Thread: Tension/Compression barrels, water-cooled, etc

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tension/Compression barrels, water-cooled, etc

For yall that have messed around with tension or compression barrel setups, along with water cooled, did they show promise? Would you say that they have the ability to shoot better than the barrel could have naked with some load tuning?

Quote Originally Posted by jbhotrod View Post
    For yall that have messed around with tension or compression barrel setups, along with water cooled, did they show promise? Would you say that they have the ability to shoot better than the barrel could have naked with some load tuning?
    I never messed with a water cooled barrel, but did build a tensioned barrel for my Rail Gun.

It was a lot of work for no appreciable gain.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhotrod View Post
    Not exactly what you're asking about, I'm sure...but, I wrapped .080(IIRC) thick heat shrink tubing on the full length of a barrel once. That barrel could not be made to shoot until I cut it off. Didn't matter if I tuned by powder charge/type or the tuner. It just would not shoot with that on there.

Like I said, it's probably not specifically what you're asking about but I still found it interesting. --Mike
    Last edited by mwezell; 05-19-2017 at 09:58 PM.

heat shrink

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    Not exactly what you're asking about, I'm sure...but, I tried .080(IIRC) thick heat shrink tubing on a barrel once. That barrel could not be made to shoot until I cut it off. Didn't matter if I tuned by powder charge/type or the tuner. It just would not shoot with that on there.

Like I said, it's probably not specifically what you're asking about but I still found it interesting. --Mike
    very interesting thanks for posting

No doubt Mr Ezell, any seemingly wacky crazy experiments with stretching, compressing, cooling, or any sort of tube or wrapping your barrel with something are welcome. Im just curious to see what all people have done, and what they learned from it.

Do yall think Mr Pendergrafts water cooled setup shot the way it did due to his tension/cooled setup, or could the same thing have been acclompished regardless of the tension being there and it was more a testament to good barrel + good bullets/load?

Also, slightly off topic, do yall think theres any advantage to a slightly tapered bore, or bit of a choke at the muzzle like they do with the Anschutz and other rimfires? Ive heard most all Mullerworks barrels are this way.
    Last edited by jbhotrod; 05-20-2017 at 12:33 AM.

tension Compression barrels water cooled etc

I remember SKIP OTTO having a water jacket on his rai gun.
    He did very well with it.
    since his passing someone has bought that rig, Maybe he will chime in about it.

Taper in barrels

Easy way to test taper in barrels, if you have the capability is to obtain a hammer forged barrel, lap it, then reduce the diameter at the muzzle end, if you want a gradual reduction/choke in the interior, reduce the diameter along a taper.

The stresses resultant from hammer forging will cause a reduction in internal diameter.

There are a series of interesting article by Vernon Briggs, James Higley and Brian Vuksanovich entitled "Experiments with Hammer Forged Barrels", link to the second series provided,
    "http://www.learningace.com/doc/2610877/b7eec6600a88a9be733a3c57b884a2e2/experiments-with-hammer-forged-barrels-on-ar-15s-part-ii"

It appears Vernon Briggs is responsible for overseeing the hammer forging process at Ruger for their barrels, while the latter two are gun loving college professors!

Also interesting is there is a tuner mounted on the end of the barrel in photos!

The series of articles are an interesting read on the process. To note in their accuracy testing, they lap the barrels. The series of articles can also be found in copies of Precision Shooting Magazine over a period of years.

Link to 1st article: https://www.scribd.com/doc/117177767...Forged-Barrels

Other articles:

https://www.scribd.com/document/1171...arrelsonAR-15s
    Last edited by papadetail; 05-20-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added more links

I think the only thing anybody has learned has been that if it won't shoot well enough to win....get another one. Sure, folks have won matches by doing something "different" with their rifles but it's the exception rather than the rule. I suppose what I'm trying to say here is that it costs a lot of money, more money, to do it differently than the standard rifle and it's money not well spent in the long run. Any rifle that costs more to rebarrel, or is more difficult, than the "standard" rifle is just that...more expensive or more difficult. Again, some of the "different" rifles shoot quite well but so do some of the "run of the mill" rifles.

Nobody has found the Holy Grail. I get the impression that folks are close to that little "something" that makes a rifle shoot very well but we're dealing with so many variables it may be lost in the noise. What I learned in the years I spent shooting groups is that if you have a good shooting rifle DO NOT MESS WITH IT. Get a new barrel and if that one won't shoot, get another one but do not fix on the rifle itself just because you can.

And....NO...it's not the competitor...it's the rifle. There's basically two kinds of "losses" at a given match One is where the guy shot a bad condition and the other is the guy that was beat before he left home.

Thanks for replying yall. How about barrel length? Say you took the best shooting rifle/barrel/scope ya ever had, do you think it would shoot worse if the barrel was the same in every way except for being longer? And I aint talking about shooting worse due to sketchy tracking and balance. Specifically the barrel's mechanical accuracy, would it be worse at say 26-28"?