Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sako 6ppc V133 question..

Nothing negative Doug...

Doug Casner - no offense taken!

I'm totally not expecting it to shoot with a tight neck gun at all. But.. they do have a great reputation for shooting good. I'm thinking with some good reloads it should be somewhere in the .3-.5 pretty consistently. I'm putting together the first loads for it this weekend. Gonna break the barrel in and get it on paper. Once I get 20-30 rounds down it and its cleaning up decent, I'll start working on something a little more exact.

Have a good weekend.

And yes, if he is to get within a 1/4 mile, he's going to be dead!
    Last edited by kolineman; 03-10-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Sako 6 ppc

I had two in the late 80's and a 22 ppc also.

I shot H322 and a 68g berger.

Today, if I was shooting that rifle, I would start out with a Sierra 70g blitz king with LT32, H322, or N133.

Your rifle is worth a lot of money....you should think about that issue....others have brought up the reasons why.

Worth a lot of money??

Ok, you avoid shooting it so it retains it's "value". Then, you sell it. You then spend the money, looking for another "value" that you will be scared to use in it's intended purpose because you are afraid you will hurt it's "value".

Gee. Sounds like fun. Sign me up.

This is a line of thinking that is propagated by the crowd that can tell you the price of everything, but realize the value of nothing.

Much like the "collector car" crowd. You buy a car, and keep it in a garage or warehouse so nothing can hurt it's "value". People come and look at it, and marvel at it's "value". When the time is right, you sell it to someone else who will then keep it in a garage or warehouse until he finds someone else to buy it, and so on, and so on.

God forbid someone actually drive it. That might hurt it's "value".

The value in that Rifle is the memories you will have going to the Range, finding the combinations it likes, possibly garnering a few "bragging rights", and taking pride in allowing it to achieve it's full potential.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 03-12-2017 at 01:30 PM.

It is valuable...

Yes, the gun is valuable, but I'm wanting to work up some loads for it nevertheless. Like I stated earlier, it will never see anything but sandbags...I'm excited to see how she performs.

use em

Ive got an old mk. 5 weatherby in .257 I got when I was about 18. Its got some dings in it it looks like its been used but I didn't buy it to resell. Ive got a lot of memories with that old rifle. Deer,antelope,coyotes. I even shoot my old pre 64 Winchesters. Doug

I think there may have been a misunderstanding in a couple of posts regarding value, cost etc. Frequently on the board we get folks who have something and don't have a clue what it's worth. The OP had only 13 posts when this thread was started. Early on, I thought it was possible he didn't know what he had. This rifle is much sought after by shooters who wish to compete in Factory Class. Once the barrel is worn out you can't have it rebarreled and retain the Factory Classification. Obviously, the OP knows what he has and wants to use it as it was intended. That's great. I share his POV and I'm sure he will get a lot of enjoyment from it. I don't have safe queens and have owned a number of Cooper's that a lot of folks would have felt were too "pretty" to take to a dog town. There is no need to get into a debate about value. Most of us understand that concept.

Rick

If you are worried about value

1. sell it to a collector who will look at it on the wall
    2. Put a new aftermarket barrel on it and shoot the heck out of it, retaining the original barrel it you decide to sell it down the road.
    3. Shoot it as is, and just don't worry about a thing.

A barrel is a consumable in the shooting game. The real value, IMO, is in the finely made action, trigger, bedding and stock. I have a L461 Vixen in 6PPC, bought used. The barrel has some light fire cracking ahead of the chamber. Still shoots well. I put about 100 rounds through it a year. Should last 20 years, not sure I will. Have fun with yours, one way or another. Nothing wrong with deciding to make a great rifle a safe queen imo.
    Last edited by glp; 03-16-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Thank you all...

Thanks for all the comments on the rifle, especially the ones pertaining to the starting loads to work with...As I get it broke in, I will be sure to show some pics of its accuracy.

you might check your twist My single shot was great when it was warm but when it got cold 1-2" groups started showing up. I was really confused until an old timer clued me in on the problem. My twist was more like 1x15.25". It would shoot .1" most days with bergers and v133.

Update...

After doing some barrel break in and cleaning, I finally have shot my first group at 100 yds...measured .379" . 65 grain Vmax and N-133, 26 grs for now. .010 from jam fit, no signs of pressure. Looks to be a shooter for sure....more updates and pics to come.

Thank you all for your advice.

I would

second what Tim said and would suggest you try 28-28.5 H322 also. Shoots very well in my Sako L461 Vixen 6 PPC.

Those are fine shooting and very fine looking rifles. Anyone know what twist rate and who made the barrels for sako on these rifles?? WD

My Vixen

Quote Originally Posted by WyleWD View Post
    Those are fine shooting and very fine looking rifles. Anyone know what twist rate and who made the barrels for sako on these rifles?? WD
    has a heavy taper 1-14" twist barrel. I believe Sako made them but not 100% on that component.

Pics..

Image 4781 is of the Sako 6ppc group. Not bad for cleaning between each shot. Got 5 rounds down the tube, will start shooting some 3 and 5 shot groups then cleaning for 5-10 groups and see how the barrel is cleaning up.

Image 4615 is of my Tikka T3 Super Varmint in 22-250...needless to say its already where I need it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4781.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	19305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4615.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	19306