Thread: Flat base bullets a disadvantage @ 300yds?

Flat base bullets a disadvantage @ 300yds?

I just started shooting F-class midrange with the only scoped accurate rifle I own, a 222 Rem model 700. I'm trying to work up it's magic load to compete with, and being that it has a 1:14 twist, I'm limiting my bullets to 52 grains, and most are FB bullets. My question is: at 300 yds does a boat tail pose any advantages, or is this still within the FB bullet's turf? Thanks!

Depends how much it blows where you shoot at. In theory, the 52 FB should still be able to chew up the X-ring @ 300yds. In practice... if you miss a wind call by even a little, its not gonna be pretty. The good news is that many 300yd ranges are pretty well protected. Go out and give it a try!

I have a home range (200 yds) and always wait for dead calm to test my Sinclair built Remington 222 with grouping around 3/8 to 1/2 @ 200, but every time I bring it to a local small club shoot it really falls apart in the real world conditions so I wind up shooting my 6ppc instead. I have tried flat base and boat tail with a slight advantage with boat tails at 200-300 yds. I have a soft spot of wanting one of my 222's to be able to cut it in real world conditions but I'm about ready to face reality and throw in the towel.

Quote Originally Posted by bluechip View Post
    I have a home range (200 yds) and always wait for dead calm to test my Sinclair built Remington 222 with grouping around 3/8 to 1/2 @ 200, but every time I bring it to a local small club shoot it really falls apart in the real world conditions so I wind up shooting my 6ppc instead. I have tried flat base and boat tail with a slight advantage with boat tails at 200-300 yds. I have a soft spot of wanting one of my 222's to be able to cut it in real world conditions but I'm about ready to face reality and throw in the towel.
    Even if I doubled the size of your groups in competition, I would be ecstatic! Lol

If you are shooting over flags, the most accurate (precision) load will be better out to 300 yards.
    there simply is not enough BC advantage of a BT at the same weight at that short of a distance.

In Disciplines where a true flag set is not allowed, or is not practicle, then in theory the higher BC bullet will have an advantage.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 09-15-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    If you are shooting over flags, the most accurate (precision) load will be better out to 300 yards.
    there simply is not enough BC advantage of a BT at the same weight at that short of a distance.

In Disciplines where a true flag set is not allowed, or is not practicle, then in theory the higher BC bullet will have an advantage.
    I have been seeing the same thing. I have found by using a Labradar that the nose of the bullet (ogive) makes a bigger difference than a BT. Going from a 7 ogive to a 9 ogive in short range BR can shrink an agg by .020" with a 1 mph change in cross wind. The boat tail did about 1/4 as much as the nose of the bullet.

Shooting the most accurate load can shrink an agg by over .1", so like Jackie said, always shoot the most accurate load. If the high BC bullets shoot the best, then by all means, shoot them.

With that said, your not lacking in BC as much as horsepower. A 6mm BR would buck the wind better.

Michael
    Last edited by mturner; 09-18-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Red face Flatbase is Fine

Quote Originally Posted by fatelvis111 View Post
    I just started shooting F-class midrange with the only scoped accurate rifle I own, a 222 Rem model 700. I'm trying to work up it's magic load to compete with, and being that it has a 1:14 twist, I'm limiting my bullets to 52 grains, and most are FB bullets. My question is: at 300 yds does a boat tail pose any advantages, or is this still within the FB bullet's turf? Thanks!
    I shoot matches out to and including 500 yd with a 6PPC and only shoot 68gr flatbase bullets. I have done well with that combination even though 20yrs ago when fiirst showed up at 500 yd matches they told me I might as well go home. Ha HA, I still laugh when I beat those guys. Shoot what the gun likes, I started with FB and have always done well with them.