Thread: Another New Member with a Question

Another New Member with a Question

Good afternoon all!

I shoot with the American Single Shot Rifle Association and especially enjoy shooting bench rest events with classic style single shot rifles and cast bullets. Currently I have a Douglas-barreled Peregrine in 32/357 with what is admittedly a modern style BR stock, shooting a 200 grain cast bullet. Now for my question; since I'm not "in the mainstream" of BR, I hear snippets about tools and manufacturers for BR specialties, but don't necessarily find out much about them. I'd like to know about a company called MCRW who makes/made such specialty tools. Are they still around? What kinds of things do/did they make? I've heard about a Culver-style powder measure conversion and a tong tool like a Lyman 310 on steroids.
    Please be gentle with me... I'm just a lamb to the slaughter here!

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 04-27-2018 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Good afternoon all!

I shoot with the American Single Shot Rifle Association and especially enjoy shooting bench rest events with classic style single shot rifles and cast bullets. Currently I have a Douglas-barreled Peregrine in 32/357 with what is admittedly a modern style BR stock, shooting a 200 grain cast bullet. Now for my question; since I'm not "in the mainstream" of BR, I hear snippets about tools and manufacturers for BR specialties, but don't necessarily find out much about them. I'd like to know about a company called MCRW who makes/made such specialty tools. Are they still around? What kinds of things do/did they make? I've heard about a Culver-style powder measure conversion and a tong tool like a Lyman 310 on steroids.
    Please be gentle with me... I'm just a lamb to the slaughter here!

Froggie
    But you've got a serious leg up on the previous "new member"...................you really exist!

LOL

Welcome Froggie.

I have no/nada/zero information for you as the BR you refer to doesn't intersect with the BR I know.

I do have several "Culver" measures and I even have a tong tool but I don't use either of them for anything any more.

That said, SOMEONE here will help and steer you if they can. Just not me I'm so far from cast bullet BR that I go over to "Cast Boolits" when I want info for my weird subsonic projects and for BP stuff....

Thanks for the welcome! If there are other folks like you here, I'll assume I made a good decision to register here. If you DO wander over to the "Cast Boolits" forum, look for me there and give me a shout out... the same screen name works there (as well as ASSRA, S&W Forum, etc, etc.)

Froggie

It's your lucky day.
    Go to the "competition" section on this website. Look down to the thread "Isabella Matches cancelled" or some thing like that. The guy that started that thread is Matt Dardas. He signs on as "pikedrop". He casts about a million bullets a year or something like that. If you are into lead poisoning, you probably have dealt with him. He would be the guy to send a private message to if he hasn't already contacted you. Click on his name and choose "send a private message" or something like that.
    And welcome or something like that.

I seem to remember MCRW....they made powder drops I believe and as I remember they weren't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    I seem to remember MCRW....they made powder drops I believe and as I remember they weren't cheap.
    Maybe contemporary with Homer Culver or soon after? The inserts in otherwise standard Lyman 55s look pretty similar to the originals. anybody have a time frame in mind??

Froggie