Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of each QCP tool holders ?

Quote Originally Posted by coyotechet View Post
    How many do you need? I just like to pick up a tool as needed and start cutting.
    Chet

Attachment 21524
    Love that mini Ma Deuce!

GsT

I like the setup with a shelf for tool holders right there... Nice !

I really need to organize my space.

Quote Originally Posted by coyotechet View Post
    How many do you need? I just like to pick up a tool as needed and start cutting.
    Chet

Attachment 21524
    A setup similar to this would work very nicely in my lathe space, very well designed and practical. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    15 maybe

Just chambering a rifle I use 8
    What are you using 8 holders for on a manual lathe? I only used three, turning, threadding and boring. Drilling and reaming were done in the tailstock. I do use nine positions on my CNC turret, but that includes a drilling station, reaming station, three boring bars and grooving tool for the higbee thread. I could reduce the boring bars down to one, and rough/finish with the VBMT if I really wanted to.
    Last edited by Rubicon Prec.; 09-19-2018 at 10:22 AM.

it is actually pretty simple.
    not everyone does a job the same way.
    i like lots of tools used for a specific job, not a close enough generic.
    so 3 will never work for me.
    you do it your way, the rest of us will do it our way.....more tool holders.
    no i am not taking lessons from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon Prec. View Post
    What are you using 8 holders for on a manual lathe? I only used three, turning, threadding and boring. Drilling and reaming were done in the tailstock. I do use nine positions on my CNC turret, but that includes a drilling station, reaming station, three boring bars and grooving tool for the higbee thread. I could reduce the boring bars down to one, and rough/finish with the VBMT if I really wanted to.

I have 9 and could use more. I haven't figured out how one turning tool or boring bar will do all my work. What about my Knurler, parting tool, and others?

and if you have a small hole boring tool..it is too small for a med or bigger hole...too flexible.
    basic tools are right and left cut, that doubles most numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    I have 9 and could use more. I haven't figured out how one turning tool or boring bar will do all my work. What about my Knurler, parting tool, and others?

Yes sir, but we may have LEFT handers on here only.

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    it is actually pretty simple.
    not everyone does a job the same way.
    i like lots of tools used for a specific job, not a close enough generic.
    so 3 will never work for me.
    you do it your way, the rest of us will do it our way.....more tool holders.
    no i am not taking lessons from you.
    I wasn't putting anyone down, I was asking a question.

Naw...you clearly made a statement on how you did things.

a question would not need a statement on how you did things.

I wasn't putting anyone down, I was asking a question.

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    Naw...you clearly made a statement on how you did things.

a question would not need a statement on how you did things.
    Well, how's this for a question: how do you use eight tool holders to fit a barrel?

Sooo, I probably have more like 15 just for chambering because I do Panda's differently than Rem700 or flat-backed Atlas/Savage types....but I'll try do a Rem700 in my head. (I may get some steps out of order...)

First of all, I consider some things vitally important, that NO ONE ELSE cares about For instance timing or indexing to certain clock positions within just a few degrees, and using aftermarket recoil lugs that are as close to interference fit as is humanly possible. (I've thought about heat-setting them, but never have..... now THAT would be a pita BUT....again. I'm not typical NOR sane in my methods)

First bit, carbide to hog off the tenon and whack to within a few thou of depth/length. Rough-in

Second bit, sharp HSS....I sneak up on tenon diameter veeerry slowly, I want that recoil lug to be pressed on.

At this point I'll probably th'ow another parallel cutter on to turn the threaded portion a little smaller than the recoil lug seat. But I won't count that one.

Third is a threading bit and I use a chickenout groove so,

Fourth is a little cleanup bit for making the groove look perty...

Fifth a 50-ish degree bit marked "NOT FOR THREADING!" It looks like a 1/2X1/2 threading bit, this is my indexing bit for cutting a perfect, square-cornered seat. With this bit I sneak up to my index point.

Sixth I trim the tenon to length after indexing and for this use a HSS bit kinda' like my crowning grind...... but I may well throw a carbide on if I need to hogg some length off. Basically if timing makes more than .005-.010 I'll hog it then trim to final with HSS

Seventh is a 85* boring bar I use to cut in the boltface recess.

Eighth is my chamber boring bar

And then I may well use 3 or 4 more chamfering/edge softening grinds to knock off all the corners......

And I prolly missed a step or two.

Need to ad the facing cutter and a crown cutter for the muzzle end too. Plus all the other cutters for other jobs. I probably have 20 different holder setups, including one for an indicator.