Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjusting 6 PPC Loads During the Day

[QUOTE=jackie schmidt;811597]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post

Glenn, the brass will no longer take 30.3 to 30.5 grns of 133 without primer pockets and case heads swelling to and extent that they are severely compromised.

I lived for a long time using as my base load 30.2 grns with a 68 grn bullet and a relative humidity in the 70 percent or higher range. If a front or something cased the humidity to fall down below 40 percent, a increase of .2 to .3 grns would keep the rifle shooting.

Those days are gone.

So I'm trying something different.

Understood.

Preloading

I remember hearing about a competitor that won the Super Shoot, shooting preloaded 6PPC ammo. It would be interesting to hear his opinions concerning preloads. I don't remember his name.

Never say never in this Sport. Thats what makes it so much fun.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    I remember hearing about a competitor that won the Super Shoot, shooting preloaded 6PPC ammo. It would be interesting to hear his opinions concerning preloads. I don't remember his name.

Never say never in this Sport. Thats what makes it so much fun.

Glenn
    Glenn, his name was Hall from Georgia and unfortunately he has passed away since winning the SS in 2002 (I believe). James

Quote Originally Posted by JDMock View Post
    Glenn, his name was Hall from Georgia and unfortunately he has passed away since winning the SS in 2002 (I believe). James

Thanks James. I sometimes suffer from that debilitating disease called CRS.

Glenn

Regarding Mr Hall

I remember someone posting the only reason he was able to win the SS was the weather never changed the entire weekend. Don't know if that was a fact or someone trying to preserve tradition. Difficult to imagine weather not changing at all for that long.

I have owned several 6 PPC's and never shot one in a match, afraid my pre-loads would not be good enough to win. I also never wanted to be involved with loading at the range so I opted to shoot 30's and never looked back. I have only shot in one Registered Group match and managed a third place in it. No desire to continue with shooting group. No desire to fool with evil rifles that won't stay in tune either.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 07-28-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Ed Hall from Dublin, Georgia did indeed win the Super Shoot in 2002 with pre-loads for the entire tournament. And to make matters even worse he used moly coated bullets. The weather, as I recall, was typical May in Ohier weather.

Weather/Atmospheric conditions

There is no such thing as weather being the same all weekend long. Its always cool in the AM with temperature increases or decreases, as the day progresses. This swing causes some powders, used in the 6PPC, especially V- 133, to go in and out of tune during the match. At least, thatís been my personal experience.

I cannot emphasize enough, the significance of the Sports History/evolution.

15 years ago, When I heard that a Competitor had won the SS using preloaded ammo, I immediately started asking a bunch of questions. Was he using a tuner. Remember this was in 2002. What powder did he preload? Unfortunately, the only explanation for this incredible achievement was that it was just a stroke of Luck.

My idea of luck, when it involves shooting, is when a Sniper makes a one shot kill on a target at a distance of 1000yds.

I never try to discourage a new shooter from experimenting when it comes to the search for extreme accuracy in the BR game.

Glenn

Ed Hall shot a Panda action LV rifle all four days without a tuner. He cleaned his bore only at the end of the day and used my cleaning equipment and to do that as he hasn't brought any cleaning equipment with him. He was shooting Vihta Vouri N 133 powder. He came the year before with Rusty Carr to check out what short range BR was all about but did not shoot that first year. They went back to Dublin and started BR matches at Dublin Twin Oaks Range with 22 benches. After the success of the Shamrock the first couple years, they expanded the range to 30 benches. That first year there were all sorts of problems with the backer system and we fired the last matches with the headlights of cars shining down range.