Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Difficult Bolt Lift?

Quote Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
    Check the scope mount BASE screws on the front and rear.
    they could be too long and be putting drag on the bolt.
    it's and easy fix.
    It was the front guard screw that was the culprit. If the screws and bases are machined properly, the head of the longer screws [intended for rear base or rear 2 holes of a one piece base] won't fit into the holes in the front base [or one hole in a one piece base] so that very problem is avoided. At least that's what I saw when I tried to use the long screws to fasten a Leupold [QRW type 2 piece front base] on a 700. I had to use the shorter screws for the front base. May not be universal however.

Difficult bolt lift

Yes that would do it'
    glad your squared away'

Quote Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
    Yes that would do it'
    glad your squared away'
    When I put some Leupold 2 piece Weaver type bases on another Rem 700, I tried to use the Leupold long screws for the front base to see if they'd interfere and the heads wouldn't fit into the holes in the base.

Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    When I put some Leupold 2 piece Weaver type bases on another Rem 700, I tried to use the Leupold long screws for the front base to see if they'd interfere and the heads wouldn't fit into the holes in the base.
    Sounds like a way to try and make it at least a little more idiot proof.

The problem is that nature is always working on a new idiot with more capability to screw up.

Never argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.