Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Barrel life

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    37

    Barrel life

    What's the barrel life on a 1 7/16 dia. barrel!? (6ppc)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,192
    I'm sure you're talking about "winning" life. If the barrel will win in its beginning, you'll need to start looking for another winner in about 1000 rounds. That's just a ballpark as nobody knows the actual answer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    37
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Down By the Cedar River
    Posts
    1,109
    I've been told that the barrel that just won the 200 and Grand at the NBRSA Nationals has over 1,300 rounds through it.

    Later
    Dave

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,192
    The best barrel I ever had, both in accuracy and longevity, lasted a complete 2500 shots. I'm saying it was capable of winning for those 2500 shots. It entirely died (entirely) from one target to the next....Fairchance...nationals...the whole nine yards. Truth is, after the first 1500 shots, I knew I was taking a chance and it finally caught up with me.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coots View Post
    I've been told that the barrel that just won the 200 and Grand at the NBRSA Nationals has over 1,300 rounds through it.

    Later
    Dave
    Dave, I'd say if anyone would know how many rounds the barrel had on that won the UL 200 and Grand, you would. Job well done. Congratulations again.

    Mike

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    47
    I had a barrel on my LV/SP/HV where I won the 100 and LV Grand at the Raton Nationals one year and was in 2nd place the next Nationals in St Louis going into the last 3 groups and shot 3 big groups and thought the barrel went out, I had 5 shells in my loading block after the last target HV200 put them down range into the sighter and it was a .3XX @200, that barrel had 45XX rounds thru it, Also I had a barrel that was only a practice barrel until it had about 800 rounds through it then shot like wildfire set a couple of 200yds range records before it completely burn out 4-5" in the throat at 1100 rounds.during a match, in other words I have no clue....


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bryant View Post
    Dave, I'd say if anyone would know how many rounds the barrel had on that won the UL 200 and Grand, you would. Job well done. Congratulations again.

    Mike

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,449
    Dave makes a good point. Really good barrels tend to shoot at a competitive rate longer than barrels that were just average from the get go. Set them back, and they keep shooting.

    Some barrels never are competitive. I arrived the Friday before the Nationals with a new barrel on my Rail Gun. I spent 3 days trying various combinations, and it was locked into about a .300 10-shot Agg capability. In short, it was dead on arrival. Nothing like going though 16 10-shot groups through two days of shooting knowing you are shooting a "second pager".

    I left a set back barrel at home, (forgot to put it in the truck), one that was a proven performer.

    My hats off to Dave and Larry. Their Unlimited performance was awe inspiring.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,192
    Sorry that happened Jackie...wish I could say it won't happen again. I've known folks that would simply quit shooting when their rifle wasn't up to par but I could never bring myself to do that. I'm a bit envious of those folks that can just quit!! You could have saved a pound of powder and 200 bullets if you had just quit.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    Sorry that happened Jackie...wish I could say it won't happen again. I've known folks that would simply quit shooting when their rifle wasn't up to par but I could never bring myself to do that. I'm a bit envious of those folks that can just quit!! You could have saved a pound of powder and 200 bullets if you had just quit.
    Wilbur, I am fortunate I had a couple of decent LV barrels. At least I was able to get enough back after that Unlimited fiasco to salvage a Top 20 overall. That made the 18 hour drive back to Houston a tad more palatable.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    321
    Coots,

    I would not trust that guy that gave you the round count!

    Mark

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Down By the Cedar River
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by markharp View Post
    Coots,

    I would not trust that guy that gave you the round count!

    Mark
    No kidding.....

    Later
    Dave

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •