Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: New Range At KettleFoot

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Singleton View Post
    Steve Lee is our nbrsa southeast regional director
    I'm sure he would love to talk with you.

    http://benchrest.com/member.php?1316-Steve-Lee
    Thanks Tim, i will do that

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,182
    I am a member of Kettlefoot and a stockholder in the co that owns the physical facility. I also own property that joines the club. Saying that, I don't know where a site would be to build a 500 yard range.

    About 6 years ago we redid the existing centerfire range and expanded it to 30 enches, some $85,000, with the hopes of going back to registered centerfire benchrest. Claude Smith was to run the matches. Sadly Claude passed away last year. The Johnson City club Unaka closed their range to us last year. In 1999 Unaka had some 64 shooters for NBRSA . Last 2016 shoot at Unaka we had 13 shooters.

    after the Unaka closing I took the Unaka crew to Kettlefoot in hopes of them running that facility. Didn't go. If you will look on my Facebook page the Unaka measuring tools are for sale.

    We, Kettlefoot, do have a new, great 60 bench range fo rimfire where the PSL, ARA, and IR 50/50 shoot the Triple Crown annually.

    If you are willing to run the centerfire at Kettlefoot their management are open to talks.

    .

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,182
    USMCDOC, are you a USMC Doc? I ask because a good friend of mine, Jamie Goodman MD, recently sold his farm that is on the next ridge Over from Kettlefoot, and took a job at the VA Hospital in Greeneville, SC.

    .

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    In 1999 Unaka had some 64 shooters for NBRSA. Last 2016 shoot at Unaka we had 13 shooters.
    Regarding the decline in shooter numbers -- that seems to be systemic and I wonder what's behind it. I believe more folks have drifted away than have died.

    Regarding the clamor for more clubs to hold matches, there are plenty of clubs that hold non-registered matches; however, AFAIK, the attendance is rather dismal. (We had only 10 shooters at River Bend yesterday.) I have difficulty understanding why registered matches are more popular than non-registered matches. Yes, a registered group match typically gives you more shots for your miles; however, they require more time and money to participate.


    Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    If you will look on my Facebook page the Unaka measuring tools are for sale.
    I can't find your Facebook page -- can you post the Unaka stuff here?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Regarding the decline in shooter numbers -- that seems to be systemic and I wonder what's behind it. I believe more folks have drifted away than have died.

    Regarding the clamor for more clubs to hold matches, there are plenty of clubs that hold non-registered matches; however, AFAIK, the attendance is rather dismal. (We had only 10 shooters at River Bend yesterday.) I have difficulty understanding why registered matches are more popular than non-registered matches. Yes, a registered group match typically gives you more shots for your miles; however, they require more time and money to participate.




    I can't find your Facebook page -- can you post the Unaka stuff here?
    Facebook jerry Dennis sharrett

    Since about 1963 I have shot in some sanctioned events. Bullseye/2700, metallic shilouette, trap, sporting clays and now this. All them seem to be cyclic. I'm at Holton now (IBS 100/200 group nats) the average age of the shooters here about 65.

    .

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    White Marsh Swamp, Whiteville N. C.
    Posts
    515

    Thumbs up Kettlefeets

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    Kettlefoot was once THE MATCH TO ATTEND. Claude Smith was the range master and 80+ folks showed up...back when 80+ folks were a possibility.
    My favorite match,, no parking when the 80 shooters were there, but Claude Smith ran a great match (always) I have driven from eastern NC several times, meet Wilbur, shoot & pracice a little, eat a lot and have a great time. I truly hope it comes back. I also agree w/Tim on Nbrsa or IBS

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    I am a member of Kettlefoot and a stockholder in the co that owns the physical facility. I also own property that joines the club. Saying that, I don't know where a site would be to build a 500 yard range.

    About 6 years ago we redid the existing centerfire range and expanded it to 30 enches, some $85,000, with the hopes of going back to registered centerfire benchrest. Claude Smith was to run the matches. Sadly Claude passed away last year. The Johnson City club Unaka closed their range to us last year. In 1999 Unaka had some 64 shooters for NBRSA . Last 2016 shoot at Unaka we had 13 shooters.


    If you are willing to run the centerfire at Kettlefoot their management are open to talks.

    .
    I am going by with what Wayne has mentioned.. this is the word.. i will see Wayne again on tues and have further discussions with him..

    I noticed that the NRA National Long Range Championships only had 115 shooters this year.. So many shooting sports are loosing participation.. do you think that part of it is because the long period of hoarding and people not being able to get the stuff they needed.. and hence.. just quit..

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,182
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCDOC View Post
    I am going by with what Wayne has mentioned.. this is the word.. i will see Wayne again on tues and have further discussions with him..

    I noticed that the NRA National Long Range Championships only had 115 shooters this year.. So many shooting sports are loosing participation.. do you think that part of it is because the long period of hoarding and people not being able to get the stuff they needed.. and hence.. just quit..
    Interesting. I've hunted that little valley since the 1950's when the Kettlefoot club was in Tennessee and I can't remember where there is a suitable location for a 500 yard range. The existing centerfire range has one narrow range to about 295 yards then almost straight up. I'd like to meet with you and Wayne. I'll be back in town from the IBS Nationals August 21-22.

    We've had about 15 cancellations here at this shoot. The bigger problem in organized/sanctioned shooting of any type, centerfire, rimfire, score, group, any claybird games, handgun games, etc., is finding voulinteers to conduct these type of events. Match directing is a thankless undertaking. Without organizations activities at gun clubs they are simply a bunch of plinkers and the folks who show up in the Fall to check their hunting guns.

    The Kettlefoot club does have sanctioned rimfire that only takes 50 meters, and it has several bays for action pistol which takes 25 yards, but where to put a 500 yard range in Dickey Valley?

    As an aside this Charlottesville weekend poses an interesting situation. The Fake News media is putting a sinister spin on it. All I have here in Michigan at this gun club is broadcast media which is determined to destroy Christian America....sad!.,

    .

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    20
    Meeting with you be fine.. will you be at the house or at the park?

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,182
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCDOC View Post
    Meeting with you be fine.. will you be at the house or at the park?
    Sent you a PM

    .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •