Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: Throat of 22/250 is fried

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,883
    Shoot some lighter bullets at reduced pressures. If it still keyholes, get a new barrel. Your problem is certainly unusual!

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    62

    New barrel

    Quote Originally Posted by Worker View Post
    I have a 26" 8" twist Brux bbl #4 contour. Rifle was suppose to be my predator rifle. But took it on Prairie Dog shoots a couple of years ,after I bet a 1,000 rounds of all hot loads the bullets were key holing at 25 yds. Gunsmith did a chamber cast and I guess bore scoped it. He said throat is fried but didn't notice any fire cracking past the chamber. He said he could cut off up to an inch and re-cut the chamber for $250. Cost of new bbl is $350 and to chamber and fit to action is another $350.Any experience with this scenario,what to do ?
    Time for a new barrel. Try a 22 BR chambering. 0 free bore,12 twist. Not quite a 22-250 but close. Burns less powder. Fine accuracy.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    9,524
    Quote Originally Posted by redrockranger View Post
    Time for a new barrel. Try a 22 BR chambering. 0 free bore,12 twist. Not quite a 22-250 but close. Burns less powder. Fine accuracy.
    How is it "not quite a 22-250 but close?"

    velocity?

    With light bullets (12t) I shoot my 22BR's faster than 1 22-250 can run.....

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wild Nevada
    Posts
    560

    Question Muller Works bbl

    Right now I can get a #5 contour 12" twist Muller works bbl. Previous bbl was a #4 contour.(Predator rifle,sporter stock) I'd really like a #6 contour,but might have to wait a few months .Is the difference worth the waite ? More varmints than predators around.I want to shoot 53gr V-max up to 64gr Berger bullets)

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    62

    22 br

    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    How is it "not quite a 22-250 but close?"

    velocity?

    With light bullets (12t) I shoot my 22BR's faster than 1 22-250 can run.....
    My 40X 22-250 would shoot 55gr soft points @ 3750 fps @ the muzzle. 22 BR does about 3500 fps with 53 V Max. 22-250 lasted 3000 and and was lucky to hit a 50 cent piece @ 100 yds. I believe the 22 BR is little more accurate, Never shot any thing smaller than 50 gr in a 22 centerfire.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    62

    colony varmints

    Quote Originally Posted by Worker View Post
    Right now I can get a #5 contour 12" twist Muller works bbl. Previous bbl was a #4 contour.(Predator rifle,sporter stock) I'd really like a #6 contour,but might have to wait a few months .Is the difference worth the waite ? More varmints than predators around.I want to shoot 53gr V-max up to 64gr Berger bullets)
    If you shoot from a bench on colony varmints heavy barrel is better and more forgiving in my humble opinion.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wild Nevada
    Posts
    560

    Rem Varmint

    I decided to get the Remington Varmint contour,because I mostly do shoot off a bench.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    9,524
    Quote Originally Posted by redrockranger View Post
    If you shoot from a bench on colony varmints heavy barrel is better and more forgiving in my humble opinion.
    IMO redrockrangerisright

    cuz heatsink/mass

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •