Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eureka......I Think I Found It!!

Bad Barrels

Quote Originally Posted by mturner View Post
    I had a 30 caliber Kreiger barrel that I chambered up and it wouldn't shoot under .3" with any load I tried. Before I chambered it, I noticed some out-of-roundness in the grooves with my dial indicator. I called Kreiger, and they asked me to return the barrel. They replaced the barrel, and the new barrel shot fine.

Still being bothered about loosing several hours of fitting and chambering time, and paying return shipping, I called them and asked for the old barrel back. I told them it should at least make a good hunting barrel. They agreed to send it back. About a year later I cut the chamber off and chucked the barrel up in the lathe. With the 2" removed, it indicated real nice. I decided to cut a new match chamber in it and try it on the bench gun again. It responded with an .082" group during a Raton match.

Michael
    Yup.......... same old story......... we all should look at barrels carefully with bore scope before cutting......... maybe even slugging........ usually there is a reason why a barrel won`t perform..........and most of the time the maker will stand behind his product and replace.... hopefully before chambering and threading and crowning......
    bill
    Last edited by bill larson; 07-25-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Bill, I can't really say that I have ever had a bad Krieger. Granted, some don't shoot quite as well as others, but that is as much of a reflection on my load combination as anything. If a barrel will not shoot my load, I'm not going to spend a lot of Range Time hoping it will shoot something else.

I am very pleased with this 7mm barrel now. I think it shoots about as well as you could ask a Rifle like this to shoot. It will put 5 shots inside of .350 at 200 yards, and 5 shots inside 1 1/2 inches at 600. And that's with. 180 grn bullet and darned near 2850 fps.

That will get the job done in the Format in which I initially built this Rifle to compete.

Bad Barrels......

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Bill, I can't really say that I have ever had a bad Krieger. Granted, some don't shoot quite as well as others, but that is as much of a reflection on my load combination as anything. If a barrel will not shoot my load, I'm not going to spend a lot of Range Time hoping it will shoot something else.

I am very pleased with this 7mm barrel now. I think it shoots about as well as you could ask a Rifle like this to shoot. It will put 5 shots inside of .350 at 200 yards, and 5 shots inside 1 1/2 inches at 600. And that's with. 180 grn bullet and darned near 2850 fps.

That will get the job done in the Format in which I initially built this Rifle to compete.

Jackie........ now that you have had a bad barrel.....as most of us have.... it may be worth a careful inspection before time,effort and component exspense is exhausted...... esp. if building as you say to compete.........
    bill

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Reisdorff View Post
    Was the chamber end were the out of round was located?

JR
    It was the chamber end. My guess was that it wouldn't shoot before I ever cut the chamber, but a lot of times a barrel manufacturer will just say "go ahead and try it, you just might be surprised". The out-of-roundness was .0005" on two adjacent grooves. Had they been opposing grooves, I believe it would have shot fine, but being next to each other, they caused the bullet to be deformed in an out-of-balance manner.

Michael

Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post

I'm sure the gun is either too heavy for the VFS game, or won't meet the rules for some reason. But if it would meet the rules, it just shows you how a 180gr bullet at 2850 fps would make an incredible and hard to beat short range score gun. Even though the 30BR is incredibly accurate, the wind can kick it pretty hard. Your new rifle kicks the wind back.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mturner View Post
    I'm sure the gun is either too heavy for the VFS game, or won't meet the rules for some reason. But if it would meet the rules, it just shows you how a 180gr bullet at 2850 fps would make an incredible and hard to beat short range score gun. Even though the 30BR is incredibly accurate, the wind can kick it pretty hard. Your new rifle kicks the wind back.

Michael
    Mike, without the weight system, it is a legal 17 pound NBRSA 600-1000 yard Light Gun.

But you gotta believe me. At 100-200 yards, shooting over flags, my 30 BR will kick it's butt.

Jackie, any rifle that will shoot .350's consistently at 200 will win the 100-200 yard Nationals most of the time.....

Just yanking your chain, lol.... Miss seeing you guys..

I found it?

Eureka, I found it! Jackie, are you talking about the car keys or Obama's birth certificate? Tim

Quote Originally Posted by CYanchycki View Post
    "For someone without my resources, I'm not sure there is an answer."

The reason I took a long hard look at this sport and have decided to step away from trying to be serious/competitive in the game.

My new Yamaha Cruiser is by far cheaper to run. Just put fuel in and turn the key and go. No practice needed or expensive barrels, bullets, or powder.

Glad you were able to solve the mystery of the 7mm that just would not shoot.

Calvin
    The engine(s) will eventually need rebuilding.

I know a pilot with a two engine plane.

He figures engine wear is at least $200 hour.

The FAA has strict rules on rebuild hours.

I think his are at about 4,000 hours for a complete tear-down and rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
    The engine(s) will eventually need rebuilding.

I know a pilot with a two engine plane.

He figures engine wear is at least $200 hour.

I think his are at about 4,000 hours for a complete tear-down and rebuild.
    Are you saying the cost of engine wear is $200/hr? Let's see, $200 x 4,000 = $800,00. Sounds high, but I really don't know.

Obama's birth cert

everyone has seen the legit one, you know, the one provided by the democratically controlled Hawaii governors office!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Are you saying the cost of engine wear is $200/hr? Let's see, $200 x 4,000 = $800,00. Sounds high, but I really don't know.
    With engine wear and rebuild, along with all the attached systems $200 per hour is about right for a twin engine plane for operation.