Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes

Changes

Finally got around to making up a new block that will accept the rimfire and the PPC barrels.
    The old block was 6 in. long and had 4 bolts per side.
    The new block is 7.5 in. long and has 5 bolts per side and is bored round to accept different dia. sleeves for the different dia. barrels.
    Also made a new mount that locates the scope off set to the left and slightly higher.
    Shot it today with the rimfire barrel and the results look VERY promising.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1071 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	20616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	1061 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	20617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	1014 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	20618  

Quote Originally Posted by Gene DeLoney View Post
    Finally got around to making up a new block that will accept the rimfire and the PPC barrels.
    The new block is 7.5 in. long and has 5 bolts per side and is bored round to accept different dia. sleeves for the different dia. barrels.
    Also made a new mount that locates the scope off set to the left and slightly higher.
    Gene, is the sleeve black Delrin?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Yes it is.
    1.750 O.D. / .900 I.D. for the rimfire barrel. I was a little worried that the thickness of the Delrin might be a problem but doesn't seem to be an issue on the rimfire maybe because of the light recoil.
    By the way, the sleeve is in 3 pieces each 2.5 in. long for the 7.5 in. long block.

Yes it is.
    1.750 O.D. / .900 I.D. for the rimfire barrel. I was a little worried that the thickness of the Delrin might be a problem but doesn't seem to be an issue on the rimfire maybe because of the light recoil.
    By the way, the sleeve is in 3 pieces each 2.5 in. long for the 7.5 in. long block.

Beautiful machine work Gene. Did you build the rest of it? It rivals Jay Young's work.
    See you in Phoenix.

Gene Beggs

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Beggs View Post
    Beautiful machine work Gene. Did you build the rest of it? It rivals Jay Young's work.
    See you in Phoenix.

Gene Beggs
    The rail was built by Bob Dodd (RFD) some years back. It came with a V block setup.
    I built the bored block and the off set scope mount.
    I have a few more ideas to try out and will post pics of on going changes.....for better or worse!
    Look forward as usual to seeing you next month.
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Guwa View Post
    Really?
    What would be your choice?

Jackie,
    My first choice for material for bushings would be phenolic. Temperature stable.

[QUOTE=Dave Tooley;811790]Jackie,
    My first choice for material for bushings would be phenolic. Temperature stable.[/QUOTE

Dave, We used to work with Phenolic a lot, (Micarta), in the making of water lubricated Rudder Bushings. We don't see it that much any more. The industry has developed other non metallics with better self lubricating qualities.

But I can see where Micarta would be a good choice.

I have a 2.5"X8.5"X48" stick of Micarta and it could be had at a very favorable price. It is green and I think linen.

GUWA, would you expand on your comment?

Quote Originally Posted by gene deloney View Post
    finally got around to making up a new block that will accept the rimfire and the ppc barrels.
    The old block was 6 in. Long and had 4 bolts per side.
    The new block is 7.5 in. Long and has 5 bolts per side and is bored round to accept different dia. Sleeves for the different dia. Barrels.
    Shot it today with the rimfire barrel and the results look very promising.
    i put 2 pieces of flashing on top and bottom of barrel tighten to 40 bbs

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billbrawand View Post
    i put 2 pieces of flashing on top and bottom of barrel tighten to 40 bbs
    shot in ones with fichi and black ely 5 shot groups at 50 yrds

Guwa is a spammer

I've been buying delrin the last couple years that's black. According to my local supplier TAP Plastics all delrin changed from translucent/white to black over night.

Hi Gene,

Although I haven't spent nearly enough time over the last 7 or 8 years trying to get my rail-gun to a competitive level in RFBR like you've attempted, the data I did gather wasn't very promising using a barrel block with several different methods of attachment.

Anyway, on one of my trips a couple of months ago down to Jerry Stiller's shop I decided to bring it along and thought Jerry and I could brainstorm something different to try. We decided an attempt at mounting the action rather than the more common method of attachment would provide enough of a difference to be worth trying. I know this is nothing new, but figured it was worth a shot (pun intended).

Thus far I've only shot it a little bit, but I'm getting better numbers than I had previously and I plan on spending considerable more time with the 15 to 20 barrels I have and various lots of ammo I'll order. This will be a long term project like many others I've done and I primarily structure my shooting around testing/analysis rather than being a competitive shooter.

Thinking this might be of interest to you and maybe a few others, just thought I'd post it and show the modifications we made.

Landy

Jerry isn't scratching his head wondering where to start punching holes. His hand is on the lever moving the bit down. The action block he fabricated is in the foreground.

This is the rail after I got home and did the preliminary testing. It's sitting atop my 2 Ton test bed and ready for action.

This is my ballistic Tunnel I constructed many years ago after I came to the realization there was no information/data available on any forums regarding precision and everything I'm curious about would have to be done by me. This forum is better than most, but the amount of BS is still too high for me to live with and many of the various forums are nearly worthless unless you have the best BS meter in existence and are able to filter the chaff from the background noise.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by huskerp7m8 View Post
    hi gene,

although i haven't spent nearly enough time over the last 7 or 8 years trying to get my rail-gun to a competitive level in rfbr like you've attempted, the data i did gather wasn't very promising using a barrel block with several different methods of attachment.

Anyway, on one of my trips a couple of months ago down to jerry stiller's shop i decided to bring it along and thought jerry and i could brainstorm something different to try. We decided an attempt at mounting the action rather than the more common method of attachment would provide enough of a difference to be worth trying. I know this is nothing new, but figured it was worth a shot (pun intended).

Thus far i've only shot it a little bit, but i'm getting better numbers than i had previously and i plan on spending considerable more time with the 15 to 20 barrels i have and various lots of ammo i'll order. This will be a long term project like many others i've done and i primarily structure my shooting around testing/analysis rather than being a competitive shooter.

Thinking this might be of interest to you and maybe a few others, just thought i'd post it and show the modifications we made.

Landy

jerry isn't scratching his head wondering where to start punching holes. His hand is on the lever moving the bit down. The action block he fabricated is in the foreground.

this is the rail after i got home and did the preliminary testing. It's sitting atop my 2 ton test bed and ready for action.

this is my ballistic tunnel i constructed many years ago after i came to the realization there was no information/data available on any forums regarding precision and everything i'm curious about would have to be done by me. This forum is better than most, but the amount of bs is still too high for me to live with and many of the various forums are nearly worthless unless you have the best bs meter in existence and are able to filter the chaff from the background noise.

just wonder how bullet handels rumble of the tin sides