Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: Slugging new barrel blanks?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    881
    It seems that almost no one has taken the time to go back to my original post and see what it was actually about. My question had to do with doing research for a friend regarding the value of slugging barrels to determine whether they were "good" or "bad" . I have freely admitted that I know less than nothing about barrel slugging, so I have no "opinion" and make no "claims" one way or the other. This thread has deteriorated into questions about the calibration of the human bicep, slugging with 22LR bullets, shotgun pellets, poured slugs and cotton patches. Mike E has chosen to feel "disrespected" because I did not agree with his personal experience. That's unfortunate as well as the fact that he chose to make a public issue of a private conversation. But both of those are his decision. Several others seem to have taken as a personal insult that I would disagree with them since I am so very ignorant about the whole thing. It really makes no difference to me what anyone thinks they can "feel" when pushing a patch or a slug through a barrel. I will say that if it was all that important it would seem that all benchrest barrels would be slugged and that all smiths doing benchrest work would do it. Clearly, that is not the case. I personally know a number of smiths who chamber benchrest barrels and none of them slug blanks. I have seen enough on this thread to know what I think and I'm pretty sure my friend has seen it or will shortly. So for us, the information has been provided.

    Rick

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    It seems that almost no one has taken the time to go back to my original post and see what it was actually about. My question had to do with doing research for a friend regarding the value of slugging barrels to determine whether they were "good" or "bad" . I have freely admitted that I know less than nothing about barrel slugging, so I have no "opinion" and make no "claims" one way or the other. This thread has deteriorated into questions about the calibration of the human bicep, slugging with 22LR bullets, shotgun pellets, poured slugs and cotton patches. Mike E has chosen to feel "disrespected" because I did not agree with his personal experience. That's unfortunate as well as the fact that he chose to make a public issue of a private conversation. But both of those are his decision. Several others seem to have taken as a personal insult that I would disagree with them since I am so very ignorant about the whole thing. It really makes no difference to me what anyone thinks they can "feel" when pushing a patch or a slug through a barrel. I will say that if it was all that important it would seem that all benchrest barrels would be slugged and that all smiths doing benchrest work would do it. Clearly, that is not the case. I personally know a number of smiths who chamber benchrest barrels and none of them slug blanks. I have seen enough on this thread to know what I think and I'm pretty sure my friend has seen it or will shortly. So for us, the information has been provided.

    Rick
    Apparently, your mind was made up before you got conflicting experienced replies, Rick. It's also apparent that you aren't interested in the notion of being proven wrong. I offered to post a video and I had planned to bring a couple of barrel stubs and slugs for you to see it firsthand, with one condition, that you apologize if I am right. As for me feeling disrespected from our conversation, I told you that I can feel small variances in the bore with slugging. Your reply was, "no you can't..you might think you can. Nothing you can say can change my mind because (blank) said so."

    IOW, you were calling me a liar. Feeling variances of your stated .001-.002" is not subjective, at all.
    We discussed this, so I'm not just now, jumping to this conclusion. You were OK with my feeling disrespected then. Now, I'm OK with it too.
    Last edited by mwezell; 04-29-2018 at 03:59 PM.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fresno
    Posts
    5,505
    It seems that you have a strong opinion on this subject even though you have no personal experience.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    169
    The benefits of slugging barrels is controversial...even among barrel makers. One barrel maker stated that slugging was unnecessary and a waste of time since they had air gauges that measured in millionths of an inch. When I asked another barrel maker (one of the top 3 makers) about this, he surprised me when he stated that both air gauges and slugging have their place in evaluating barrels. I was somewhat surprised and I did not get a complete explanation from him. Therefore, please don't let this come between friends. Just because one has strong opinions on a given subject, does not mean that he/she knows all there is to know about the subject. Good shooting...James

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    Apparently, your mind was made up before you got conflicting experienced replies, Rick. It's also apparent that you aren't interested in the notion of being proven wrong. I offered to post a video and I had planned to bring a couple of barrel stubs and slugs for you to see it firsthand, with one condition, that you apologize if I am right. As for me feeling disrespected from our conversation, I told you that I can feel small variances in the bore with slugging. Your reply was, "no you can't..you might think you can. Nothing you can say can change my mind because (blank) said so."

    IOW, you were calling me a liar. Feeling variances of your stated .001-.002" is not subjective, at all.
    We discussed this, so I'm not just now, jumping to this conclusion. You were OK with my feeling disrespected then. Now, I'm OK with it too.
    Disagreeing with a persons opinions and beliefs whether experienced or not is quite different than calling that person a liar, which would indicate that said person knows what they are saying is false. Your feelings about disrespect are yours and your choice. I simply disagree with you. If you have trouble with that it's not my problem.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    It seems that you have a strong opinion on this subject even though you have no personal experience.
    Yes, I will admit to having some strong opinions about a number of things of which I have no experience. Never placed my hand on a red hot stove burner, but I have a strong opinion that I would get a severe burn. You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Yes, I will admit to having some strong opinions about a number of things of which I have no experience. Never placed my hand on a red hot stove burner, but I have a strong opinion that I would get a severe burn. You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
    Theorizing that a hot burner will burn you doesn't make you an electrical engineer, Rick. It is, what it is.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Claryville, New York
    Posts
    454

    In a taper lapped barrel

    Push the dam thing backwards and you will feel it release. When second guessing the barrel makers. You need more than internet skills.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Branchville, NJ
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by coyotechet View Post
    Hi Mike On your last post lost you say the OP talked about feeling the difference of .001 to .002 while slugging.I have read and reread his post and all he said or talked about was slugging or not slugging. Are you saying that the top barrel makers let out some barrels with as much as .002 error in a top grade match Barrel ? I think .002 would be GREAT BIG ERROR and I am very sure that much can be felt with a soft lead slug. I also would also like to think that .002 would not be true maybe .0002 or less P.S. Just asking because I don't know.Chet
    Our .30cal test barrels requirements are .3000" to .3005" on the lands and .3080" to .3085" on the groove. We have had lots of barrels that were outside those numbers. They still shot accuratly, but didnt pass pressure or velocity requirements. We shoot everything with referance ammo to confirm.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    5,656

    Wouldn't it depend

    Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    Our .30cal test barrels requirements are .3000" to .3005" on the lands and .3080" to .3085" on the groove. We have had lots of barrels that were outside those numbers. They still shot accuratly, but didnt pass pressure or velocity requirements. We shoot everything with referance ammo to confirm.
    on what one's accuracy requirements are?

    In the Benchrest arena, we are generally looking to keep bullets inside one bullet hole, vs an X ring that is, say an "eench" or biggeer for some games.

    I don't think there is any substitute for straight barrels that have a sligth taper, ending at the muzzle. Likely , the only way to know that is by slugging, from my experience.

    Pete

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mattoon
    Posts
    3,139
    I buy slugs from a company called neco i do believe. I slug barrels from time to time. Not every one i will admit. I can only recall one barrel that i actually felt had a problem. When i talked to my customer about this feeling i had, we decided to just chamber it and see what happened. I felt a loose spot about 4 inches in. This barrel had a weigh requirement so cutting the first 4 inches off wasnt an option. Long story short, this particular barrel won several yardages, and a two gun. Needless to say, i do not slug my own barrels. I think for me, i just dont want to feel any loose spots where i intend to cut the crown. Lee

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,347
    Slugging a "few" barrels out of many doesn't tell you much.

    Want consistency? slug them all.



    .

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Branchville, NJ
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    on what one's accuracy requirements are?In the Benchrest arena, we are generally looking to keep bullets inside one bullet hole, vs an X ring that is, say an "eench" or biggeer for some games.I don't think there is any substitute for straight barrels that have a sligth taper, ending at the muzzle. Likely , the only way to know that is by slugging, from my experience.Pete
    We look for consistency and a taper towards the muzzle. Some of our reject barrels for dimension, these were .2995" on bore and .3084" on groove the entire length, still shot well for accuracy, but were off on pressures. Slugging cant give you the same info that a good air gauge can, it's just within the financial grasp of more people. An air gage needs to have for each caliber, two spindles ground for the number of grooves and the twist, one for lands, and the other for grooves, plus a pair of calibration rings for each.
    Last edited by MilGunsmith; 05-15-2018 at 07:47 AM.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SW Montana
    Posts
    88
    I have slugged a lot of barrels, and lapped a lot of them as well. Theres no doubt you can feel very small things with a lead lap or slug. I just dont know that I would ever send one back unless I felt something really bad. The reason I say that, is after all the different methods I have tried to predict how a barrel will shoot, I have found I can not do it. Loose spots, straight, crooked, even imperfections in the bore. I wonder how many barrels that have been sent back were record breakers? I know one of the best I personally owned was a button with a loose spot so bad you could feel it with a brush or patch. That barrel shot well enough to win anywhere in the country. I still do it and usually let the customer decide what to do, but every time they have said to chamber it and I cant stay any have been disappointed. I think a lot of barrel manufacturers have stories of barrel that were sent back and how they shot for them. Now if I had an x-ray that could see stress, THEN I would send barrels back. Of course I do stick to a few top cut barrels for the most part that I have had very good luck with.
    Last edited by zfastmalibu; 05-15-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •