Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IR 50/50 Sporters

Tony,

Here’s a final bit of Sporter trivia you may be unaware of.
    You may or may not have ever heard of Tony Larson,from the midwest, he made wonderful carbon/redwood BR stocks, but did you know he also made some rather innovative sporters. He used single shot actions to avoid having that big hole underneath with less bedding area as well, and he milled the loading port to accept a vertical magazine that could feed from the top......pretty slick.

The most innovative thing I've seen to date

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Tony,

Here’s a final bit of Sporter trivia you may be unaware of.
    You may or may not have ever heard of Tony Larson,from the midwest, he made wonderful carbon/redwood BR stocks, but did you know he also made some rather innovative sporters. He used single shot actions to avoid having that big hole underneath with less bedding area as well, and he milled the loading port to accept a vertical magazine that could feed from the top......pretty slick.
    It's kind of a shame there hasn't been more of it. I guess that's the real reason PS magazine ultimately failed; lack of innovation to report on.Like, how many combinations of PPC's can there be and still be interesting?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Tony,

HereÂ’s a final bit of Sporter trivia you may be unaware of.
    Yes, I am aware of Tony Larson stocks. I owned one for a time. I was not aware Tony made sporter mods. That said, I may have seen one he made. The one I saw was pretty slick, and it did permit for a solid bottom action.

But to be perfectly honest it was not a very elegant solution. It changed the lines and the handling of the rifle. Handling on the bench is one thing, but in the woods would be another. Kinda, took the sporting rifle out of what was suppose to be a sporter. If you get what I mean?

The sporter Calfee built for DJ Hepler was an elegant solution and it kept completely to the sporter lines. It would work equally well in the woods as on the bench. Of course I'm just old fashioned, to wit: I still think sporter should have safeties.

If they can't be used as sporting rifles then we need to change the name to "Ultra Lite Customs".

I do miss the constant innovations we saw years ago. It was a real treat to go to the ARA Nationals and walk down the line and see 5 or 6 new ideas, one off actions, stocks, and barrel devices not to mention the different style rests. Now it seems cookie cutter guns and rest have taken over.

The latest new ideas I've seen are from Ivan Wells. His innovations have been very successful although they aren't talked about much.

TKH