Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Easiest way to true bolt face?

Has anyone compared just lapping the M700 bolt in vs. machining the bolt, all else being equal?

Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    Has anyone compared just lapping the M700 bolt in vs. machining the bolt, all else being equal?
    It is going to depend on what other part you are trying to true the bolt face TO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kobe View Post
    Really? Those bolts aren't even round, and you still can't guarantee the back end is running true. Enough for me
    Grabbing the center of the bolt body with a collet has got to be a pretty good average. Considering thereís probably .007Ē+ clearance between the body OD and receiver ID, any of the mentioned methods are probably going to be equal once ignition takes place.

If the collet method is no good because the rear of the bolt body canít be qualified, that would mean any method based off the front/rear of the bolt body would also be no good because the center would be out.

"Grabbing the center of the bolt body with a collet has got to be a pretty good average"

Maybe average in the middle of the bolt but then both ends aren't necessarily going to run true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kobe View Post
    "Grabbing the center of the bolt body with a collet has got to be a pretty good average"

Maybe average in the middle of the bolt but then both ends aren't necessarily going to run true.
    Every method mentioned is an average, if we agree the bolt body isnít round and/or straight. We do the best we can with a less than perfect part. Considering the large diameter clearance between a factory 700 bolt body and receiver bore, as long as the bolt face is parallel to the rear of the lugs, and there is room for both lugs to make near full purchase on the abutments, I highly doubt any of the mentioned methods would show better than others on paper or at the loading bench.

Now if youíre doing something to tighten up the bolt body/receiver bore clearance, methods are going to be more critical. Hopefully every op on the bolt done in a single setup.

The method Mike Bryant showed is the best imo. I have used it to true bolts in very tight actions and achieve excellent lug contact. If you cant indicate just behind the lugs and in front of the bolt handle your making some assumptions.

The best results that Iíve seen accuracy wise is to ream the 700 action with a long piloted reamer opening up the raceway to whatever diameter (I use a.705Ē reamer) you want and then fit a tight after market bolt to the action. The problem with this though is by the time you go to this much trouble and expense, youíd be better off to use one of the many custom clone actions rather that truing a 700. There comes a point that while it can be made very accurate it crosses a cost effective threshold as to whether itís worth it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bryant View Post
    The best results that Iíve seen accuracy wise is to ream the 700 action with a long piloted reamer opening up the raceway to whatever diameter (I use a.705Ē reamer) you want and then fit a tight after market bolt to the action. The problem with this though is by the time you go to this much trouble and expense, youíd be better off to use one of the many custom clone actions rather that truing a 700. There comes a point that while it can be made very accurate it crosses a cost effective threshold as to whether itís worth it or not.
    You are getting up to the cost of some of the dedicated 'BR' grade actions at that point.

My varmint rifle uses a Left port, Right bolt Panda action.

With a .22-250 AI and 6mm Rem AI barrels.
    IIRC 26 inches on the .22-250 and 28 on the 6mm.
    Jewel 'BT' trigger.
    Ounces.
    Off a portable bench with a front rest and rear bag.

It is sure death on groundhogs even at longer range.