Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: neck turning

Competition and Practice

Many years ago,I talked to a, now retired ,Hall of Fame Shooter who shared an interesting story with me about his Benchrest experience.

He stated that he shot in registered competition for seven years before he won a single yardage. I've talked to some competitors who have been shooting a long time(Competition) who have never won a single yardage. They keep coming back, looking for that first win, just for the love of the Sport.

It is my belief that shooting in competition teaches you how to win. Practice teaches you about yourself, your equipment, And for lack of a better term, the personality(Nuances) of the shooting range.

There is no substitute for trigger time, both on and off the clock.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Martin View Post
    There's no substitute for competition. I practiced for two years before entering matches. I've learned more on the line shooting against others than practice sessions and internet theory combined. Of course, I still practice too.

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com
    I tend to agree with Lee.

I don't trust anything untill it has proven its Self in a Match.

I tried a new combination this past week end in Heavy Varmint at Seymour. I have shot it in several Score Matches, but never in a Group Match against some top notch shooters.

I'm quite pleased. So pleased that this will now be my "go to" 6PPC combination.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 06-13-2018 at 07:34 PM.

There is a difference

between "practicing" and "testing"
    I have practice guns just to keep sharp on flag reading, ect
    Then there is testing, if it won't agg on the home range I'm sure not going to take it to a match!!
    If I have a good combo going, it doesn't get shot until I get to a match. Usually if it tests good at home it will be good at a match.
    I practice with the clock going, testing is a different story.

Richard

Also a practice gun needs to shoot as well as a match gun. (Or very close) Otherwise you don't learn very much

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    ................ And like Al said, it doesn't hurt to be lucky.

Rick
    To be perfectly clear "being lucky" in a match is not at all what I'm referring to. What I'm saying is, build 10 guns and TWO WILL BEAT THE OTHERS.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    To be perfectly clear "being lucky" in a match is not at all what I'm referring to. What I'm saying is, build 10 guns and TWO WILL BEAT THE OTHERS.
    While I do place great value on your opinions, I respectfully disagree with this one if I understand it correctly. Possibly of the 10 guns, the same shooter may shoot better with 2. But the guy with superior skills and plenty of trigger time will use a less perfect rifle and beat the guy with the better equipment and less skill/experience. There is no way those twenty top shooters are going through that many barrels and actions. The best equipment alone won't make you a winner in this game.
    It just gives you a good place to start.

Rick

The best shooter won't win with a gun that will only shoot a .300 agg.

Amen to that!!

Quote Originally Posted by liljoe View Post
    If your going to play at the top it takes good equipment. Anymore the aggs are so small you can't leave anything on the table. Equipment wise or shooting wise.
    If I don't have a rifle that will shoot up to what I think it should be doing, it's staying home.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by liljoe View Post
    Sorta goes without saying, but the best equipment won't make a winner out of someone who can't read wind and has poor technique. You can't spend your way to first place in this game without doing the trigger time as well.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Sorta goes without saying, but the best equipment won't make a winner out of someone who can't read wind and has poor technique. You can't spend your way to first place in this game without doing the trigger time as well.

Rick
    Again, a complete newbie with a really good gun has set many a match on fire...... even some records. And it ain't about buying first place, it's about LUCK......until somebody figgers out how to make all guns shoot just as good.

Call it "the gun"

Call it "the barrel"

It might be "the bullets"

But whatever it is, some guns SHOOT.... some don't. And that's ALL'S I'm referring to in my comment. And I'll add now that if you've got one that SHOOTS you'd better treasure it and hugg it and kiss it and pinch it's liddle cheeks and call it's name 'Bob'

It was a'splained to me once, "hey, most days it don't matter BUT..... when that day comes, it's nice to be ready for a trigger pullin' contest!"

And at the same time, I'm agreeing with Richard here..... Most any decent match today has a lot of guns that are shooters. And shooters to run them.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Again, a complete newbie with a really good gun has set many a match on fire...... even some records. And it ain't about buying first place, it's about LUCK......until somebody figgers out how to make all guns shoot just as good.

Call it "the gun"

Call it "the barrel"

It might be "the bullets"

But whatever it is, some guns SHOOT.... some don't. And that's ALL'S I'm referring to in my comment. And I'll add now that if you've got one that SHOOTS you'd better treasure it and hugg it and kiss it and pinch it's liddle cheeks and call it's name 'Bob'

It was a'splained to me once, "hey, most days it don't matter BUT..... when that day comes, it's nice to be ready for a trigger pullin' contest!"
    Have to say I agree with Al, as I was one of these fortunate 'lucky' people.

I won a Yardage and a Grand/Agg at my first Group Nationals. Had shot only four matches prior. I later discovered I was also 'lucky' as this barrel (only my second barrel purchased) was a "hummer"

So definitely lucky to begin with!

Michael

I think that the best practice that there is, is shooting in matches. There is a difference between shooting in a match and shooting at home. There is a different intensity level involved when shooting in matches that you just can't have at home. I think one of the biggest keys is watching those flags for every shot. It's pretty easy to get to running a group so quickly that you forget to watch the flags. When you do that it's like shooting blind. At least, if you see a flag change and you go ahead and pull the trigger, you know why the bullet went out of the group. If you aren't watching the flags, then you don't have a clue. That said, it is a lot easier to shoot a rifle that is shooting and is in tune than one that isn't.

Competition

In Golf,the Competition is between the player and the Golf Course. Getting to know the Golf Course improves your chances at winning. The best players know how to play every hole on the course in a Big tournament.

The same principle applies to Benchrest competition. The competition is between the shooter and the atmospheric conditions encountered during the registered match. The idea is to bring your BEST game and EQUIPMENT to the match. Its often too late to figure it out ,once the commence fire command is given.

Long time benchrest shooter,Cecil Tucker related a story, about practice, that supports my opinion on this topic. Cecil stated that he practiced at the MIdland,Tx range ,everyday, for a two week period, prior to a NBRSA Nationals Championship match.

Cecil came close to winning that Nationals which he attributes to practice, getting to know the range..

Glenn