Thread: Help with bolt handle jig

Help with bolt handle jig

Ideas on how to make a basic jig. I want to thread bolt handles for tactical bolt handles. Thanks.

If you google "bolt handle threading jig", you will gets lots of hits with pics.

RWO

Already did. Need more info

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    Already did. Need more info
    This is what I came up with years ago. Pacific later started making a similar jig. I presently use the Pacific jig as it is easier and quicker to use than the one that I made. The Pacific jig is bored to fit the bolt diameter and sets the bolt body at the correct angle.

Set up for threading for tactical knobs

Mike, saw your setup while searching. I like it.

The correct way is to remove the handle, fix the PE, bolt slop and true it all while you're in there.

Fixing the Primary Extraction

and threading the bolt for a knob are very different processes. For fixing the PE a tig welded bolt is a great way to go, and who better than Dan's 40X. There are several jigs out there to thread for a bolt knob.
    Just saying silver solder will get the job done if done right, but the tig done right is foolproof.

Richard

Removing and soldering the bolt is beyond my tool setup. I just want the bolt handle

My fixture is just a 2 inch piece of aluminum round stock milled half-round for about 3 inches and a V slot cut into it at a 22.5. From there, I tapped a few holes for a hold down and a small adjustment scree to get the handle aligned correctly. All other alignment is just done in the 4-jaw.

I do agree with al_bentley though; soldering is the best way to go. You can do it with a turbo-torch and MAPP gas if you don't have oxy-acetylene.

Ain't gonna solder any of mine. Dans40X is too cheap and fast doing the micro tig and timing properly.

Great pics Gene. Thx.