Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My new benchrest rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by vtmarmot View Post
    That's pretty scary! Glad they got her some fluids. It's a reminder how fast things can go off the rails health-wise and how we have to be more vigilant the older we get.
    Really scary if you consider that she lost nearly 20% of her body weight. Thank God she started to look better just a few hours after they hooked her up to the drip. She's much, much better now, home and things are returning to normal which means she has plenty of time to patiently explain to me the error of my ways... she's pretty articulate at doing this.

Anyway, I had no time to mess around with the gun or anything else for a while and the results were a complete disaster shooting wise. We used to have ten matches a year in Harrison and I have gone a whole season without dropping a point a few times.

I know a fellow who once worked at Unertl and he has been giving me a few pointers re: making sure the scope is good. Before I show up at a match again I will do whatever it takes to make sure the scope is good. I remain convinced that the gun is capable of being competitive in Factory Class. I hope I'm successful with this scope because I really don't want to buy another one. You know what Unertls sell for nowadays?

Unertls are THE classic scope

I have felt the pull many times, but haven't got there yet. A classic single shot with a Unertl was the iconic rifle I lusted after in my youth. I can certainly understand why you went that route. One would have to drop into my lap complete, because I don't have the stamina or funds to assemble it from components.

You and me both. I sold my last benchrest rifle and used the dollars to finance this project. I just can't get around enough to be serious about BR anymore. I found the Unertl at a gunshow at a very good price. Then I got a good deal on the Ruger action. The rest is documented in this thread. I figured making a gun like this shoot well enough so as not to embarrass myself would be a challenge. After my last match, make that EMBARRASS.

I have a good friend who has several classic single shots by name makers like Griffin & Howe and Shelhamer. He lets one go occasionally. Since they don't have the mass appeal of a .270 mountain rifle, they aren't as expensive on the collector's market but you are still looking at $3000.00 t0 $4000.00 for a good one with a Unertl. The Unertls are getting really expensive. I'd like a 1-1/2" Unertl Target in 15X or thereabouts for this gun. That would cost me in the $650.00 to $800.00 range if I could find a good one. Unertls are quite active on eBay and there are too many people looking to ever get a real deal.

What does one check to make the scope is good that is very valuable information for someone like myself.

JLouis

Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    What does one check to make the scope is good that is very valuable information for someone like myself.

JLouis
    All I'm going to check is to see if there are any burrs on the scope bases and if there is any problem where the mounts fit over them. Burrs can make it tricky to get a solid, secure tightening of the scope to the rifle. I sent it out to the scope repair guy in Ohio when I got it and he said everything was fine. He told me that it was made in 1940 and that, based on condition, it may never have been on a gun. He also told me to use a quarter in the slot to tighten the mounts to the bases. I have been just using my fingers so I will probably get them a little snugger. I am very reluctant to use more force than is necessary... which may have been my problem.

As far as the internals of the scope, I won't even try to mess with that.

unertl repair guy

Dick what's the name of the guy that works on Unertls. I have one that needs cleaned and maybe one lens might need reglued.

Again great rifle.

Hal

Pardon me

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    Dick what's the name of the guy that works on Unertls. I have one that needs cleaned and maybe one lens might need reglued.

Again great rifle.

Hal
    for jumping in, but Iron Sight works on them however there is a significant dwell time...12 to 16 months.

Dick that little screw in upper right hand corner on the rear mount can need minor adjustments from time to time. What I do is secure the barrel in a padded vise and put a dial indicator on top of the end of the bell. The magnet base is attached to the flat on the side of the vise and I then start clicking the elevation adustment and watch how far the indicator needle moves. If not equal going through at least a full turn I then tighten that little screw until it does. I then move the indicator to the side of the bell and check the same for windage. If done right it will turn a bad scope into a very good one. That is if the lens are not separating and quite typical but easy to see if so and the spring and plunger are moving freely. It is also wise to check the fit of the front mount to the Pope Rid and easy to correct if needed. I hope this is somewhat helpful and as you said the bases are very prone to burrs developing if over tightened and simple enough to just stone them off.

JLouis

tuning unertl

Dick that little screw in upper right hand corner on the rear mount can need minor adjustments from time to time. What I do is secure the barrel in a padded vise and put a dial indicator on top of the end of the bell. The magnet base is attached to the flat on the side of the vise and I then start clicking the elevation adustment and watch how far the indicator needle moves. If not equal going through at least a full turn I then tighten that little screw until it does. I then move the indicator to the side of the bell and check the same for windage. If done right it will turn a bad scope into a very good one. That is if the lens are not separating and quite typical but easy to see if so and the spring and plunger are moving freely. It is also wise to check the fit of the front mount to the Pope Rid and easy to correct if needed. I hope this is somewhat helpful and as you said the bases are very prone to burrs developing if over tightened and simple enough to just stone them off.
    heard of.

JLouis
    J L
    Thanks for posting that information on fine tuning Unertl scopes. That's something I've never heard of.

Hal

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post

Again great rifle.

Hal
    The guy I am referring to is temporarily out of business caring for a sick relative. He has answered a couple of emails but is doing no work till further notice.

However, Bill Ackerman's company is still in business and will work on Unertls. I called Cheryl there a while back about boosting this scope to 12X and installing a dot and she said she could do it and quoted me 6 weeks delivery. Contact her at...

targetshooteroptics.com
    Ph: 915-740-4290

The guy in Ohio is a good guy but simply can't work right now. I asked him to let me know when he's back in business and I will supply contact information at that time. People that work on Unertls are getting hard to find.

Dick

Your welcome just becareful with that little screw. I have done several that way and so far its worked out very well. If the screw is to loose and quite typical the adjustments get very erratic. It might jump .010 with one click and then non the next etc. it will also stiffen up the clicks making them very positive. I hope it works as well for you as it has me and if to tight you won't be able to turn the thimble sort of a fine line as it does not really take that much to adjust it from being to tight or to loose the indicator will let you know when its just right.

JLouis
    Last edited by Louis.J; 07-21-2017 at 01:56 PM.

I did the adjustments on the mounts and, also, seated the bullets so I jumped them .020" rather than the hard jam that I always use. The results were spectacular. My last four test groups ranged from 2/10" to 4/10" which is better than a No. 1 is supposed to shoot. Keep in mind that this is an 8-1/4 lb. gun with an 8X scope.

Old friend, Jim Hutchison, who has a ton of experience with a duece told me they always shoot better if jumped around .020". From my results, so far, he sure knows what he's talking about.

I am now in a big hurry to shoot it another match to see if I can redeem myself after the last one.

DickW did you find the scope needed some slight adjusting and if so how did that process work out for you. I will be looking forward to your match results and you sure do have your #1 shooting as good as it looks and it is one beautiful rifle. And to shoot it that well with an 8X scope is trully remarkable.

JLouis

DickW did you find the scope needed some slight adjusting and if so how did that process work out for you. I will be looking forward to your match results and you sure do have your #1 shooting as good as it looks and it is one beautiful rifle. And to shoot it that well with an 8X scope is trully remarkable.

JLouis
    I started BR in 1977 in Hunter Rifle matches at the Saginaw Field & Stream club. Hunter Rifle restricted scope power to 6X. I found that if you carefully quarter the black ring with the crosshairs that you could actually aim the rifle very precisely. Whoever designed that target had their head screwed on straight.

In my last years of serious BR competition I used a 45X Leup Comp scope with Gene Davis's optical booster that took the power up to 60X. This is a big difference but you really can do it with a low power scope. It helps if the crosshairs are in perfect focus and that you have totally eliminated any parallax.

Funny story about my first benchrest match... back then I heard they were having matches for hunting rifles at the club. At that time I had had an NRA Master classification in smallbore rifle for eight years. I took my little Sako .308 deer rifle and went to the match thinking, "These phouls have no idea what's gonna happen. They got a tiger by the tail and don't know it."

Thank God, I didn't share these thoughts with anyone else. Everybody else was shooting funny looking guns with plastic stocks and shiny barrels. I took last place by a considerable margin.

"Them ain't hunting rifles. They're cheating."

"Hunter Rifles, fool."

At that time the company I worked for was doing business with Shilen Rifles. The next Monday I got on the horn and told Doug Shilen, "Doug I gotta problem."

Doug told me where to buy a Shilen DGA rifle in .222. I did so.

I won the next match.
    Last edited by dickw; 07-25-2017 at 05:39 AM.

Your welcome just becareful with that little screw. I have done several that way and so far its worked out very well. If the screw is to loose and quite typical the adjustments get very erratic. It might jump .010 with one click and then non the next etc. it will also stiffen up the clicks making them very positive. I hope it works as well for you as it has me and if to tight you won't be able to turn the thimble sort of a fine line as it does not really take that much to adjust it from being to tight or to loose the indicator will let you know when its just right.

JLouis
    This is a very early Unertl from back in the days when Unertl bought the mounts from Lyman. There is no screw like the one that you are talking about. I have a good set of the Unertl mounts and, if I do send it out for the bump and the crosshairs next winter, I will probably have them install the Unertl mounts simply because I like the looks of them better. It's easy to tell if the mounts came from Lyman... they are black rather than the polished aluminum Unertls. Like I said, this scope was made in 1940.