Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some advice on gun safe

Look at your needs first.

1) Keeping firearms away from small children...buy a safe.

2)No small children and you have guns for home defense...don't buy a safe, just keep everything covered with NRA Armscare insurance,

Keeping guns safe from burghers? If they break in and find a big gun safe locked they will simply burn your house down..

Thank you for some advice. Like I said I write a post about gun safe reviews on the blog about guns. I use some of your advice in my content

Old man advice

My stepdad told me when I was little, lock is to keep a man honest not to stop a thief".
    Rather sound advice, a dedicated thief will find a way to get in.

If you put it in the basement, I suggest you put it on blocks to keep it off the colder, floor and to prevent moisture from harming the bottom. It also allows you to run a 115 volt cord under the safe, and through the hole in the bottom to place a heater in the safe.

I hesitate to tell the public at large that I do or do not have a safe. That's the first step.

Bought a Sportman's Steel back in the 70's. Body 1/4 plate door 3/8 and no need to bolt it down takes more than four to move it. Also takes more than a cordless drill and a sawzall to cut through it and just reach in and take everything out. Combination lock a top of the line Greenleaf and one can drill to his hearts desire and still not get in. Nothing pretty to look at either and it just sits in the garage and if they can haul it off they can have it and everything inside and God Bless them for trying without being seen or being shot in the process. It has pre-drilled holes in the bottom for concrete anchors but I have never felt the need to utilize them and the inside shelves and floor are nicely carpeted. Also not fire proof but all it takes is some fire rated sheet rock. It's also not a fire that destroys everything inside it's the smoke if you can keep it out. A close friend had a fire proof safe and it was not the fire but the smoke that caused him to loose all of his firearms and scopes inside. And he took them out just as soon as as the fire department allowed him access and already to late to save anything inside. All rusted and pitted beyond ones imagination.

JLouis
    Last edited by Louis.J; 04-16-2018 at 10:32 PM.

I seem to be on the same hunt with you!
    So right now I am looking for a new safe for my rifles, however I am looking for in-wall style for the rifles. What are your recommendations, friends? Having read some reviews online https://secretstorages.com/best-wall-safes/ , I'm leaning towards Barska Biometric Rifle Safe. Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this unit or has something similar?
    Thanks for any help
    Last edited by SamuelReg77; 04-24-2018 at 04:54 AM.

These guys explain what's needed in a safe.

I've used them for over 30yrs. Have one in my home today.

http://www.graffundersafes.com/index.html