Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 300 yard targets

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    760

    300 yard targets

    Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. The following are targets shot from my Alpine action .243 AI 1 in 8" Bartlein @ 300 yards. The first target is a 95 grn. SIE MK which seems to be doing well. The second target is a 107 grn. SIE MK that needs more work and am not sure where to go next. The load data and conditions are on the targets. Brass was full length sized yielding head space of approx. .0015 and neck sized in separate operation. ND of chamber is .270.

    Thanx in advance. Just looking for advice from seasoned shooters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chino69; 09-05-2018 at 07:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    176
    i would cut the bbl off an inch or so.(breech end)
    rechamber in 6mm bra( ackley improved 6 br)
    change powder,
    have the same velocity, better accuracy
    and longer bbl life.

    most common comment on these forums:
    did you have wind flags out ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    i would cut the bbl off an inch or so.(breech end)
    rechamber in 6mm bra( ackley improved 6 br)
    change powder,
    have the same velocity, better accuracy
    and longer bbl life.

    most common comment on these forums:
    did you have wind flags out ?
    Ha, ha. I have several barrels chambered in 6mm BR and they are indeed accurate. I had surveyor's tape strung out and tried to shoot when conditions were the same. The wind was about 5 mph and variable. I'll admit that my ability to read the wind skills are lacking but am trying to learn.
    Last edited by chino69; 09-06-2018 at 09:17 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    176
    the 6 BRA is a viable 1000 yd cartridge.
    less powder, longer bbl life, excellent accuracy.
    the 243 AI is just not as efficient, and does not
    have the accuracy record of the 6 BRA.
    SO what are you trying to do ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    the 6 BRA is a viable 1000 yd cartridge.
    less powder, longer bbl life, excellent accuracy.
    the 243 AI is just not as efficient, and does not
    have the accuracy record of the 6 BRA.
    SO what are you trying to do ?
    I am not competing, just trying to shoot as accurately as possible with what I have already. The 6 BRA does look impressive; I was just reading about it. Just use 6mm BR brass to fire form in the 6 BRA chamber?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    176
    yep

    same bullets
    probably a different powder
    need some bbl length.

    Quote Originally Posted by chino69 View Post
    I am not competing, just trying to shoot as accurately as possible with what I have already. The 6 BRA does look impressive; I was just reading about it. Just use 6mm BR brass to fire form in the 6 BRA chamber?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    yep

    same bullets
    probably a different powder
    need some bbl length.
    Maybe a future project but for right now I'm going to stick with what I have. Thanks for the input.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    176
    PUT OUT SOME FLAGS.
    some CLOSE TO YOU
    sit and watch them for a while

    Quote Originally Posted by chino69 View Post
    Maybe a future project but for right now I'm going to stick with what I have. Thanks for the input.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fresno
    Posts
    5,505
    I have a friend who has a .243 AI 8 twist Krieger, and based on his, your velocities seem to be quite low. How did you do your workup? Also, I second the wind flags. With wind, testing at 200, without them you are basically pissing into it. He and some friends shoot plates out to 1,200, 1'dia at that distance, and he does well despite being 90 and needing some help getting his portable table set up.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    760

    .243 AI load work up

    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    I have a friend who has a .243 AI 8 twist Krieger, and based on his, your velocities seem to be quite low. How did you do your workup? Also, I second the wind flags. With wind, testing at 200, without them you are basically pissing into it. He and some friends shoot plates out to 1,200, 1'dia at that distance, and he does well despite being 90 and needing some help getting his portable table set up.
    Boyd, thanks for the reply/input. To answer your question about load work up I typically do a ladder test @300 yds. with bullets seated into lands. The shooting usually consists of 6 groups of three shots with incrementally increasing charges; i.e. 40.0 grn., 40.4 grn., 40.8 grn., etc. I perform a Round Robin sequence. For the AI, I typically begin at the max. load for the parent cartridge and work my way up which is at the end, on average, approx. 2.0 grn. above parent cartridge max. load. I will then look to see which loads are hitting close vertically, pick a group in between and begin working on either side of that. That usually gets me where I want to be. From there, if necessary, I'll vary seating depth by going .010 into and .010 out of bullet /land touch.

    I did have survey tape out as I'm not savvy enough to properly read proper wind flags yet. There is a corridor, protected by a berm on both sides, going from 200 to 300 yards. The wind in that corridor was going from right to left @approx. 5mph. The wind from the bench to 200 yards was all over the place. I tried to shoot when that wind, bench to 200 yards, had settled down.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •