Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muzzle Brake

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    . . . so, just prove the uselessness of the brake, I removed it and fired one shot, whereupon, I re-installed the brake, and

Ohh My Word Randy, you made me gurgle my cawfeee, near burnt my throat on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by RATGONIFER View Post
    >>>> snip <<<<<

I have a couple dozen rifles with MB's from 22 cal up. One particular 15" 7-08 on a XP-100 receiver that I LOVE... with the MB off the pistol jumps up, backwards and rolls to the left completely off the bi-pod(it weighs slightly over 5 lbs) with me holding on for dear life....with it on it barely lifts the right bi-pod leg(still torques to the left a bit), but NO rearward movement and I barely hold it. >>>> snip <<<<<
    A few years ago (in another life) I was involved in controlled comparative tests between an AK-47 and an AK-74.The AK-74 was a later development of the AK-47.

One of the improvements on the AK-74 was the inclusion of barrel porting (upwards facing muzzle brake).
    It was scary how the shots stayed on target without the barrel climbing when firing bursts on full auto. I made a mental note to keep well away from anybody who wanted to hurt me with one of them.

Also some of the other toys that I played with (50cal - 155mm) also had generous, side-rear facing muzzle brakes. Try firing a Barrett M82 without the muzzle brake and you better have a good medical plan! If they are good enough for Government work they are ok by me.

* doghunter *

Quote Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
    A few years ago (in another life) I was involved in controlled comparative tests between an AK-47 and an AK-74.The AK-74 was a later development of the AK-47.

One of the improvements on the AK-74 was the inclusion of barrel porting (upwards facing muzzle brake).
    It was scary how the shots stayed on target without the barrel climbing when firing bursts on full auto. I made a mental note to keep well away from anybody who wanted to hurt me with one of them.

Also some of the other toys that I played with (50cal - 155mm) also had generous, side-rear facing muzzle brakes. Try firing a Barrett M82 without the muzzle brake and you better have a good medical plan! If they are good enough for Government work they are ok by me.

* doghunter *
    I have a special set of dunnage at the range. When guys are shooting 50s the outside 4-man bench becomes a 2-position bench with a couple hundred lb of wood on the table to make a fence.....

And the fence gets batted around.

The very first rule with the big stuff is, "the harder you hug it, the worse it stings!" You gotta hang on to the train until it puts the brakes on! You cannot stop it.7

We use very few back blasting brakes, because they suck. They suck the air right out of you. One in particular I got rid of because firing it was like getting slapped about the face and chest with a snow shovel. Left you gasping.

BTW some kid on youtube just came up with something called "The Square Brake". Gonna go make me one. New idear's are scarce.

I need to apologize to BenchRest members for posting about brakes without having made, or used one.

This discussion has made me very angry with just about all firearms manufacturers, because of their failure to include brakes on all of their products. At least all of them over .22 caliber (I recently read of a factory-original BSA Monarch in .243 caliber that has a BESA brake.

And speaking of BSA, I have handled a 7X57 that appeared to have originally featured a BESA integral brake. Said brake was removed (by a previous owner) by shortening/crowning the barrel, and mounting a new front sight. The original (multi-leaf?) rear sight was also swapped out. 😡😡😡

I'm also sorry about mentioning the (1960's) Guns and Ammo blood pressure shotgun recoil comparison test. I only offered it as something anecdotal, and had no intention to mislead.

F1

PS, look after your retinas, guys!
    Last edited by Fussy1; 03-05-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fussy1 View Post
    Not a big believer in brakes, except for military use (field pieces, tanks, etc.) They can only divert gas in chosen directions. Said gas must be directed to the rear in order to provide any recoil reduction. Upward direction would affect only muzzle rise.I'm calling BS on most other brake claims, IMNTBHO.PS: The EDM machining process leaves no burrs, and can provide exotic hole shapes. 😎
    Having shot numerous brakes over the years as well as ported barrels, I call BS on your calling BS :-) They definitely do work. I would never shoot either without proper ear protection. I already have some tinnitus, and take care so that it does not worsen. I believe that it came from work related noise rather than shooting. If you look on Youtube you will find some very well done tests that demonstrate the amount of recoil reduction of various brake designs as compared to the same rifle and load without one. This is not to say that ported barrels are not a good way to go. Years back I suggested that a couple of acquaintances who were having recoil issues have it done and both were extremely happy with the result. One was a smaller guy that was getting beat up by the Remington 700 BDL 7mm Mag. that he had always wanted, and the other was an older gentleman who had lost enough muscle mass that his .300 WM had become a bit much with 180s. The first fellow told me that recoil was reduced to that of a .308, and I had a chance to shoot the second one and it was significantly reduced as well. Lately I have seen varmint shooters put brakes on their rifles, not so much for recoil reduction but so that they can see their hits. EDM porting stays with the barrel, and for a high volume shooter being able to move a brake to a new barrel is an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fussy1 View Post

This discussion has made me very angry with just about all firearms manufacturers, because of their failure !

Sorry you're mad there Fussy.

I live by this rule "life is short, then you die"

Why waste precious time?

seriously

al-happy-happy-happy-inwa

A decent muzzle brake will make a massive difference to recoil

My extensive testing has proven this time & time again.

Not all muzzle brakes are created equal & there are still no free lunches

I shot a heavy (16.25lb) 338 Edge in the weekend with a conventional 90 degree 3 port brake.

I was very surprised by how much it pushed me around.

I'm used to way less recoil provided by my brakes in rifles weighing 1/2 to 3/4 the weight.

Back to the OP, there is no problem with a 1/2 x 28 thread on a 30 cal & my tiny T1 brakes performance would amaze you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    A decent muzzle brake will make a massive difference to recoil

My extensive testing has proven this time & time again.

Not all muzzle brakes are created equal & there are still no free lunches

I shot a heavy (16.25lb) 338 Edge in the weekend with a conventional 90 degree 3 port brake.

I was very surprised by how much it pushed me around.

I'm used to way less recoil provided by my brakes in rifles weighing 1/2 to 3/4 the weight.

Back to the OP, there is no problem with a 1/2 x 28 thread on a 30 cal & my tiny T1 brakes performance would amaze you.
    And I bring in my 338's (Edge, RUM, McCallum, 338/378) at around 8-9 lb, WITH the scope

Yeahh, large 338's NEED braked.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    And I bring in my 338's (Edge, RUM, McCallum, 338/378) at around 8-9 lb, WITH the scope

Yeahh, large 338's NEED braked.
    A lot like this one then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZLMuKHxbI&t=11s

yup.

And my liddle girls can shoot'em

That's a beautiful vid by the way.... that girl knows her way around the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    yup.

And my liddle girls can shoot'em

That's a beautiful vid by the way.... that girl knows her way around the rifle.
    Thanks, it was a while ago now, she is 18 now, hasn't shot much the last few years, to busy with phones & boys I guess ;-)

Thanks, it was a while ago now, she is 18 now, hasn't shot much the last few years, to busy with phones & boys I guess ;-)
    You are blest Good On Ya. And BTW, ain't nuttin' wrong with phones and boys......

The first thing that's apparent in the vid is that she's not scared of the gun, the recoil. I just want you to know that at least one other father out there (me) noticed.

I tell my kids (and my students of all ages and sizes) "if it's hurting you, TELL ME! Or any other instructor..... shooting is to be FUN!"

And that Terminator is an attractive and effective brake, huge impact area. Good design.