not a mod. but I really don't feel like Wilbur keeps this forum going so people could come on here give an opinion and get personally attacked . I do know that all our feet are made of clay and the only perfect one was the potter . Hope tomorrow is a better day for you pal . Later . - Clint

William Smith
03-01-2013, 08:44 AM

Been drinking your bath water again Tim? I see no one berated you for mis-spelling "waste". Play nice.

tim
03-01-2013, 09:47 AM
First hand knowledge and personal opinion would seem to be the lifeblood of forum threads. Rumor..... 2nd , 3 rd hand stuff.... Not so much.

josephwatson
06-26-2013, 05:58 AM
I am a new member & have recently joined here. I think the Nightforce scope is an extremely significant product that comes with high magnification range. Its long objective lens provides maximum clarity and resolution across the entire magnification range. This advanced field tactical scope has a wide magnification factor that allows precision accuracy at the longest ranges yet is highly effective for shots at close ranges. It is used in various fields of law enforcement , field tactical and target shooting. These scopes are best for their quality and performance that is great. Along with clarity in images, daylight settings and magnification, this products are technologically advanced. I can say Nightforce scope is good optic from my knowledge & experience and the has long warranty.