Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Benchrest - Optics Question

New to Benchrest - Optics Question

All,

I want to start competing at the local range. Competition is at 300 yards, I was told that ideallly Iíd have.a scope that can see the bullet holes at that range. Please let me know if this is true and if so, what power scope will do that?

Thanks!

What cartridge are you planning to shoot?

Being able to see your bullet holes is needed.

A 36x scope will get the job done, though there are ones offered in much higher magnification ranges.

If you give us a price range we can offer suggestions as to what scopes to look into.

Thanks!
    Josh

My seventy year old eyes need a lot more than 36x, but that's just me. The lowest power scope I use is a 48X March. When I shoot at one of the ranges where we hold matches I've learned not to use a 220 Beggs. It's a very flat range and the mirage is brutal. So, you have a choice. One can guess when the wind is still and the mirage is high or one can shoot in the wind and do your best. With the exception of the 48X, the rest are either 10x60 or 15x55. Go for all the power you can get. You can always turn it down, but I never do.

Rick

I agree wit Rick. A 36x is adequate, but at 300, more will not hurt a thing.

We had a night time 300 match just last weekend. The target frames were lit up. I shot a 6mm with a 36 Valdada and never saw a bullet hole.

Like Rick, I really like the new March 48x HighMaster.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 02-02-2018 at 12:29 PM.

I have a March 10X60 and I love it, but to answer your question, get the highest power scope that you can tolerate, and still see the bullet holes. There is "NOTHING" like shooting and not seeing where you land. And a spotters scope just does not cut it.

How much power

as has been suggested, get the highest power scope that you can afford. Buy the best,you won't be disappointed.

If you're going to shoot, primarily, at 300yds,be aware that some conditions will make it difficult,if not impossible, to distinguish bullet holes,no matter what the magnification.

Glenn

Thanks for the insight. one of the threads asked for price range.
    How about suggestions for $500, $750, and $1000.
    In my original post I forgot to mention that Iím shooting a 6mm

6 mm WHAT ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ltrep View Post
    Thanks for the insight. one of the threads asked for price range.
    How about suggestions for $500, $750, and $1000.
    In my original post I forgot to mention that Iím shooting a 6mm

Good air

The more power you dial up the better the air has to be in order to make use of it. It's the same when shooting a camera with a telephoto on it. The best lens can produce lousy images when the air is crap. I shoot srbr and use a 36x - 55x march. Most of the time it rarely gets above 42x because the mirage at my home range is brutal.

So my advice buy a variable with as much power and zoom range you can afford. Then dial up the power to suit on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    6 mm WHAT ??
    6mm br

the cartridge has great potential, but it is still a 6mm hole.
    i would spend the 1000 or more.
    a used nightforce 12-42 will run about 1200
    i have used a 8,5-25 leupold, but really it was too little scope.
    Last edited by retired; 02-13-2018 at 11:24 AM.

I too like the 48 March, but don't forget the Vortex 10-60 GE. They hold the point of impact and are very reasonable in price. You can see 6mm holes at 400 yds. in pretty good mirage. only down side is they are a little heavy. ........ Jim

The Nightforce Benchrest 12x42 is a very good scope. If you are patient and don't mind handling marks you can get one for around $1000. I've owned several of them. Also, for a little less you can get a Sightron 10x60. Several of the guys I compete with use them and all seemed to be very well satisfied. There is one listed on Accurate Shooter.com right now for $800 shipped. I have seen them listed for $7-750 from time to time. Either of these should show you .243 holes @ 300 yards on a good day. But I can also tell you that on a bad day for mirage they all look like pillow cases.

Rick

I use a 8-32x nxs nightforce and can see 6 mm holes at the 500 yard match easily,,, on a good day. On a heavy mirrage day you just look for the group forming and go from there. Sometimes like others mentioned heavy mirrage can make it hard to see holes at 300 too.

I also use a Sightron 36X with similar results.

My eyes are pretty good still I think at 41 year's old.

Everyone,

Thanks for your insight. I have a nightforce 8-32, so Iíll give it a try for a couple matches and then get a little more power when Iím ready to spend a little extra for something good.

Again, appreciate everyoneís help!