Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Annealing made perfect aztec sort

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coots View Post
    Some folks are so ready to criticize and be OBNOXIOUS they don't have time to read and see you are an Aussie and realize what dogs you are shooting. Pay no attention, and have a good one mate......

Later
    Dave
    Thanks Dave. No offence taken. 'retired' explained exactly how the use of even a simple word (dog) can have such a different meaning in various parts of the world.

Here are the types of dogs that I hunt here in the Australian bush - this brute was a sheep killer and the farmer that owned the property was very greatful that we nailed it. Our national association (SSAA) works with farmers to give a positive aspect to shooting sports https://farmerassist.com.au/

So lets get back to neck annealing as it's use is quite justified to prevent work hardened brass necks from splitting. I found it necessary to neck anneal my .223 cases after 4 reloads btw. Check out the manufacturer's annealing on the type of (ADI) brass that I use http://nzgunsandhunting.co.nz/index....=85&news_id=71.

* doggie *
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Australian Feral Dog  - A sheep killer weighed 40kg - .223 120m.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	22190  

Bill - 40 years ago we heated the necks with a torch and tipped them over into the water. Not very scientific or a very good thing to do with your rifle cases. As you well know, such cases were not a good thing for Benchrest shooting. These days, you can buy an annealing machine that will do it right...every case. Expensive??....yes but if you've got a little cash layin' around that you can spend while still keeping the lights on it's a good buy.

Cool great

thanks a lot a couple x pumps on well

Formula

Quote Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
    I ultrasonic clean my cases in citric acid (lemon juice) solution.

20 times faster than a tumbler (about 5 minutes for a batch of 20 cases) and no need to pick the walnut shells from the primer holes.
    Result, shiny clean cases and my tumbler is now redundant.

Rinse in clean water and put them on a tray into the oven set on dead low for 15 minutes

* doggie *
    what's your formula lemon juice / water?

Thanks,

Pete

I use just a pinch of "Lemi-Shine" (dishwasher additive) with stainless media, probably work about the same in an ultrasonic.

GsT

Cool Cleaning

Small pieces of paper towel in tumbl er helps shine bill b

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    what's your formula lemon juice / water?

Thanks,

Pete
    I use a teaspoon of dry citric acid crystals (from the cake baking section of the local supermarket) in about 1/2 pint of warm water.

If you already own an ultrasonic cleaner it's well worth a try. The results really nicely surprised me.

I justified the purchase by putting SWMBO's rings and jewellery in for a test run and it made her very happy - Used a squirt of dishwashing liquid for that test).

* doggie *

Quote Originally Posted by bbrawand View Post
    Small pieces of paper towel in tumbl er helps shine bill b
    I put a couple patches with rubbing compound in my tumbler. Leaves a shiny finish. Sometimes do paper-towels like you do.

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
    I use a teaspoon of dry citric acid crystals (from the cake baking section of the local supermarket) in about 1/2 pint of warm water.

If you already own an ultrasonic cleaner it's well worth a try. The results really nicely surprised me.

I justified the purchase by putting SWMBO's rings and jewellery in for a test run and it made her very happy - Used a squirt of dishwashing liquid for that test).

* doggie *
    Appreciate it.

Pete