Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holding the reamer with a pusher

Holding the reamer with a pusher

How are most holding the reamer when using a pusher like Mike Bryantís style? Seems to me that
    if not equal holding pressure is used on both sides of the reamer one would be forcing the reamer to cut over sized chambers with the lift of just holding one side. Like when holding the Bald Eagle. I really donít know just asking.
    Chet

ptg floating reamer holder

Quote Originally Posted by CMaier View Post
    ptg floating reamer holder
    Thanks CMaier and I have the PTG holder and use it but my question is still about using the pusher style.

Chet

Someone explain to me how the PTG reamer holder or any others prevent the reamer from spinning? I'll bet in actual use there is a single contact point to prevent rotation and it's not on the center line of the reamer.

Has anyone ever applied side pressure by hand to a fully engaged reamer to see how much pressure is required to make it cut? Might surprise you.

Some will know the answer to this. How would measure the change in diameter of a chamber if you changed the way you hold a reamer? Assuming you used the same reamer in the same barrel with the same chambering process.

I have many sets of resize and finish reamers with only .0030" difference in size. Each and every set has worked perfectly. Just lucky I guess.

DAVE,
    i do not know the answer to your question,
    but my chambers are cut well and shoot well.
    luckie me.

DAVE,
    i do not know the answer to your question,
    but my chambers are cut well and shoot well.
    luckie me.
    Amazing isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by coyotechet View Post
    Thanks CMaier and I have the PTG holder and use it but my question is still about using the pusher style.

Chet
    Have you had a problem with your PT&G reamer holder?

Like CMaier, I have one and it does just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tooley View Post
    Amazing isn't it?
    Yeah! We learn something every day. You probably chamber more in a day than most chamber in a year or "lifetime".

i would guess he does more in a month than i will do in my life time.
    that does not mean i do not produce quality chambers,
    and i have no doubt that he does as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Yeah! We learn something every day. You probably chamber more in a day than most chamber in a year or "lifetime".

i would guess he does more in a month than i will do in my life time.
    that does not mean i do not produce quality chambers,
    and i have no doubt that he does as well.
    Sir, I would not pass judgement on your chamber jobs as I have not checked one, Just don't sell Dave short.

Has anyone ever applied side pressure by hand to a fully engaged reamer to see how much pressure is required to make it cut? Might surprise you.
    I've not done this. Would it take less pressure than one would assume?

Quote Originally Posted by parshal View Post
    I've not done this. Would it take less pressure than one would assume?
    More, much more.

Someone explain to me how the PTG reamer holder or any others prevent the reamer from spinning? I'll bet in actual use there is a single contact point to prevent rotation and it's not on the center line of the reamer.

Some will know the answer to this. How would measure the change in diameter of a chamber if you changed the way you hold a reamer? Assuming you used the same reamer in the same barrel with the same chambering process.

I have many sets of resize and finish reamers with only .0030" difference in size. Each and every set has worked perfectly. Just lucky I guess.
    Dave, it amazes me on how such a simple task as driving a chamber reamer can be turned into a much complicated task. For decades I have used your floating pusher design without any complications!!

GEESH!!

Thanks to all who replied . I have found that asking a question first and getting honest stright forward answers can save a lot of trial error.
    Chet

Quote Originally Posted by coyotechet View Post
    Seems to me that if not equal holding pressure is used on both sides of the reamer one would be forcing the reamer to cut over sized chambers with the lift of just holding one side.
    Chet
    Practically, seems not, but theoretically, yes. Check out Alex Wheeler's system, it is nice idea. You still have to be conscious of how you grip the disk to avoid one-sided force on the reamer, but it largely addresses the issue you point out. And it is safer, since you don't have a handle swinging around that could smash fingers, or worse. Note that the weight of the holder also creates a downward force on the end of the reamer, so a lightweight system is better. (Sorry, had to say it. It must be winter. )