Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So, what makes great 22 Rimfire ammo great?

Jim, Guess I ought to try the remaining Federal in my 2011 - it was NIB when I bought it on GunBroker, so naturally still has the OEM bbl. Thing is, it seems to like the same lot#s of SK Rifle Match & Lapua Center-X as my custom barrels do - but that's no reason not to give the Federal a chance...just in case. I don't shoot smallbore matches anyway - just use it for prone practice & to exercise my shooting eye with irons. The Robertson H&H prone stocks on my BAT 3L prone rifles are a near perfect copy of Anschutz's xx11 series wood prone stocks, so they make great trainers for CF LR prone shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    Jim, Guess I ought to try the remaining Federal in my 2011 - it was NIB when I bought it on GunBroker, so naturally still has the OEM bbl. Thing is, it seems to like the same lot#s of SK Rifle Match & Lapua Center-X as my custom barrels do - but that's no reason not to give the Federal a chance...just in case. I don't shoot smallbore matches anyway - just use it for prone practice & to exercise my shooting eye with irons. The Robertson H&H prone stocks on my BAT 3L prone rifles are a near perfect copy of Anschutz's xx11 series wood prone stocks, so they make great trainers for CF LR prone shooting.

The guy I got the gun from is a 1000 yd. shooter and they shoot the rimfire 200 yds. It was a shooter with Federal Ultra Match. I will shoot it some this year 50 and a 100 yds. I tried RWS R50 and it shot bad at 50 yds.in the high winds but Federal UM22 shot a hole......... jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim1K View Post
    The guy I got the gun from is a 1000 yd. shooter and they shoot the rimfire 200 yds. It was a shooter with Federal Ultra Match. I will shoot it some this year 50 and a 100 yds. I tried RWS R50 and it shot bad at 50 yds.in the high winds but Federal UM22 shot a hole......... jim
    Better get all you can.. from what i have read.. it is being discontinued! i have seen prices as low as 800 bucks a case for it

Post # 14 pretty well covers the O.P's original question. Consistency in manufacturing and attention to detail helps a lot.

If your barrel does not like this Eley diet then unless you can fit a better barrel then find some better ammo. The only alternative that I have found is Lapua Polar Biathlon for cold weather use but then cold weather in Oz is less than 10C so pretty warm for some people. Using an Annie 1411 btw.

Just as a disclaimer. I resent paying top $$ for the top shelf stuff but I like to win against people who pay $1000's for their .22 rig and then try to compete with the cheapest ammo that might work. It ain't rocket science!

* doghunter *

Quote Originally Posted by USMCDOC View Post
    Better get all you can.. from what i have read.. it is being discontinued! i have seen prices as low as 800 bucks a case for it
    I did, I'm good for the rest of my time. But I will always keep looking for something better. I never did try 922A it may work....... jim

I did, I'm good for the rest of my time. But I will always keep looking for something better. I never did try 922A it may work....... jim
    Good deal! I tried it, my rifles don't like it

Good deal! I tried it, my rifles don't like it

I know I think I have the only one that shoots it, plus any lot seems to work good ..... good selling point, shoots cheap if I decide to send it down the road. It doesn't like Eley, RWS R50 and Lapua....... jim

I know I think I have the only one that shoots it, plus any lot seems to work good ..... good selling point, shoots cheap if I decide to send it down the road. It doesn't like Eley, RWS R50 and Lapua....... jim
    It's funny that you say that your rifle really likes the UM22.. and not the R-50.. fore there is a bunch over on RFC that swear that UM22 and R-50 are the exact same thing!

It's funny that you say that your rifle really likes the UM22.. and not the R-50.. fore there is a bunch over on RFC that swear that UM22 and R-50 are the exact same thing!
    I was told the same, and it cost me a ton to find out it isn't........ jim