Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerry Sharret.......Rail Gun Barrel Block Torque

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coots View Post
    Sounds like a barrel problem.

Later
    Dave
    Dave, as well as the thing is shooting now, I consider the problems solved.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Dave, as well as the thing is shooting now, I consider the problems solved.
    Barrel problem, as in Good Barrel.......

Later
    Dave

Jackie and others. Have any of you considered using a front sleeve/block on the action? By that I mean holding the receiver ring in the block by gluing it in. The barrel and from the front of that loading port the action floats. I have one built decades ago and it always worked and over the years built several for customers. I would epoxy a sleeve on the receiver ring then mount the action on a mandrel and turn the bushing true to the action. Leaving a small shoulder at the rear of the bushing for alignment purposes. When I put the action in the block I would have the action vertical and let gravity and the shoulder align the action perpendicular to the block. Just thinking outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tooley View Post
    Jackie and others. Have any of you considered using a front sleeve/block on the action? By that I mean holding the receiver ring in the block by gluing it in. The barrel and from the front of that loading port the action floats. I have one built decades ago and it always worked and over the years built several for customers. I would epoxy a sleeve on the receiver ring then mount the action on a mandrel and turn the bushing true to the action. Leaving a small shoulder at the rear of the bushing for alignment purposes. When I put the action in the block I would have the action vertical and let gravity and the shoulder align the action perpendicular to the block. Just thinking outside the box.
    Dave, did you have the scope mounted on the action like I now have on my Rail?

If my mental picture of what you said is correct, you would have a very stress free set-up.

One of the best shooting Rails I ever had to shoot against was simply one of those old Kelbly Polar Actions glued to a H Beam top, with the barrel free floating. The kid that was shooting it worked for Speedy. They had a barrel that was actually a set-back that Speedy had acquired from a well known shooter.

That thing would put one bullet on top of another, shooting as fast as the kid could load it.

If I had one of those Polar Actions, I would glue it to the top of my Rail with the barrel just hanging out, and see what it would do.

Jackie,

The scope is mounted on the block. With the block being one piece and screwed and bedded to the main frame I didn't think there was any benefit to mounting it on the action. I've made them out of steel and aluminum. I put the hole through the block, then true the outside to the hole. Jeff Summers once had one with a big Hall action that Bill Hall made and he turned the receiver down on the action and glued it in.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    \\

If I had one of those Polar Actions, I would glue it to the top of my Rail with the barrel just hanging out, and see what it would do.
    Jackie, what you have here is what I call a cantilever setup. John Lewis and I made a 3/4" spacer to set a Panda action just high enough so it cleared the existing vee block so it didn't have to be removed each time. We did this mostly to have a more stable platform to test tapered barrels. It works great.

The scope was mounted on the existing Kelbly rail and rings.

As to where and how the scope is mounted, isn't the scope on a rail just to get you on target? I can't see how the scope can stay in sync with the firing mechanism below. When I sit, over a period of time and watch the scope cross hairs change location without anything at all else moving???