Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bud Pryor match

Custom Actions

Vince Pastorella, Kenny Livengood and I, along with several other longtime Hunter class shooters, discussed this at the "Bud" one year when the "agenda item" to stop requiring safeties and allowing custom actions to be used was being kicked around. We all felt that it was not a good move but, as usual, many members of the IBS, who never shot Hunter class, had an equal say in the voting and the agenda item became a rule. Like I said, "If it isn't broke, fix it until it is".

I am no longer a member of IBS but it seems to me that there was a rule that in order to vote in matters involving a certain discipline such as Hunter Class you had to have shot a match in that discipline in the preceding year. Yes? When a member, I did shoot Hunter and Varmint Hunter. At that time, custom actions were allowed. I guess I joined late.

Hunter Class

As far as I know custom actions were always allowed in Hunter and Varmint Hunter class. They just had to be produced in sufficient numbers, by the action maker, to be considered "production" actions. I sure as hell can't recall what the number was. I seem to remember that the Kodiak was one of the only customs to meet that requirement. Our East coast "hotshots" of the day shot mostly Remington 700/722 actions with several even using 788 actions. Frank McKee and Dwight Furrow would "wear your ass out" with those 788 rifles. Good times and some damned good shooting in those days. Gone forever!