Thread: Win 52E Sporter ? ? ? - Help to identify

Win 52E Sporter ? ? ? - Help to identify

Not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I recently acquired a Winchester 52E that looks like a Sporter. I didn't think the Factory made a 52E Sporter.

Anyone have an opinion on what I have?

The only componant that is Winchester is the action. Can’t tell definatively with your images not clear but possibly one of the repro’s maybe .

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    The only componant that is Winchester is the action. Can’t tell definatively with your images not clear but possibly one of the repro’s maybe .
    Hello Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

The Action, Barrel, Triggerguard, Trigger Gouup, etc., are "all" Winchester 52E. The stock has a Packmayer "Whiteline" buttplate and the stock is not marked.

try the 22 forum or "rimfirecentral" winchester 52 forum

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    try the 22 forum or "rimfirecentral" winchester 52 forum
    Hello retired,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've posted there also.

To the best of my knowledge

Winchester did not catalog a 52E sporter.

No Clip

It looks like a Silhouette rifle except it should have a clip for that game. Wouldn't a "Sporter" be unusual in a single shot?

Pete

Only Win 52 sporters I have ever heard about (oem) stopped with 52c. That is not to say something could have been special order by a distributor. Not even thinking about the Browning ( japan ) repro's. 52c sporter is dear enough with out getting into the D and E range.
    To me looks like a custom job of some type particularly with that huge drop in the butt area which as stated above looks like "Sillywet" use ( not bashing anything here because my 52c heavy looks very similar- modified for said game. with a Canjar lp trigger.)
    Last edited by blades; 09-04-2018 at 12:32 PM.

It is my understanding that the 52 E was made from 1975-1980 with 652 being made. They all were single shot with a heavy 28 inch barrel ( .882" at muzzle). They were available in three different style target stocks. The pictured "sporter" is not a factory offering. It may be a great shooter, but much of its resale value is lost with the addition of that stock. Good shooting....James

James

Quote Originally Posted by JDMock View Post
    It is my understanding that the 52 E was made from 1975-1980 with 652 being made. They all were single shot with a heavy 28 inch barrel ( .882" at muzzle). They were available in three different style target stocks. The pictured "sporter" is not a factory offering. It may be a great shooter, but much of its resale value is lost with the addition of that stock. Good shooting....James
    here is a link to a lengthy series of messages on rimfirecentral.com that discusses D and E serial numbers...

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=325571

In it, the earliest E the sponsor of the thread has on record is E122593 and the latest E125416. He believes E's ended somewhere around 125500.

The E was never really a model number in the 52 line, like the A, B, C and Ds were. The E prefix was forced by a new law stating firearms manufacturers had to assign a prefix letter to each individual model in their lineup. Changes were made such as a functional loading ramp and recessed crown as the E prefix guns were produced. Some early E lettered rifles had true D actions....not D&Ted….later ones were D&Ted. Its an interesting read if you have the time. --Greg
    Last edited by glp; 09-05-2018 at 02:08 PM.