Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: your action pick TODAY

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    On this note......I planned on milling out the trigger slot from day one anyway because I want to run the barreled action in and out for balance. Is this completely out-to-lunch or what??? I don't see any setups where guys slide the barrel fore and aft for setup. What am I missing?
    Don't know about anyone else but I've been playing around for years clamping the barreled action anyplace from the receiver ring to the crown.

Don't bother asking what I've observed or discovered though, because my set-up is for RF and not CF. I can almost guarantee you'll see behavior entirely different than I did.

Landy

May be in the system...

I'm just using what I observed here. When I got my rail and had a barrel chambered it shot very well as quickly as I could shoot it. The barrel wore out and I put on another exactly the same as before. If you shot that barrel the same as the first one it just wouldn't shoot. If you paused between shots it was capable of winning but not nearly as good as the first barrel. Perhaps the first barrel ruined me for good!

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerP7M8 View Post
    Don't know about anyone else but I've been playing around for years clamping the barreled action anyplace from the receiver ring to the crown.

Don't bother asking what I've observed or discovered though, because my set-up is for RF and not CF. I can almost guarantee you'll see behavior entirely different than I did.

Landy

I like purple

I also like that trick where the top clamp turns into Marb reds

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    I also like that trick where the top clamp turns into Marb reds
    Thats what happens in my shop

Two cents worth... shooting a rail well is more like shooting a bag gun than you might think. I've seen more matches lost because of shooting fast than I've seen won because someone could shoot faster. My Bat 3L top-loader nearly got kicked down the road when I bounced the gun at last years Nats on 2 shots (1 at a 100, and 1 at 200) and cost myself 4 HOF points. Yep -- I saw my condition, went fast, and didn't see it when I jacked the gun with the normal 3L 'slightly stiff' bolt lift. The lesson is this: Gun handling is critical -- even with a 60# rail. Don't be surprised if you see my old Powell sporting a well-worn Bat-B this year.

Rod

I would just get a standard R/L non ejector Panda and convert it to a drop port. It's not that difficult, just put a Sako Extractor on the bottom between the lugs and cut a slot in the bottom.

This is assuming Stiller is no longer making them. What's the word on that.

I have a drop port Diamonback on my rail.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 04-18-2016 at 10:10 PM.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    I would just get a standard R/L non ejector Panda and convert it to a drop port. It's not that difficult, just put a Sako Extractor on the bottom between the lugs and cut a slot in the bottom.

Last word I got was Jerry was dealing with a big govt contract for tactical actions and his rimfire action leaving the centerfire benchrest actions on the back burner.

Rail Action

RBLPRE Bat B 2" diameter for extra weight is what's on mine. Works for me. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dowd View Post
    RBLPRE Bat B 2" diameter for extra weight is what's on mine. Works for me. Dave
    Dave, is that a spring eject or mechanical? Reason I ask is my RLR guns (including a BAT) all ding my necks....

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post

As it sits it looks as though this is my only option for a drop port, converting one myself. My plan right now is to do one on a 700 for practice, (mainly to get the spacing and hole size right) then decide on an action.

Some of the guys I've spoken with say "sure we'll do it" until it gets right to the wire then it's "well, Jerry did patent the process.....maybe better not" others just outright will not touch the idea, feeling that it's Jerry's property.

Smile

[QUOTE=alinwa;777432]Dave, is that a spring eject or mechanical? Reason I ask is my RLR guns (including a BAT) all ding my necks....[/QU Are you sure the action is the problem? Spring eject. I have NEVER had a problem with dinged necks in a half dozen BATs I have owned.(all spring eject) I do not know if BAT makes a mechanical eject bolt. I have a Velcro pad on the base of the rail in case brass lands there. Dave

Ive never seen one ding the necks either. I got em from an sb to an m with a big top port thrown in and owned countless others and never seen a neck get dinged

Kelbly's has a top load in the in stock actions list
    I wish someone would buy it. It's killing me I need one for the rail I got from you, Dusty

FYI drop ports are not slower at all. I build them on Pandas and Borden BRMs and have tried to run the bolt fast enough to catch the case before it drops, cant do it. Both Jim, and Ian will sell you a left port with a no eject/extract just add a mini 16 at 6 o-clock and cut the port. I am sure you could get one with no port and you could cut a top port if thats what you want. Nice thing is no ejector hole for brass flow. My top pick is the Borden for its fire control. Timed, well guided pin, and plenty of energy. Bat will make you a drop port if you ask so will Defiance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTSAiRZj_48
    Last edited by zfastmalibu; 05-05-2016 at 08:26 PM.