Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: cost

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    193

    cost

    here is another ?given a budget of 3000$ what would you look at and buy in a used br rifle.i have 2 scopes,both leapould ,1 is 24 x the other a 36 from late 70s.i have lones dies and a wilson seater..a
    i am shooting for a 6 mm ppc.i have 60 casdes of the old 220 and 20 from sako.i also have a expander die for 6 mm.have about 300 bullets from berger and 200 from hart.i sot a lv just for fun in 6 mm ppc and got most of my gear then got rid of the rifle about 8 years ago. it was a sleeved xp100 with a hart barrel and a mcmillion stock.this is the money i have at present over the next 12 months to work with.
    gary

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    123
    Step one, sell both scopes, use the funds to help purchase a newer scope.....42/45x or so.

    Quote Originally Posted by g n brezinski View Post
    here is another ?given a budget of 3000$ what would you look at and buy in a used br rifle.i have 2 scopes,both leapould ,1 is 24 x the other a 36 from late 70s.i have lones dies and a wilson seater..a
    i am shooting for a 6 mm ppc.i have 60 casdes of the old 220 and 20 from sako.i also have a expander die for 6 mm.have about 300 bullets from berger and 200 from hart.i sot a lv just for fun in 6 mm ppc and got most of my gear then got rid of the rifle about 8 years ago. it was a sleeved xp100 with a hart barrel and a mcmillion stock.this is the money i have at present over the next 12 months to work with.
    gary
    Last edited by retired; 07-03-2018 at 01:09 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Canal Town",USA
    Posts
    575
    Gary,
    I would call Bob White at Shooter's Corner (contact info on the internet).Look for a used Panda in the $2000 range, jug of powder, 1000 good BR bullets(Barts). You can use the Leup 36x or trade it and the 24x for a Leup 40 or 45x with Bob. You might end up with enough $ left over for a new barrel.
    Good Luck, Have Fun
    Joel

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    123
    JOEL,
    I was thinking, why start with an unknown used scope..??
    Why not start with a known and work on the load.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nader View Post
    Gary,
    I would call Bob White at Shooter's Corner (contact info on the internet).Look for a used Panda in the $2000 range, jug of powder, 1000 good BR bullets(Barts). You can use the Leup 36x or trade it and the 24x for a Leup 40 or 45x with Bob. You might end up with enough $ left over for a new barrel.
    Good Luck, Have Fun
    Joel

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    near sacramento
    Posts
    137
    Sell the scopes and get something newer. If your set on using your scope sell the 24 and send the 36 to Leupold and have it ck. Next call bob white and talk to him about what your looking for. See if he has what you want, if you have enough left over spend that on a new barrel or barrels. If you want new there is plenty of good gunsmiths that can build you a new gun but that can take as much as 6 months to a year or more, and only the gunsmith thatís going to build your gun can tell you how much that will cost you.
    Last edited by gabe ledesma; 07-03-2018 at 01:19 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Manhattan & Sag Harbor, N.Y.
    Posts
    390
    Another + for Bob White. I go to his shop about once a month and he always has interesting things there and as pointed out, will be happy to talk to you on the phone and make recommendations. If you E-mail him, it will usually be Edna, his wife (and shooter) that will answer you.

    shooterscnr at sign optonline dot net

    Bob

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    193
    thanks for your help.i am just wanting a good rifle at the end to play with around with around where i live.
    gary b

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Manhattan & Sag Harbor, N.Y.
    Posts
    390
    Gary,

    Getting a good rifle is not that difficult. Getting one around where you live may or may not be, but for sure no one can help if you don't post, "Where Around Were You Live" happens to be.

    Bob

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poetry, Tex.
    Posts
    6,035
    Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Gary,

    Getting a good rifle is not that difficult. Getting one around where you live may or may not be, but for sure no one can help if you don't post, "Where Around Were You Live" happens to be.

    Bob

    Listen to Bob.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    193

    ppc

    i live in southwest pa about 50 miles north of pittsburg.
    gary b

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,505

    cost

    3 K is enough to buy a decent rifle. Theres one for sale at accurate shooter for $2250 or so. Modern and up to date . The leupolds are still under warranty.
    with the extra you can buy a new barrel and be set. Also theres shooters corner like others have said Bob is a good guy to buy from.
    Check this one out it's pretty nice.
    Gerry

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    899
    Gary, it's very doable to get a good benchrest rifle well within your budget. Wilbur has offered some good advice in the past. He has suggested that one buy a winning rifle and that would seem to be difficult. But it's not. I've both bought and sold winning rifles (BAT 6 PPC) in the $2000 range in the past two years. Three of them as a matter of fact. You live in an area where that is very doable. I suggest you visit some matches within a few hours drive and get to know the shooters. You will learn much more by doing that than from the answers you get here. I'm pretty sure we are all willing to help, but visiting a match and asking questions from the shooters will be much more productive. We are past the mid point of the season and rifles will be coming available shortly. It's amazing what can be picked up for a handful of dead politicians.

    Rick

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Manhattan & Sag Harbor, N.Y.
    Posts
    390
    Being in PA, you have the added advantage of a vast number of rifle builders, all who may have used traded in inventory and a great number of shooters and ranges. Many of the shoots I have go to (to learn more, not to compete yet) will have guns on display for sale.

    (Assume from your inventory of Stuff, that you are talking short range benchrest?)

    Bob

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    N.ILL
    Posts
    13

    Try Reade's range

    Quote Originally Posted by g n brezinski View Post
    i live in southwest pa about 50 miles north of pittsburg.
    gaIfry b
    You could probably find out more by spending a day at
    reades range, Fallentimber, PA.
    See more. Learn more. And maybe meet your future rifle. Check the schedule so you are there during a match.
    If that one doesn't suit you then find another range that has matches and go. The advantage being there are a bunch of people doing what you want to do so you can see how it goes. Hang out after the shooting is through Look stuff over ask a few questions. Tell 'em you are thinking about starting this. You'll get more info than you can absorb and prolly get to shoot a rifle or 2. That was my experience 30 years ago
    JohnMill

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    193

    cost

    thank you for that info.i never gave that a thought.i can make several of the ranges.hope to get to one in the next month or 2.
    gary b

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •