Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barrel holging jaws

I guess you answered the question.

I think we have some misunderstandings. The argument probably should be.....independent vs universal.

We have 12 engine lathes in our shop, ranging in size from a small Monarch EE tool room Lathe to a 44 foot long LeBlond NR.

Whether a 4 Jaw independent or a 3 or 6 jaw universal stays on a machine is predicateded on what operation the machine will be used for. All of our larger lathes, (30 inch swing and above), don't even have universal chucks. All of our medium and small lathes have both.

Keep in mind, we are a strictly manual machine shop. The type of work in the industry we serve simply does not lend its self to CAM or other types of numerically controlled machines.

EASE UP GUYS.. If you are chambering through the headstock and using an outboard spider, if, in the chuck end, you will simply chuck on, at each jaw, about 1/4 of a pre 1982 penny you will have plenty of holding power while the barrel is free to not be distorted by the shape of the chuck jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    EASE UP GUYS.. If you are chambering through the headstock and using an outboard spider, if, in the chuck end, you will simply chuck on, at each jaw, about 1/4 of a pre 1982 penny you will have plenty of holding power while the barrel is free to not be distorted by the shape of the chuck jaws.,
    I use a piece of 1/4" dia. copper wire wrapped around the barrel for chuck jaws to bite on. Many ways to get the results you want with the equipment that you have.