Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: My new benchrest rifle...

I took this today whilst doing load work-up. More to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dickw View Post
    Michigan shooters... pay attention. Our matches are centrally located just west of Mt. Pleasant. We like to think that they are friendly, fair and fun. We give better than normal prizes this year since Jay's Sporting Goods decided to sponsor us. Winning either class will get you a Jay's gift certificate, twenty bucks cash from the club and one of the neat pins that Matt ordered for us.

If you are interested, contact me or Matt (pikedrop) and we will get you match schedules that have both a map and directions. The club is easy to find.

This year we have a special bonus... I have been elected, like it or not, to stop on my way to the match and pick up donuts from Cops and Doughnuts, the world famous bakery in Clare. I thought I got a ton of them last match and they just flat out disappeared. Screw the match... the donuts are worth the trip.

Matty... have some respect. Unertl is spelled... U-n-e-r-t-l.

I thought it looked wrong when I sent it!

Thumbs up

What a fine rifle Sir!

After a couple of days of shooting I decided to rub another coat of finish on the stock. It will be in the vise for a couple of days till it's perfectly dry. I have a hundred cases that need cleaning and sizing whilst I wait... next match is Saturday. Lots to do.
    Last edited by dickw; 06-19-2017 at 05:56 AM.

wonderful

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story of your beautiful rifle. May I suggest that you post your photos with descriptions to your Profile?
    With your "old" technology, you can teach many of us how to shoot a rifle from the bench.
    Thankyou.

Drippin' class, Dick....drippin' class. -Al

Now that the gun is pretty much done, I will try to get some better pictures. We'll see if Photobucket will let me post this.

Dick

Try again... That's better. I'll delete the above.

This is the pic that was supposed to be in the post above image from Photobucket.

Anyway, there's a few detail left to do and a lot of tuning. It's not shooting like it did a year ago when I shot it in the pattern stocks.
    Last edited by dickw; 07-04-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Try again. O.K. this is the other side of the completed rifle. The color is washed out here. The one above is better. Again, image by Imgur.
    Last edited by dickw; 07-04-2017 at 08:23 AM.

The first target I shot in the rifle's first match. The range was 100 yds. I kinda yanked on the trigger on the number one bull... new gun, new trigger, three years of very little shooting. What can I say?

I think there's potential here. This is an 8-1/4 lb. gun with an 8X scope.
    Last edited by dickw; 07-04-2017 at 08:26 AM.

I shot the Ruger in it's third match Saturday with really terrible results. It was the second worst score I have ever shot, the only worse one was in my first match ever when I shot my little Sako .308 hunting rifle. That was forty years ago.

I either have a scope problem or a fore-end bedding problem or both. Since it's nearly a month till the next match I have time to try to find out and correct the problem. I have another Unertl here that will fit and I will try that first.

I didn't have any time last week to work on the gun. My wife was in the hospital and that kept me really busy. I did have 50 sized and primed cases and simple picked a load and dumped powder and seated bullets. Glorya was home by Saturday and I had a volunteer "Granny sitter" and could go to the match.

The load I picked was Sierra's accuracy load for a duece with 52 gr. bullets... 24.6 gr. of IMR 4895. It proved to be too hot. The gun was about 5" off when we started (?????) and it took me a while to sight it in. Then my first two shots for record were good X's. Alas, everything went straight to 'ell from there. About the only thing I know is that the gun does not like hot loads... and 24.6 gr. ain't that hot in a .222.

Lots of work to do. I honestly think this gun can be made to shoot and shoot well. We'll see.

FWIW the target above is the best target I have shot with the gun.
    Last edited by dickw; 07-17-2017 at 08:03 AM.

I switched scopes and shot this morning. I used Remington's old load of 23-1/2 gr. of 4895. I got four good groups (out of four) between 2/10" and 4/10". The gun will shoot. When I first went to sight in this morning i found the scope was loose after a shot or two. I tightened the scope mounts good (finger tight... no pipe wrenches) and everything went perfectly.

Now I have to see if can do the same with my own scope. The one I used is borrowed from a friend.

Immensely relieved. It's almost two years since I started making and stocking this gun.

Hope your wife is doing OK

Dick, I hope your wife is out of the hospital and doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by vtmarmot View Post
    Dick, I hope your wife is out of the hospital and doing well.
    Glorya was hugely dehydrated... she lost seventeen lbs. in a week or two. (Her normal weight is 115 and she was down to 98.) She got properly hydrated in the hospital and a major change in medications. She is home and much better now.

That's pretty scary! Glad they got her some fluids. It's a reminder how fast things can go off the rails health-wise and how we have to be more vigilant the older we get.