Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting True Center

Nez,

If there is going to be runout on the reamer shank I know it before I get that deep. I'm really just getting a data point to make me feel good. Also to hopefully make a point with those that think a floating/pusher reamer holder cures misalignment issues. If by chance something funny is going on I check barrel setup, throat and roughed chamber to see what's off. Re adjust the throat as needed and true up a short portion of the roughed chamber. While not a perfect scenario in regards to concentricity, with the bushing and chamber mouth running true it's then difficult to force a reamer off center when it's supported on each end and a bit of friction. 99.9% of my chambers are roughed in with a caliber specific core drill. The front follows the bore and the rear, which I'm sure isn't perfectly aligned axially, can act like a single point tool. I've measured runout of roughed chambers and they are in tenths. Chambers measure the same. For the odd chambers I rough them with a drill then true with a boring bar to get the pilot in the bore when the body starts cutting. That's really the same process for re aligning the barrel.
    Is any of this the perfect process? No there is nothing perfect. After inspecting hundreds of my chambers for concentricity in the throat I know this works for me every time.

Working between centers and using a steady rest is a completely different animal.

Dave,

Thank you!!!

Nez

Something I found interesting

was a tool post keyless chuck Edge Products sells. It can be set up to a dead nuts center on one's tool post, eliminating the need for a tail stock in a lot of cases, it seems to me, this or one of the MT tool post holders one could/can get, to more or less do the same thing. The carriage is a lot easier to use than a tail stock, and way more versatile. Got a MT#3 block coming to try, me. Can use my ER 40 collets as well in it. Thinking about getting a lot closer to good centers here:

I once watched watched a Smith of some renown run a reamer into a chamber he was doing for me straight in, chucked into his tail stock. I must say, I was freaked a bit but the dern rifle shot great, sooooooooo.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 05-12-2018 at 03:12 PM.

[QUOTE=Pete Wass;80937}I once watched watched a Smith of some renown run a reamer into a chamber he was doing for me straight in, chucked into his tail stock. I must say, I was freaked a bit but the dern rifle shot great, sooooooooo.

Pete[/QUOTE]

Pete, running a Reamer in with a solid mount as you described I'll not nessssarilly produce a crooked chamber, but in all likelyhood could produce a chamber that is larger than it should be. The Rifle will shoot fine in all likeklyhood, but the brass will suffer over repeated firings.

As it turned out

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Pete, running a Reamer in with a solid mount as you described I'll not nessssarilly produce a crooked chamber, but in all likelyhood could produce a chamber that is larger than it should be. The Rifle will shoot fine in all likeklyhood, but the brass will suffer over repeated firings.
    that chamber was fine and dandy. Prolly he knew his tailstock was running dead true.

Pete