Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help from real machinists

Years and years ago, at the nuclear plant, another fellow and myself stole some sheet metal and cut it into triangles for a swing set he was building. We thought that was the hard part and the next night we were gonna drill holes for bolting it all together. That stuff was fairly thin and the first hole went easily....but we burned up every drill bit we could find trying to drill another. The next morning I asked a machinist to drill the holes and he quickly drilled them while we were turning over the shift. Never did figure out why we had such trouble but I'm thinking now that the drill was running bassackwards.

[quote=wilbur;80901 never did figure out why we had such trouble but i'm thinking now that the drill was running bassackwards.[/quote]

lol

Alinwa you pretty much covered it all on my behalf and really quite sad to see how Jackie was being treated. One would be hard pressed not only to find a nicer and more helpful Gentleman. He probably has accomplished more high end machine work and gained more knowledge than some here now seem to proclaim. And he was probably doing it before he even got out of high school so it rubbed me a bit raw.

JLouis

JLouis - Me too...but Jackie understands that every now and then somebody gets up on the wrong side of the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    JLouis - Me too...but Jackie understands that every now and then somebody gets up on the wrong side of the keyboard.
    Just saw this and it put a smile on my face.

Mort

Just out of curiosity I tested the hardness of a 1/4" tapered Pacific stainless lug this morning on my hardness tester. It tested Rockwell C 42. That sounds about right to me for hardened 416. I have no idea what stainless they use from their stainless lugs. I built a powder measure for myself a few months ago using a piece of 304 stainless for the body. There won't be another one of them, I guarantee. I went through more carbide cutters milling the flats on each side of the body and kept expecting to break a tap off in it every time I tapped a hole. It sure made the aluminum I had used on all the rest of them seem easy in comparison. I never have responded to this post as the title of it definitely left me out. Lots of difference between someone who has worked as a machinist all of their lives working with a wide range of materials and someone who has barreled a few barrels over the years. I consider the real machinists to be some of these guys who can practically make anything with a lathe and mill and pretty much think outside the box. Jim Farley comes to my mind in this regard. He is quite a machinist. If it wasn't for Jim, there never would have been the joystick front rest that has pretty well taken over the benchrest world. Quite a feat of thinking outside the box to make the first one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bryant View Post
    ................and kept expecting to break a tap off in it every time I tapped a hole. ..........
    That's me in a nutshell. I got 'er done, and I guess I should post a picture of what I was actually doing but I think I'll wait to see how the assembly SHOOTS before getting hasty with the pix

Wanna watch a real machinist

Robin Rinsetti comes to mind. One of the most skilled and smartest minds out there. You can find him on YouTube.There is also Joe Pi in Austin Texas. These people develop systems to make things work better and more accurately.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    That's me in a nutshell. I got 'er done, and I guess I should post a picture of what I was actually doing but I think I'll wait to see how the assembly SHOOTS before getting hasty with the pix
    On most 300 series stainless steels we recommend tap drilling for about 60% full thread instead of the normal 75-78% of full thread.

Some 300 series like 303FM can go75%. Wait till you try some of the exotics like Hastalloy or Inconell!!!

Thanks Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    Robin Rinsetti comes to mind. One of the most skilled and smartest minds out there. You can find him on YouTube.There is also Joe Pi in Austin Texas. These people develop systems to make things work better and more accurately.

Pete
    Thanks for the heads up! Here's the YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn4...L2nLe1m_3as6JQ The guy is obviously d***ed good.

GsT

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    On most 300 series stainless steels we recommend tap drilling for about 60% full thread instead of the normal 75-78% of full thread.

Some 300 series like 303FM can go75%. Wait till you try some of the exotics like Hastalloy or Inconell!!!

Jerry, I donít know whether you ever met Joe Archer or not. We used to travel to matches in the GC and Midcontinent region from the 80ís to the Mid 2000ís or so. He works in a machine shop and has ever since they left Shamrock that uses a lot of hastalloy, inconel, and other exotic materials making medical valves. I thought he was going to get to shoot Seymour this coming weekend but snapped a rod in his back a few weeks ago and had to have it redone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bryant View Post
    Jerry, I donít know whether you ever met Joe Archer or not. We used to travel to matches in the GC and Midcontinent region from the 80ís to the Mid 2000ís or so. He works in a machine shop and has ever since they left Shamrock that uses a lot of hastalloy, inconel, and other exotic materials making medical valves. I thought he was going to get to shoot Seymour this coming weekend but snapped a rod in his back a few weeks ago and had to have it redone.
    Mike, I never had the privilege of meeting Joe, and, 2018 I missed my first Shamrock. I had made them all from Shamrock1to now. To me the Shamrock was a great way to start a new BR season....i.e.will these new barrels shoot??

Hastalloy, Inconell, Waspally and many of the "Space Age" materials you get into working for a large chemical manufacturer.