Thread: On shedding the Albatross:

On shedding the Albatross:

One of the more liberating days of my life, I finally shed my albatross = old fishing boat with all it's accessories.

Oi, the feeling of relief! Now, the half cord of fishing rods. And did I say anything about the half bushel of reels of all descriptions?

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 05-12-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Ah yes. The two happiest days of your life.
    The day you buy your boat and the day you sell that boat.

Less fishing and more shooting, Pete?

You are not alone Pete

Sold mine two years ago. Probably for the same reasons. The Mississippi is dangerous when you do not know it. I will keep 3 rods and try to get rid of the other 10. I have tackle that has not seen water yet. that goes too.

Any hummers among those rods, Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Ah yes. The two happiest days of your life.
    The day you buy your boat and the day you sell that boat.
    Hearing that motor come to life is a sweet, sweet sound -- it's magical. Selling it would be sad.

I have 10 fly rods rigged and ready. I haven't touched one in years other than to move them from one house to another.

Now I just feel sorry for the fish. I never feel sorry for the paper I shoot holes in.

I had a canoe and a john boat. Much harder to lug around than fly rods. I sold them and was happy.

Now we have kayaks. Easier to move, but maybe harder to use. How do you get in an out of one without getting wet?

I seldom get wet when shooting. Very few people drown when shooting also (duck hunting excepted maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Any hummers among those rods, Pete?
    I don't know if you wrote that in jest or not. I had a fishing rod that was actually a hummer....the end broke off while fishing for redfish somewhere in Florida. I fixed it but it wasn't even similar.....

Wasn't cheap either but I knew when I picked it up it was MY fishing rod.

While in jest, I know there are fly rods superior to others. Paul has built a number of custom rods for a number of people. He frequents fly shows and bumps into David Halblom there from time to time. Who ever said bench rest guys are omnifocused? If there's such a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    I don't know if you wrote that in jest or not. I had a fishing rod that was actually a hummer....the end broke off while fishing for redfish somewhere in Florida. I fixed it but it wasn't even similar.....

Wasn't cheap either but I knew when I picked it up it was MY fishing rod.
    Wilbur,my boat was in the basement & the darn cat broke my hummer rod which was laying in the boat.

My wife

has her paternal grandfather's Thomas brown tone special flyrod with two tips. We were trout fishing a small eastern maine pond years ago. She was quietly humming a tune when one of the tips broke. We had it fixed but she hasn't had the courage to use it since. Francis, does that qualify as a hummer?

Yes sir, it sure does.
    If you can fly fish and not think about the rod, you have one.

We bought a house

on a pond in Aurora in late 81. It came with a 14' tin boat, all beat to smithereens. With the judicious use of a ballpeen hammer and crack sealant, we still have and use it...along with its beat to smithereens 8 hp Johnson that I bought new. Very low dollar investment. Good for duck hunting and perch fishing. No plans to jettison it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    One of the more liberating days of my life, I finally shed my albatross = old fishing boat with all it's accessories.

Oi, the feeling of relief! Now, the half cord of fishing rods. And did I say anything about the half bushel of reels of all descriptions?

Pete

I'm on my third Albatross...wouldn't be without one. Doing 70mph on a cold morning is a feeling like no other. Makes you feel alive.

And there is nothing like catching largemouth bass on a top water plug.

But I feel you, Pete. Boats can be a pain in the arse.

And boy...do I understand the "half cord of fishing rods". I may have a full cord!

Justin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180331_184025.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	20947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20150419_181248.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	931.0 KB 
ID:	20948  

I love to fish

BUT, if I had to rate it between all the other things I like to do, it doesn't rise to the top, Pun intended. I still go some but the 100+ fish days don't make up for the zero days, all considered, I don't think. I sometimes urn for the days when I had a can of worms, an old collapsible Bistol steel rod with a cheap bait casting reel and fabric line with a spinner and hook, walking the brooks all around where I lived, for Brook Trout. In those days, everyone could freely walk on anyone's land without permission, nobody cared. Fields were kept up so that bushes didn't obscure the brooks and Salters still ran in June.

Flatlanders bought the land and don't want anyone walking on THEIR land, never mind fish in the brook there The Salters are long since gone, I am told. Ah, the glory days! I am certain I had the great fortune to grow up in the very best time in America. I wouldn't want to be young for nuthin!

Where does the Possession thing come from when it comes to someone walking on another's land? Does it come from City Dwellers who never had any or where? It has remained a strange way of living to someone who grew up in complete freedom.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 05-16-2018 at 01:58 PM.