Thread: Throat of 22/250 is fried

Throat of 22/250 is fried

I have a 26" 8" twist Brux bbl #4 contour. Rifle was suppose to be my predator rifle. But took it on Prairie Dog shoots a couple of years ,after I bet a 1,000 rounds of all hot loads the bullets were key holing at 25 yds. Gunsmith did a chamber cast and I guess bore scoped it. He said throat is fried but didn't notice any fire cracking past the chamber. He said he could cut off up to an inch and re-cut the chamber for $250. Cost of new bbl is $350 and to chamber and fit to action is another $350.Any experience with this scenario,what to do ?

OK...... first things first. KEYHOLING??? Keyholing means that the bullets are going unstable, tumbling through the air like a thrown stick.

I've got barrel with the first 2-3 inches of the riflings GONE. And they don't keyhole. I think maybe your bullets are leaking...bleeding out...coming apart.... do you notice any black swirls on the 25yd targets?

If the throat has become rough it can cause bullets to fail BUT.......

Secondly....Your gunsmith says "throat is fried but no firecracking past the chamber"

This is obviously some sort of mis-communication but confusing nonetheless.

I will suggest that IF you've an inch or so of firecracking/roughness in the first inch of the lands and if he's willing to cut off and re-do for 250.00 then having it done is an option that may give you another 500rds.

But I further suggest that your bullets ARE NOT keyholing......... and that you do some more testing to see if they're coming apart.

Humor me please..... maybe post a pic of the 25yd target even???

What weight bullets? A 1-8" twist will really spin a light bullet apart. That was the problem with the .220 Swift when it came out.

Thumbs up 75gr +

I mostly shot the heavies . Lots of 77gr Sierra TMK and 75gr Amax .I was even able to consistently soda pop cans at 350 yds with 90gr Sierra MK . But have shot a lot of 55gr bullets and they were accurate enough to turn varmints inside out. But last time in varmint field I was missing badly on easy shots.( Worried my new Zeiss V6 was bad) Then shot on paper and several bullets key holed at 25 yds. Going to Montana in a couple of weeks,22/250 is staying home.

Did you change bullet makes or construction? I have a 22/250AI with a 1-8" barrel and use the 75gr Barnes X bullets. I tried some thin jacket 55gr varmit bullets and they came apart. At work we tried a 1-7" 22/250AI with 77gr SMK, they came apart at 4000fps. Then tried a 1-9" with the same load and they shot well. Try slowing the bullets down and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    Did you change bullet makes or construction? I have a 22/250AI with a 1-8" barrel and use the 75gr Barnes X bullets. I tried some thin jacket 55gr varmit bullets and they came apart. At work we tried a 1-7" 22/250AI with 77gr SMK, they came apart at 4000fps. Then tried a 1-9" with the same load and they shot well. Try slowing the bullets down and see what happens.
    The bullet that went sideways thru the target ,was a bullet that I shot 100s of times.

You say "the bullet" as if you've only one instance......

Bear with me here, it's basically physically impossible for your bullets to be truly keyholing. I'm not arguing with you, I'm asking, I am curious, VERY curious. Are there multiple sideways imprints? If you shoot 5 rds do they just splatter and leave random bullet shaped tears in the paper?