Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: My new benchrest rifle...

I shot the gun in a score match at Tawas yesterday. I improved my score by about forty points over the last match and could shoot tens at will as long as the wind was consistant.

After properly securing the scope I had tried 2015 powder at home and found it worked very well in the duece. However, yesterday the shooter was woefully lacking. After shooting very little the last few years I simply couldn't cope with the wind which must have been at least 20 mph a good deal of the time and which was constantly switching. My fourth group was the perfect example... My sighter was a good ten. I had to hold on the inside edge of the black at 4 o'clock to shoot it when the wind was at full bellow... No problem. Three of my five shots for record were the same... good tens. However, I missed a let-up on two shots and they went straight up and hit the inside edge of the black at 3 o'clock. If I had been shooting group that two would have been in one hole. Ditto the three tens. They would have all touched.

Me... I'm immensely relieved. I have been afraid that the darn thing wouldn't shoot after I had spent the last two years making it. For a competition benchrest gun my goals and expectations are very modest... I just wanta shoot tens. Repeating myself, this is a 8 lb. 4 oz. .222 on a Ruger No. 1 with an 8X Unertl. It's shooting better than I've been told it can.

I don't know what velocity I am getting but will get out the chronograph and find out soon. I do know that, if I go up half a grain, it starts to crater and the primer gets kinda flat. I won't be able to go up much. FWIW I am using 24.0 grains of the old Isreali 2015 which is forty-one and a half clicks on my Jones.

The shooter needs to shoot in the wind a lot or quit and go fishing. Thank God I have a lot of good .22 bullets.
    Last edited by dickw; 08-06-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Dick, If you decide

to try for the X dot, a higher X unertl would be the ticket.

Dick,

You managed the 20 mph switching wind the best you could and you shot GREAT with your new deuce! However, you are not allowed to go fishing on match days!

Matt
    Last edited by pikedrop; 08-06-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    to try for the X dot, a higher X unertl would be the ticket.
    I'm thinking seriously about sending the scope out this winter for a bump to 12X and a 1/2" dot. This, obviously, is a dual purpose gun and that would be about as far as I would want to go. The Unertl is extremely clear, the crosshairs are sharp and you would be surprised just how precisely you can aim it with the Hunter target. Ask the Hunter Rifle shooters of the world who are limited to 6X.

In spite of my score I'm happy that the gun will now shoot. In contrast, the shooter needs a lot of bench time... my performance was woefully lacking Saturday. No way could I cope with the wind velocity and the switches. Practice, practice, practice.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by pikedrop View Post
    Dick,

You managed the 20 mph switching wind the best you could and you shot GREAT with your new deuce! However, you are not allowed to go fishing on match days!

Matt
    What a handle like "Pikedrop" you must be interested in pike fishing... I just happen to own most of a lake which has good pike fishing. Hitch your boat up and come on up and we'll catch some. The State of Michigan owns part of the Eastern shore of the lake (I own the rest) and they have a boat landing over there.

Not on match days, of course.

I wish I had a couple of hours to shoot on that range and in that wind before the next match. I might be able to figure out how to handle it better. It was a fun match and it was good to see some folks I haven't seen in years. I really appreciate Eric and all his help.