Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Barrel Fan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SE Nebraska
    Posts
    406

    Barrel Fan

    At the NBRSA Score Nationals I was walking back to my loading area and noticed that a gentleman had a fan type device in his chamber. Recently, I did a quick internet search and came up with 2 different ones = Barrelcool ($37) and Chamber Chiller ($30-$50). Any recommendations or other options? I have no experience with any of these devices. Thanks in advance for any replies.

    Stanley

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    5,656

    Years ago,

    There were folks who cycled liquid coolant through their barrels between relays. Haven't seen that in some time but haven't been around CF much of late.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    703
    I don't know about the liquid, but the barrel needs to be pointed UP and in the shade for best cooling results with or without the fans.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Tawas, Michigan
    Posts
    253
    I purchased two air mattress/inflatable toy air pumps on Amazon. One is rechargeable battery operated the other runs on 110volts. I spent kess than $40 for the pair. Add a foot and a half of rubber tubing from the hardware and i have a barrel cooler for any contingency. They cool the barrel in about 15-20 minutes. Plenty of time between relays.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    2,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    At the NBRSA Score Nationals I was walking back to my loading area and noticed that a gentleman had a fan type device in his chamber. Recently, I did a quick internet search and came up with 2 different ones = Barrelcool ($37) and Chamber Chiller ($30-$50). Any recommendations or other options? I have no experience with any of these devices. Thanks in advance for any replies.

    Stanley
    I got the barrel cool 2 yrs ago. Nice. Included a battery.
    Tube is trim to fit. When I measured and cut. One was perfect for AR and the other half for a bolt gun.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,397

    Cool Gadgets Galore

    If you are a gadget freak, benchrest is a haven for such. Watch the experienced experts and see what kind of gadgets they use in their loading, cleaning and bench equipment. You will usually find their equipment is quite simple with no frills.

    The best barrel cooler I know of is a wet terry cloth bath towel draped over the barrel while cleaning. Simple, inexpensive and trouble free, works great!

    Good shootin'!

    Gene Beggs

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Beggs View Post
    If you are a gadget freak, benchrest is a haven for such. Watch the experienced experts and see what kind of gadgets they use in their loading, cleaning and bench equipment. You will usually find their equipment is quite simple with no frills.

    The best barrel cooler I know of is a wet terry cloth bath towel draped over the barrel while cleaning. Simple, inexpensive and trouble free, works great!

    Good shootin'!

    Gene Beggs


    Yep..I will add, CO2,water,alcohol,compressed air, to name some others. The application is limited only to the imagination of the competitor.



    Glenn

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    Yep..I will add, CO2,water,alcohol,compressed air, to name some others. The application is limited only to the imagination of the competitor.



    Glenn
    Have used CO2 right out of the cylinder with the valve barely cracked.
    Tube and a chamber protector in place of the bolt.

    Worth the effort when varmints are running hot.

    It beats toasting out a good barrel.

    Only takes a very few minutes with nice cold (and heavy gas) like CO2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •