Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Scope, IR50/50 sporter

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    108

    Scope, IR50/50 sporter

    I am going to shoot some outdoor IR50/50 matches this coming season. I have a new 10.5 rifle for shooting 10.5 and 13.5 class being built right now. My question pertains to the sporter class and a scope choice. I do not not have the funds for two rifles (sporter and heavy classes) at this time. I am going to put together a sporter from existing inventory and was hoping to use an existing scope as well. I have a Nikon Monarch 6-24 x 50 SF FHTD scope that makes weight on the currently stocked action I will use. I need to restock that barreled action to meet the convex rule and I am sure the rifle will still make weight. I have a used stock ordered and can do the work myself.

    The Nikon is bright, clear and while it is SF, it only goes down to 50yd on focus. I have not shot it at this range as it does double duty on my best AR and a coyote bolt rifle. Is there a scope for sporter that could be recommended for something I would use when I finally get the sporter specific rifle I will most likely get in the future. I am filling in the sporter rifle now on the recommendation of a friend that is the MD at the club I will shoot at. He and I shot ARA UL against each other last season. I agree doing the 3 gun thing would be good. I can afford another scope, so looking for advise. A lighter scope would be nice instead of the big heavy Nikon variable. Could put more weight into the stock for lower center of gravity.

    Respectfully,
    Scott
    Last edited by doclu60; 12-06-2016 at 11:10 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    265

    Sporter Scope

    Scott:

    I have this Leupold Scope and like it very much.

    https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...s/fx-3-6x42mm/

    Be careful when ordering. They make 5 or 6 models and only one has the Adjustable Objective - Competition Hunter is the model name. Model number is- 66825.

    Bruce Hornstein

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,208

    I saw a nice Weaver this summer;

    Dave Strait has it, very clear and bright and not a lot of cash he said. I don't remember the model # but I believe it has 1/8" clicks and small crosshairs and dot. Light weight too!

    Pete

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
    Scott:

    I have this Leupold Scope and like it very much.

    https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...s/fx-3-6x42mm/

    Be careful when ordering. They make 5 or 6 models and only one has the Adjustable Objective - Competition Hunter is the model name. Model number is- 66825.

    Bruce Hornstein
    Bruce,
    Thanks for the info. I have a call into their custom shop to see if it can be had with 1/8 moa adjustments.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    Dave Strait has it, very clear and bright and not a lot of cash he said. I don't remember the model # but I believe it has 1/8" clicks and small crosshairs and dot. Light weight too!

    Pete
    Pete,
    How does one get in touch with Mr. Strait?
    Thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by doclu60 View Post
    Bruce,
    Thanks for the info. I have a call into their custom shop to see if it can be had with 1/8 moa adjustments.
    It does not, I've had 2. Frankly that really is not a problem since at 50 they become 1/8 anyway and you are usually holding off to some degree quite often.
    The problem, IF, there is one is because parralax only goes down to 50yards, you are right on the edge. There are some you can get all the parralax out and there are some you cannot, I've owned both. Same thing with the Weaver, some are a lot better than others.
    Last edited by tim; 12-07-2016 at 02:55 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boothbay Harbor, ME
    Posts
    601
    I use a older Burris 6x w/ dot of late. I pretty much hate dots but for some reason have no trouble with this particular one.
    I've also used a Weaver V series 4-16 that I actually like better. Its heavy though & gets me too close to weight.
    Scott, sending you a pm.

    Keith

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    185

    Used Weaver

    Another vote for the Weaver T6. I have two that I use on IR sporters and they are bright and are easy to get the paralax and focus right. Clicks are positive and both have been reliable for many years.



    Dennis

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    108
    Keith, Tim, and Dennis,

    Thank you all for your replies. This whole sporter thing is kinda funky after shooting ARA UL last season. The 10.5 rifle is no issue and I have shot against several in Iowa that use that rifle for ARA UL as well. The sporter is a whole different animal, as you all know. Finding a scope with reliable parallax and a decent reticle is difficult to some extent. I do agree with Tim that scopes only going down to 50 yd is at the limit. I only wanted 1/8 moa because that is what I am used to. Would be great if a mfg made a purpose built IR sporter scope. You know, 6.5X, parallax down to 25 yd, good target reticle, light......yes, I am dreaming!

    I am putting this whole thing together on a less than perfect platform in the first place. Be that as it is, I still agree with my friend, who did some mentoring of me last season, that shooting the sporter with it's obvious restrictions will benefit my heavier classes in IR and ARA UL.

    I will continue looking into to this whole scope issue. While I am going on the cheap for a sporter rifle this year, I will still have a very good (I hope) 10.5 rifle for heavier classes and it will be a very good back up rifle for my ARA UL rifle. Should the IR thing really trip my trigger, I would have no issue in a purpose built sporter rifle next year. Having a proper scope in advance would be a good thing.

    If anyone else has more on this subject, please post.

    Happy Holidays to all,
    Scott

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by doclu60 View Post
    Keith, Tim, and Dennis,

    Thank you all for your replies. This whole sporter thing is kinda funky after shooting ARA UL last season. The 10.5 rifle is no issue and I have shot against several in Iowa that use that rifle for ARA UL as well. The sporter is a whole different animal, as you all know. Finding a scope with reliable parallax and a decent reticle is difficult to some extent. I do agree with Tim that scopes only going down to 50 yd is at the limit. I only wanted 1/8 moa because that is what I am used to. Would be great if a mfg made a purpose built IR sporter scope. You know, 6.5X, parallax down to 25 yd, good target reticle, light......yes, I am dreaming!

    I am putting this whole thing together on a less than perfect platform in the first place. Be that as it is, I still agree with my friend, who did some mentoring of me last season, that shooting the sporter with it's obvious restrictions will benefit my heavier classes in IR and ARA UL.

    I will continue looking into to this whole scope issue. While I am going on the cheap for a sporter rifle this year, I will still have a very good (I hope) 10.5 rifle for heavier classes and it will be a very good back up rifle for my ARA UL rifle. Should the IR thing really trip my trigger, I would have no issue in a purpose built sporter rifle next year. Having a proper scope in advance would be a good thing.

    If anyone else has more on this subject, please post.

    Happy Holidays to all,
    Scott
    Remember, you asked about some scopes, you did not ask about an ideal scope, they are out there and if you really want to shoot a sporter well you may end up with one.
    Several folks have gone to the Leupold 4.5-14X LRT scopes. Short, light, clear, 30 mm tube with side focus. They need a couple changes. There used to be a guy that had everything done by the custom shop and you paid one all in price and got a scope with the standard tactical reticle changed to a fine hair with or without small dot and the side focus on the 30 mm tube changed so center of focus switched to 50 yards allowing you to focus down to 25 yds.
    You can still get all this done but you have to do it yourself.
    You shoot behind one of these you will never go back, but they cost money......like everything else.
    Last edited by tim; 12-08-2016 at 09:51 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    56
    I had the chanch to look through a lyman 6x that had been setup for a sporter. I dont know what had been done to the scope but it was a real piece of work. Todd

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2
    Scott

    Check out the Luppy Vx-2 6-18x40 adj. obj. target dot with target knobs, weight 15 ozs, I use this on my sporter and have no problems with it. Part # 110817
    We shot together at the last two IA ARA matches, I was using a Anschutz 1913 at the last match.

    Good Luck

    Steve

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    108

    sporter scope

    Tim, Todd, and Steve
    More good information! I feel less 'lost' now as I continue to search for glass. If nothing else, it's good to hear what others are shooting on their sporters.

    Tim, that sounds like a good option. Leupold custom shop still has not returned my call on another scope I was interested in custom work on. I appreciate the other option and your opinion.

    Todd, thanks for entering the fray!

    Steve, that is a light weight variable. I think I know who you are. You share a ride with another shooter I believe. Just don't know which of you is which!! I appreciate your input and know you shoot at North Linn in IR matches. I will see you there this next season. Hope you will also come to Oak Hill club again. I must say, you reminding me of that last match was a bit painful! Trying to forget a 225 point lead going into the last card and having the wheels come off for a second behind 'The Wiz'!! New guy nerves. Look forward to seeing you this upcoming season!

    Thanks everyone!
    Scott

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    56
    Scott, send me a email todd.gtauto@gmail.com.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    MD eastern shore
    Posts
    922
    My suggestion is do NOT spend money on any scope for your sporter until you have the rifle built and know exact weight. Weight could well dictate what scope(s) you should consider as a possible purchase.

    I did not do that when I built my sporter and wound up finding a Burris 6x that weighed 1/2 ounce less than the Leupold I had. I was 1/2 ounce over 7.5 pounds with the Leupold and thus the rifle was useless until I lost that 1/2 ounce. 7.501 pounds will get you DQ'd every time. bob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •