Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Shipyard stories

The next thing will be like here, civil war vets were buried in an old cemetery and they just plowed over it head stones and buried them in low spot and mad a parking lot there. For the national guard no less.... jim

Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by jim1K View Post
    They were getting you ready for war no kid stuff. You had to fight to get your mail, you never got to sit except in class, you never spoke. Hell they broke my finger for not putting the safety on at the rifle range. Believe me the bayonet thing was common place. I hate sand flees and tents.......Remember back then we wore brown shoes, boots had the smooth leather on the inside and you wore out the heels in a week, marching. Now they tell me we had bad water, at Camp Lejeune .... what next? Arlington is full...... jim
    If you still have your Marine Corps brown shoes I have two cans of polish.....I can send you one. I remember when we had to switch to black as a cost cutting measure. How about throwing out perfectly good boondockers when you didn't always have to blouse your boots? This stuff was so petty and it pissed off alot of people.The taxpayers were getting screwed as usual......and this was peacetime.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 07-27-2018 at 06:03 PM.

[QUOTE=brickeyee;811707]And Arlington Country that borders the cemetery is resisting the Government purchasing land to further expand the cemetery.
    Between the GW Parkway (already Federal land that HAS no available land even for expansion in many places) the Cemetery is pretty surrounded.

Federal ownership removes it from the property tax rolls of an extremely Liberal profligate spending county.

Actual Property taxes have NEVER been lowered even once in Arlington County.

They have lowered the RATE numerous times.
    But only after annual assessments have increased.
    And they NEVER lower the rate by as much as the assessments increase.

Assessments up 4%? Rate down 3%. Net 1% increase in TAXES.
    The pols then point out that no one shows up at the required public hearing asking for less money to be spent.

The different county departments are always asking for more money to get the the job done, even if it means more debt. They are never accountable for how they spent the money and people won't go to public meetings to find out.

Bump for Mort

Mort, it hasn't been deleted. I've enjoyed it. Keep it coming guys!
    Keith

Way back when

Back in the 70ís the ship I was on finally went in the yards for a long overdue overhaul. I worked in what was considered an engineering rate (machinist mate) and was qualified in many areas... regardless I was assigned to order nuts and bolts. Did they give us a bill of material and say order this? Not only no but hell no. They gave us, for lack of a better term, catalogs about a foot thick and said order what you think we need. REALLY?
    By this time I had a pretty bad attitude given how we were being treated. I ordered monel aircraft bolts. Inch and a half foot long brass studs. Etc. When it was all said and done there was a forty foot semi trailer with leftover threaded items. The leftovers were going to be left with the shipyard to deal with. Someone got in the trailer and cleaned out all the metal of scrap value. Iím told they got enough money to have a departmental party.

Shipyard Stories

Hey guys, I really appreciate your interest in the Shipyard thread but I was pretty much burned out with it and more than willing to let it die.

This is Wilbur's site and he is the man. If he wants it gone it's gone. I am thinking about starting a thread about your experience in the military. Good, bad or otherwise. On this thread I found out that Wilbur was a cook in Vietnam and Jackie made Spec. 5 in two years along with getting a security clearance. I'm sure there are other interesting stories out there we just need a place for it and it is not here.

Thank you,

Mort

A former EM Chief teaching school had a good story. The FBI visited the ship twice. Sub Tender, I think.
    First was for a 4 door car/limo Admiral stuff. It showed up on the pier. 2 weeks later the FBI showed up...Maybe NCIS...long time ago....
    Next was for an Sidewinder missile. FBI was there 5 days later. No missile.
    Supply signed off on the chits. They got ordered....prolly because it was a sub tender. Nukes got the money first.
    Anyways. These guys would just make up NSN numbers...this went on for 6 mos....maybe...till the 2nd FBI visit.....all an honest mistake/typo...

Oh,
    Sorry Wilbur and Mort.....

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Yeah, well, I made Sergeant E5 in two years over there and didn't get my good conduct medal
    What's with that?
    I thought you had to have 3 years of service to be eligible.....no?

Just how long do you expect me to be good?
    Nah, at that time I was of the opinion that it took only two years. Apparently not. I did get expert in everything I shot. Does that count for something besides a medal? No pay?
    You don't have to be good, you just have to be lucky. I had to stand in front of the CO 3 times but it never went in my record book.....so I got one by default.

What were you shooting?

Yeah, well, I made Sergeant E5 in two years over there and didn't get my good conduct medal
    What's with that?
    Francis. When I signed off my ship. The PN1 said no medal ceremonies for a couple weeks. Oh, and they ran out of Good Conduct Medals(also Expeditionary Medal, 2nd Sea Service, 2nd Battle "E"). I was passed due. By 9 mos......Sometimes you can git your medals.....
    Well, I made a comment "that's good. I can travel to Texas and visit family." That was Tuesday. Left for Texas on Wed. Got back to San Diego on Sunday. Awards Ceremony on the previous Friday.
    My friends told me the Capt., XO, and Chief Engineer were hunting me down...they were still trying to get me to re-enlist...and give me my medals. Made sure the Command knew about that a**hole PN1. Heard he was forced to retire as an E6. CO and Command were not really happy with him.....
    Last edited by zippy06; 12-06-2018 at 09:19 PM.

We were shooting the M14 then, Mort.

Zipper, you have to make the best of your opportunities when they come along. When going through the clearing procedures, you have to clear the motor pool, library, supply, and recruiting, among others. In clearing the recruiting office the Major said, "Wow, E-5 and under two years, I can guarantee you E-6". I asked if he could guarantee I wouldn't make E-1 again. You know the answer to that so I told him I wouldn't re-enlist for his rank. I was then told I had an attitude.
    Francis, I'm was also an E-5 under two. I first made Spec-5, but was running the entire Commo Department, so they cut orders and stuck three stripes on my arm.

When I got ready to ETS out, they gave me about the same thing they offered you. "Six for Six". You take 6 years, get a bump in grade to E-6, and a $6000 reenlistment bonus. The E-6 would have to be deferred untill I had 48 months in.

I had to remind them that I was a Draftee, proud of that US before my service number, and they could stick it where the sun did not shine.

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Hey guys, I really appreciate your interest in the Shipyard thread but I was pretty much burned out with it and more than willing to let it die.

This is Wilbur's site and he is the man. If he wants it gone it's gone. I am thinking about starting a thread about your experience in the military. Good, bad or otherwise. On this thread I found out that Wilbur was a cook in Vietnam and Jackie made Spec. 5 in two years along with getting a security clearance. I'm sure there are other interesting stories out there we just need a place for it and it is not here.

Thank you,

Mort
    I guess we are back in business....we will see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy06 View Post
    Francis. When I signed off my ship. The PN1 said no medal ceremonies for a couple weeks. Oh, and they ran out of Good Conduct Medals(also Expeditionary Medal, 2nd Sea Service, 2nd Battle "E"). I was passed due. By 9 mos......Sometimes you can git your medals.....
    Well, I made a comment "that's good. I can travel to Texas and visit family." That was Tuesday. Left for Texas on Wed. Got back to San Diego on Sunday. Awards Ceremony on the previous Friday.
    My friends told me the Capt., XO, and Chief Engineer were hunting me down...they were still trying to get me to re-enlist...and give me my medals. Made sure the Command knew about that a**hole PN1. Heard he was forced to retire as an E6. CO and Command were not really happy with him.....
    Tim
    Did you ever get your service awards ?

We were shooting the M14 then, Mort.

Zipper, you have to make the best of your opportunities when they come along. When going through the clearing procedures, you have to clear the motor pool, library, supply, and recruiting, among others. In clearing the recruiting office the Major said, "Wow, E-5 and under two years, I can guarantee you E-6". I asked if he could guarantee I wouldn't make E-1 again. You know the answer to that so I told him I wouldn't re-enlist for his rank. I was then told I had an attitude.
    Francis. I did make the best of my opportunities. And I retired at 53. And am enjoying it. No matter the cost.
    I shoot 2 to 4 days a week.....in the summer, I help get plates going at Monroe RPC and then drive up to WW to shoot bowling pins or plates.
    And occasionally run a Score match.
    Tim B.