Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truing action: How much total is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kobe View Post
    Isn't the firing pin fall stopped by the cocking piece when it is stopped by the bolt shroud. The only way to change that is to remove material from the bolt face, the cocking piece or the shroud
    I think the reason for the confusion is that everyone thinks I am talking about firing pin protrusion. I am talking about firing pin fall: the total distance the striker moves when released by the sear. Moving the bolt rearward by removing material from the lugs and abutments reduces the total amount of travel. As I stated several times, it is very unlikely that the amount (2-3 thousandths in most cases) is enough to make any difference. The amount the firing pin protrudes from the bolt face in the un-cocked position is actually increased by the amount removed from the bolt face; also not enough to make any difference.

For the life of me I don't know why I even mentioned it.

For the life of me!

For the life of me I don't know why I even mentioned it.[/QUOTE]

HaHa I love it.

If it makes you feel any better I understood what you were saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kobe View Post
    Isn't the firing pin fall stopped by the cocking piece when it is stopped by the bolt shroud. The only way to change that is to remove material from the bolt face, the cocking piece or the shroud
    The firing pin is not stopped by the cocking piece, but rather the dry fire shoulder near the front of the pin, the front side of the flange that the striker spring rests against the back of. Also the shroud does not stop anything, it merely guides. If the firing pin was incorrectly modified so that the cocking piece did stop the pin, the place it would hit would be at the bottom of the cocking cam notch at the back of the bolt body.

If you lost even 0.005" of firing pin fall it would make no difference to how the rifle shot, now maybe if you lost 0.030" or more it might but thats never going to happen truing bolt lugs and received face unless your doing it with an angle grinder!

The TactiKool/ Mall Ninja Crowd & 1K Bench Rest crowd seem to think firing pin fall has to be 1/4" minimum for consistent ignition of our current 3 legged anvil primers.

To the OP-
    Hopefully you are practicing on your own equipment before you hang a shingle out for services offered/performed.
    Your HS gauge inquire was answered on 6mmBR but you acted otherwise w/ a piece of brass. DUH!!

On the pin fall thing, with small rifle primers and an .062 nominal firing pin diameter, I never had any ignition problems with .200 fall and changed that based on the manufacturer's recommendation to .220 by flipping the trigger hanger. (Viper action) Still no problems. MY life is way too dull. Everything just keeps working. I checked my firing pin for drag and it doesn't.

Dan, duh? Really? I bought the go gauges, just wanted to see the difference. Feel free to avoid me if you canít play nice.