Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 99

Thread: Annealing made perfect aztec sort

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    188
    Any way of salt bath annealing without having to tumble afterwards?

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    55

    Cool Zip it

    Put in ziplock bag then tumble

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    293
    You can rinse and dry. I tumble because I resize, neck turn, anneal then tumble. Your mileage may vary. Im sure there are better ways.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    55

    Cool Check it out

    Use zip lock keeps thumbler clean bill b

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrawand View Post
    Use zip lock keeps thumbler clean bill b
    Never tried that in my vibratory tumbler

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Eastern Australia
    Posts
    167

    Post

    I ultrasonic clean my cases in citric acid (lemon juice) solution.

    20 times faster than a tumbler (about 5 minutes for a batch of 20 cases) and no need to pick the walnut shells from the primer holes.
    Result, shiny clean cases and my tumbler is now redundant.

    Rinse in clean water and put them on a tray into the oven set on dead low for 15 minutes

    * doggie *

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    293
    I have an ultrasonic cleaner and never use it. Id rather throw it in the tumbler with walnut shells and leave for two hours. I spray a bit of windex on cases before tumbling. No drying and I dont have to pick shells from primer pockets. I use it more than my stainless media tumbler too, but everyone has their ways

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    585
    don't use walnut shells and you will not have to pick them out of flash holes.
    use blasting media..fine ground corn cob

    (20 times 5 is 200 min so 3 plus hours..i guess you get that from using the wrong media)
    and 20 times (5 plus 15 for dry) is well over 12 hours your math is not so good.

    how shinny are they after heating in the oven ?

    fresh blasting media is about 1 hour, 2-300 at a time

    and just how much dog hunting do you do with just 20 cases ?
    Quote Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
    I ultrasonic clean my cases in citric acid (lemon juice) solution.

    20 times faster than a tumbler (about 5 minutes for a batch of 20 cases) and no need to pick the walnut shells from the primer holes.
    Result, shiny clean cases and my tumbler is now redundant.

    Rinse in clean water and put them on a tray into the oven set on dead low for 15 minutes

    * doggie *

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    I have an ultrasonic cleaner and never use it. Id rather throw it in the tumbler with walnut shells and leave for two hours. I spray a bit of windex on cases before tumbling. No drying and I dont have to pick shells from primer pockets. I use it more than my stainless media tumbler too, but everyone has their ways
    Just a suggestion, use a polishing media without ammonia, Windex has ammonia. Ammonia causes intergranular corrosion in brass, leading to cracking.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    188
    What tumbler are you all using?

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    293
    Windex has an ammonia free version. Mine has purple label. Also, blow them out with air in the strainer. My walnut shells are frankford walnut shells off amazon and they are fine enough they dont pack into primer pockets. Mine are all large rifle pockets though

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Eastern Australia
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    don't use walnut shells and you will not have to pick them out of flash holes.
    use blasting media..fine ground corn cob

    (20 times 5 is 200 min so 3 plus hours..i guess you get that from using the wrong media)
    and 20 times (5 plus 15 for dry) is well over 12 hours your math is not so good.

    how shinny are they after heating in the oven ?

    fresh blasting media is about 1 hour, 2-300 at a time

    and just how much dog hunting do you do with just 20 cases ?
    I use a vibratory turbo tumbler https://www.lymanproducts.com/turbo-1200-pro-tumbler- Walnut shells are the only tumbler media available locally here in the bush. It takes quite a few hours vibrating and walking around the floor to process 100 .223 cases.

    I can ultrasonic clean the same amount in about 30 minutes, hot water rinse, load them on a tray and put them in a warm oven (about 100C) for 15-30 minutes. The low temperature does not seem to affect the cases.

    A wild dog only requires one shot, lucky to nail more than one in a night (a pack may have 4 or 5, but they run into the bush once the pack leader is down) so quite happy to go out with just twenty rounds - the extra's are handy to take out feral cats and a few rabbits to feed the farmer's Kelpie sheep dogs. We have a bounty of $120 on wild dogs in this part of the world btw http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agricu...als/fox-bounty

    * doggie *

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    585
    sorry guy.
    see how much context means...
    in the states a "dog" is most likely a prairie dog, and people take hundreds of rounds and multiple rifles when they go out.
    some people PAY to do it vs a bounty.

    Quote Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
    I use a vibratory turbo tumbler https://www.lymanproducts.com/turbo-1200-pro-tumbler- Walnut shells are the only tumbler media available locally here in the bush. It takes quite a few hours vibrating and walking around the floor to process 100 .223 cases.

    I can ultrasonic clean the same amount in about 30 minutes, hot water rinse, load them on a tray and put them in a warm oven (about 100C) for 15-30 minutes. The low temperature does not seem to affect the cases.

    A wild dog only requires one shot, lucky to nail more than one in a night (a pack may have 4 or 5, but they run into the bush once the pack leader is down) so quite happy to go out with just twenty rounds - the extra's are handy to take out feral cats and a few rabbits to feed the farmer's Kelpie sheep dogs. We have a bounty of $120 on wild dogs in this part of the world btw http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agricu...als/fox-bounty

    * doggie *

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Down By the Cedar River
    Posts
    1,109

    Dog hunter

    Some folks are so ready to criticize and be OBNOXIOUS they don't have time to read and see you are an Aussie and realize what dogs you are shooting. Pay no attention, and have a good one mate......

    Later
    Dave

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    55

    Explain new annealing

    OUT HERE IN GODS HEAVEN NOT MUCH GETS AROUND 40 YRS AGO WAS LAST I DID ANY EXPLAIN BILL BRAWAND

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •